+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of post graduate work permit procedure after passport renewal

Rockytheten

Jun 13, 2017
Hi I am worried about my work permit extension. I have less than four months period to apply for work permit extension. Is there any way where I can get my Work permit earlier than 4 months. Can I apply Online ? If yes how, please help me.

Hi I am worried about my work permit extension. I have less than four months period to apply for work permit extension. Is there any way where I can get my Work permit earlier than 4 months. Can I apply Online ? If yes how, please help me.
You can apply by paper, you don't need 4 months as such

yugenshtil

Mar 20, 2019
Did you renew your passport?

No apply only BY PAPER
I would also recommend applying by paper. Regarding 4 months, you are supposed to get it faster and even you are still waiting for the extension you are legally allowed to keep working. So, I guess it should be the best option for you. Yes, I know some people applied online, but it is better to be on a safe side

Rockytheten

Jun 13, 2017
How early did you renew your passport? Can we Indians renew the passport as early as 1 year? The website says so?

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
I would also recommend applying by paper. Regarding 4 months, you are supposed to get it faster and even you are still waiting for the extension you are legally allowed to keep working. So, I guess it should be the best option for you. Yes, I know some people applied online, but it is better to be on a safe side

BUt my SIN is going to expire earlier than the work permit. So am I eligible to work with SIN

Bajinggirl

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
File Transfer...
16-12-2014
Med's Request
17-12-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2014
Interview........
NBI Clearance Requested 17-02-2015
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2015
LANDED..........
23-04-2015
Hello!
I graduated from my masters (fulltime student for a little over 3 years) on July 2018 and received my original PGWP on September 2018. However, due to passport expiry at time of application, my pgwp is only valid until Nov. 6, 2019. I renewed my passport and submitted PGWP extension application ONLINE last July 10, 2019.

Not very confident about submitting online extension application but I still did after hearing a friend of my friend did the same (online extension application, extension granted to his pgwp). I, by the way, already have an SINP Saskatchewan Work Experience - Student Stream nomination (received July 12, 2019 and valid until January 12, 2020, with restriction on employment). Still hoping for pgwp extension and hopefully apply for EE - CEC. SINP is for back-up in case pgwp extension fails.

Not very sure about all this. Still studying how best to move forward with immigration matters.

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Hello!
I graduated from my masters (fulltime student for a little over 3 years) on July 2018 and received my original PGWP on September 2018. However, due to passport expiry at time of application, my pgwp is only valid until Nov. 6, 2019. I renewed my passport and submitted PGWP extension application ONLINE last July 10, 2019.

Not very confident about submitting online extension application but I still did after hearing a friend of my friend did the same (online extension application, extension granted to his pgwp). I, by the way, already have an SINP Saskatchewan Work Experience - Student Stream nomination (received July 12, 2019 and valid until January 12, 2020, with restriction on employment). Still hoping for pgwp extension and hopefully apply for EE - CEC. SINP is for back-up in case pgwp extension fails.

Not very sure about all this. Still studying how best to move forward with immigration matters.
Hi there,

I am in the process of renewing my PGWP for the same reason as you. But I'm unsure of which mode to use- online or paper? I've seen so many people getting their PGWP renewed online but then when I called CIC, the agent mentioned the only way to do it is on paper. The International Services at my University also mentioned we can definitely do it online. Could you shed some light since you went through the process recently?

Thanks so much!

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Hi
Yes I applied on Mar 18,2019 to extend my PGWP online I got approved yesterday May 23,2019 ... I filled my application as a student...

Please if you need more help ..I can help you ..
Good luck
Hi Noor,

I am in the middle of PGWP renewal because of the same reason as all of us on this thread. I am however still unsure what method to use- online or paper? You mentioned yours got approved online. Do you know of other people who have done it online as well? I called CIC and they mentioned the only way to get this done is by paper. So I was preparing to submit it via mail. I want to make sure I am doing this right. Could you help?

Thanks a lot!

Bajinggirl

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
File Transfer...
16-12-2014
Med's Request
17-12-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2015
LANDED..........
23-04-2015
Hi there,

I am in the process of renewing my PGWP for the same reason as you. But I'm unsure of which mode to use- online or paper? I've seen so many people getting their PGWP renewed online but then when I called CIC, the agent mentioned the only way to do it is on paper. The International Services at my University also mentioned we can definitely do it online. Could you shed some light since you went through the process recently?

Thanks so much!
Hello,
I can never be sure until I get mine approved. But for now, I am still waiting. If you check CIC website, PGWP extension specifically should be done on paper. I did online only because I have friend of a friend who did online extension and got his pgwp extended. Also, I only have a little less than 4 months left before my original pgwp expires. You know, we are currently working and I would like to be able to monitor my application online and be able to provide Letter of Confirmation of application to employer as soon as pgwp expires. Did not know I could extend pgwp earlier as soon as new passport was on hand.
If your case is such that you have plenty of time (e.g. over 4 months) before your pgwp expires, then do paper application. Do not wait until expiry is close. It's (paper) the safest considering you followed their instruction for extension.
Hoping you'd be able to decide soon.

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Hello,
I can never be sure until I get mine approved. But for now, I am still waiting. If you check CIC website, PGWP extension specifically should be done on paper. I did online only because I have friend of a friend who did online extension and got his pgwp extended. Also, I only have a little less than 4 months left before my original pgwp expires. You know, we are currently working and I would like to be able to monitor my application online and be able to provide Letter of Confirmation of application to employer as soon as pgwp expires. Did not know I could extend pgwp earlier as soon as new passport was on hand.
If your case is such that you have plenty of time (e.g. over 4 months) before your pgwp expires, then do paper application. Do not wait until expiry is close. It's (paper) the safest considering you followed their instruction for extension.
Hoping you'd be able to decide soon.
Thanks for your response. My current PGWP expires next year in July, so I still have time. Although I do want to proceed with the paper application, one of the main concerns I have is the current address that we need to send the application too. While Unit 202 at the CPC is supposed to receive applications for extension, Unit 555 deals with all PGWP work. I'm quite confused about this and cannot send out anything until I know for sure. This is why I was considering going for an online application.

Bajinggirl

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
File Transfer...
16-12-2014
Med's Request
17-12-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2015
LANDED..........
23-04-2015
Thanks for your response. My current PGWP expires next year in July, so I still have time. Although I do want to proceed with the paper application, one of the main concerns I have is the current address that we need to send the application too. While Unit 202 at the CPC is supposed to receive applications for extension, Unit 555 deals with all PGWP work. I'm quite confused about this and cannot send out anything until I know for sure. This is why I was considering going for an online application.
Hi! My friend called me last night to inform that one of her friends recently got ONLINE pgwp extension application rejected after three months of waiting only because she did online application. They said it should be paper. So for me, I'd have to withdraw my online application instead of waiting for the 3rd month and possibly get a rejection. I'd probably just go for employer-specific work permit now. Sad. Bye to 2 years of supposed to be open work permit thru pgwp. Have your paper application completed soon. Good luck!

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Hi! My friend called me last night to inform that one of her friends recently got ONLINE pgwp extension application rejected after three months of waiting only because she did online application. They said it should be paper. So for me, I'd have to withdraw my online application instead of waiting for the 3rd month and possibly get a rejection. I'd probably just go for employer-specific work permit now. Sad. Bye to 2 years of supposed to be open work permit thru pgwp. Have your paper application completed soon. Good luck!
Sorry to hear that mate. I think this is a lesson for everyone who's trying to apply online. It is safest on paper. It may take long but it is the proper way to do it avoiding any risks.