+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of SOWP

KPR_G

Feb 29, 2016
Hi All,

I am on SOWP and is currently working full time. My OWP is expiring on 27 Feb 2020, same as that of study permit of my Husband.
I want to apply for Extension of my OWP, how can i do that?

1. Do i need to have 3 payslips of my husband's job in NOC-0,A,B category?
2. Can something be done if my employer is OK to give me full time offer letter or any sort of help required.?

Please revert.
Thanks in advance

Eyecandy

Nov 6, 2019
Hi,
Yes if your husband is studying here he will apply for post graduate work permit along with his file you can also apply for your SOWP extension, but to extend your work permit your husband need a O, A or B category job with recent pay stubs. It is clearly mentioned on CIC website.
After completing my studies, in June I applied for post graduate work permit and applied for extension of spouse OWP. my work permit got approved in September but spouse OWP refused stating Prime applicant is not having O,A and B category job. We did a mistake we were not knowing about it. I have reapplied for his restoration of OWP on Oct 1st,still waiting.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I am on SOWP and is currently working full time. My OWP is expiring on 27 Feb 2020, same as that of study permit of my Husband.

2. Can something be done if my employer is OK to give me full time offer letter or any sort of help required.?

Please revert.
Thanks in advance
1. If you are applying based on your spouse's PGWP, he needs a skilled job and the 3 payslips.

2. Your employer needs a positive LMIA for you to be able to apply for a work permit based on your job.

KPR_G

Feb 29, 2016
Hi,
Yes if your husband is studying here he will apply for post graduate work permit along with his file you can also apply for your SOWP extension, but to extend your work permit your husband need a O, A or B category job with recent pay stubs. It is clearly mentioned on CIC website.
After completing my studies, in June I applied for post graduate work permit and applied for extension of spouse OWP. my work permit got approved in September but spouse OWP refused stating Prime applicant is not having O,A and B category job. We did a mistake we were not knowing about it. I have reapplied for his restoration of OWP on Oct 1st,still waiting.
Thanks for your reply. so you then applied for Visitor visa for your spouse?
and after you satisfy the condition of NOC 0,A,B and 3 pay slips you applied for OWP?

Reactions: Miracle2018

KPR_G

Feb 29, 2016
1. If you are applying based on your spouse's PGWP, he needs a skilled job and the 3 payslips.

2. Your employer needs a positive LMIA for you to be able to apply for a work permit based on your job.
If my employer gets a positive LMIA for my job, then i can apply independently of my husband's PGWP? ALso, in this case, if i get a LMIA, it will be a closed WP and i will have to work for this employer only and if i need to change i will have to chnage the conditions of my WP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If my employer gets a positive LMIA for my job, then i can apply independently of my husband's PGWP? ALso, in this case, if i get a LMIA, it will be a closed WP and i will have to work for this employer only and if i need to change i will have to chnage the conditions of my WP?
Yes, you could apply independently with an LMIA and it would be a closed work permit.

KPR_G

Feb 29, 2016
Yes, you could apply independently with an LMIA and it would be a closed work permit.
ok...so i can work for the period mentioned in that LMIA and if i want to change the job, i will have to ask for LMIA from another employer while applying for change in WP conditions?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ok...so i can work for the period mentioned in that LMIA and if i want to change the job, i will have to ask for LMIA from another employer while applying for change in WP conditions?
Yes.

Understand that the LMIA process is not that simple. It takes 4-6 months, costs the employer over $1000 (non-refundable even if refused) and has very strict requirements, so you are unlikely to be successful in this path.

KPR_G

Feb 29, 2016
Yes.

Understand that the LMIA process is not that simple. It takes 4-6 months, costs the employer over $1000 (non-refundable even if refused) and has very strict requirements, so you are unlikely to be successful in this path.
Got it, so to be on a safer side, wait for the Skilled Job Offer and 3 pay slips of my spouse and if i cant get that,apply for a visitor Visa

Reactions: Miracle2018

Eyecandy

Nov 6, 2019
and after you satisfy the condition of NOC 0,A,B and 3 pay slips you applied for OWP?
Hi.. now I have skilled worker job in b category so I have applied for spousal open work permit not visitor visa.

KPR_G

Feb 29, 2016
Hi.. now I have skilled worker job in b category so I have applied for spousal open work permit not visitor visa.
did you applied for your Spouse's Visitor first or u got your Job and Payslips in B Category before the expiry of your spouse's OWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
did you applied for your Spouse's Visitor first or u got your Job and Payslips in B Category before the expiry of your spouse's OWP?
You need the skilled job and payslips before your spouse can apply for an OWP.

N001

Dec 15, 2018
Hi All,

Please revert.
Thanks in advance
Hello,
My case is a bit different. And please share some details if you are aware as to how the process works in the following case
My husband is applying for study permit extension as his Study visa will expire in July 2020 but his course will end in Aug 2020.
I'm on spouse open work permit and working for a employer. Will i be getting an extension based on his Study permit extension or do i have to show my pay stubs or offer letter in this case?

N001

Dec 15, 2018
Hello folks,

My case is a bit different. And please share some details if you are aware as to how the process works in the following case

My husband is applying for study permit extension as his Study visa will expire in July 2020 but his course will end in Aug 2020.

I'm on spouse open work permit and working for a employer(got a tranfer from my previous employer) Will i be getting an extension based on his Study permit extension or do i have to show my pay stubs or offer letter in this case?

ambelElle0528

Feb 5, 2020
Hi I have problem and we need advice. My husband is under SOWP and his visa will expire this coming August 30, 2020 and mine is November 30, 2020. His visa will expire before mine. What is the most appropriate thing we will do. Thank you in advance for the help.