+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of post graduate work permit procedure after passport renewal

vuk1408

May 22, 2019
Thank you

Hi guys, I ran into the same problem as you. My passport expires in July 2019 together with my PGWP (received PGWP only for 1 year and 6 months due to passport expiration after completing 4 year PhD program in Canada).
I've been out of school for a year and a half and definitely I am not a student anymore.

So in the online application in that automatic eligibility questionnaire on CIC website the only path for applying for the PGWP is to put current status in Canada as a Student. In IMM5710 I will put worker and write letter of explanation.

I am aware that there is possibility to apply for PGWP renewal through paper-based process (due to passport expiration date) but is this online method for extension that you guys referring legit or not? Can you please send a status for your processes if you applied online for PGWP extension?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

NoorNoha

Star Member
May 17, 2018
Hi guys, I ran into the same problem as you. My passport expires in July 2019 together with my PGWP (received PGWP only for 1 year and 6 months due to passport expiration after completing 4 year PhD program in Canada).
I've been out of school for a year and a half and definitely I am not a student anymore.

So in the online application in that automatic eligibility questionnaire on CIC website the only path for applying for the PGWP is to put current status in Canada as a Student. In IMM5710 I will put worker and write letter of explanation.

I am aware that there is possibility to apply for PGWP renewal through paper-based process (due to passport expiration date) but is this online method for extension that you guys referring legit or not? Can you please send a status for your processes if you applied online for PGWP extension?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Hi
Yes I applied on Mar 18,2019 to extend my PGWP online I got approved yesterday May 23,2019 ... I filled my application as a student...

Please if you need more help ..I can help you ..
Good luck

nomo

May 31, 2019
Hi
Yes I applied on Mar 18,2019 to extend my PGWP online I got approved yesterday May 23,2019 ... I filled my application as a student...

Please if you need more help ..I can help you ..
Good luck

Hi Noornoha,

I also would like to extend my Post Graduate Work Permit. The validity of my PGWP is only for one year, issued on March 22, 2019. When I submitted the application for the first time, I did not include my program completion letter. My official program was entitled for 18 to 24 months and I attended for 20 months. My question is "can we submit online submission again for the PGWP extension?" IMM5710 is not validated now as I am not a student at the moment (in No 7 Section). Can we still submit the previous IMM5710?

Thank you in advance.

NoorNoha

Star Member
May 17, 2018
Hi Noornoha,

I also would like to extend my Post Graduate Work Permit. The validity of my PGWP is only for one year, issued on March 22, 2019. When I submitted the application for the first time, I did not include my program completion letter. My official program was entitled for 18 to 24 months and I attended for 20 months. My question is "can we submit online submission again for the PGWP extension?" IMM5710 is not validated now as I am not a student at the moment (in No 7 Section). Can we still submit the previous IMM5710?

Thank you in advance.
Hi ,
Yes you still need to apply like the first time I mean fill the application as a student.. This link will help you I followed it and really it is help me
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-extension.275767/#post-4810369

nomo

May 31, 2019
Hi ,
Yes you still need to apply like the first time I mean fill the application as a student.. This link will help you I followed it and really it is help me
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-extension.275767/#post-4810369

Thank you for your reply and info. They help me. Just to confirm ... you submitted an online application, same as the previous time, didn't you?

My last question is that "fill the application as a student" so, it means you submitted IMM5710 without any changes? no validation?

Once, thank you again.

NoorNoha

Star Member
May 17, 2018
Yes ,online application same as the previous time ..Yes I submitted imm5710 STUDENT
I submitted explanation letter “I copy the one I found in the link I already sent to you and pay slips all what I did before ...

Don’t hesitate ask me anytime ..my pleasure to help

nomo

May 31, 2019
Yes ,online application same as the previous time ..Yes I submitted imm5710 STUDENT
I submitted explanation letter “I copy the one I found in the link I already sent to you and pay slips all what I did before ...

Appreciate your help. Thank you! Right now, I could not find to upload my application via online. May be, i have to go for submission by mail.

mahmoudhafez

Apr 1, 2019

Hey I applied to get my PGWP renewed through a paper application and its been almost 3 months and I havent heard anything. I remember when i applied the first time online I needed to submit my study permit and a certificate from university as well. Can you tell if you remember which documents you submitted?

Thanks

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
The exact answer is in the link below. You will need to apply by mail and don't forget to send a letter to explain your request to get the rest of the 3 years. Also, there should be a special remark but I don't remark that ends with "... ISSUED TO PASSPORT VALIDITY". Anyway, if you know that you are eligible for a 3 year PGWP, go for it. Good Luck!

link: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-extension.275767/#post-4810369
Hi I am worried about my work permit extension. I have less than four months period to apply for work permit extension. Is there any way where I can get my Work permit earlier than 4 months. Can I apply Online ? If yes how, please help me.

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
I just got my PGWP extended!
Initially, my PGWP was given for 9 months because of my old passport validity. I renewed my passport in Canada and applied for PGWP extension online. I filled the form exactly the same way as I did when I applied PGWP for the first time but I did attach a letter of explanation.
Hi I am worried about my work permit extension. I have less than four months period to apply for work permit extension. Is there any way where I can get my Work permit earlier than 4 months. Can I apply Online ? If yes how, please help me.

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
Hello all,

My PGWP is valid only for 21 months because of my passport expiry date. Now I got a new passport and I want to apply to extend my work permit. I read other threads regarding PGWP extension but I could not find a clear answer. I would be thankful if you help me with my questions.

1. Can you guys share your experience with PGWP extension and tell me how I have to apply (online or by mail), and how long the process would take? (Some people mentioned that their online application refused because for extension, they were supposed to apply by mail!!!)

2. On the remark section of my work permit, there is nothing but "POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT". Should my permit contains any other remarks in order to be qualified for extension?

Thanks,

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
Hello all,

My PGWP is valid only for 21 months because of my passport expiry date. Now I got a new passport and I want to apply to extend my work permit. I read other threads regarding PGWP extension but I could not find a clear answer. I would be thankful if you help me with my questions.

1. Can you guys share your experience with PGWP extension and tell me how I have to apply (online or by mail), and how long the process would take? (Some people mentioned that their online application refused because for extension, they were supposed to apply by mail!!!)

2. On the remark section of my work permit, there is nothing but "POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT". Should my permit contains any other remarks in order to be qualified for extension?

Thanks,

Reactions: Rockytheten

Rockytheten

Jun 13, 2017

Did you renew your passport?

No apply only BY PAPER