+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension for parents visit visa

Layla Fahad

Dec 29, 2017
Hi again. My mother is here on Visitor's Visa. I'm applying to extend her visa and i have to proof evidence on how she will support herself. When we applied for visa my sister gave her a gift deed of 2,000CAD. (She lives back home)
She's still supporting my mom and my mom will be living here with me, so no living expenses.
How much funds should i show? Also can i show my sister's bank statements as she will be supporting her?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi again. My mother is here on Visitor's Visa. I'm applying to extend her visa and i have to proof evidence on how she will support herself. When we applied for visa my sister gave her a gift deed of 2,000CAD. (She lives back home)
She's still supporting my mom and my mom will be living here with me, so no living expenses.
How much funds should i show? Also can i show my sister's bank statements as she will be supporting her?
She still needs to show she can support herself financially. You should be considering a supervisa if she wants to stay longer and is not in a good financial position. Would also make sure you have a plan B because extensions are not guaranteed and you seem to be planning for your mother to stay longterm.

Last edited:

Layla Fahad

Dec 29, 2017
She still needs to show she can support herself financially. You should be considering a supervisa if she wants to stay longer and is not in a good financial position. Would also make sure you have a plan B because extensions are not guaranteed and you seem to be planning for your mother to stay longterm.
Oh.. I’m not in a situation to apply for supervisa for now.. how about if my sister makes a gift deed again? Will that work?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh.. I’m not in a situation to apply for supervisa for now.. how about if my sister makes a gift deed again? Will that work?
Ok I read your background. Not sure how much your mother has in savings but sudden influx of cash is often discounted if it is clear that the person or their spouse didn’t earn the money. 2k is pretty minimal as well. Your mother is on a TRV and it doesn‘t sound like she is in a position where she has 15k+ of her own savings. It also sounds like you may not be working and are perhaps receiving welfare. You have mentioned that you want your mother to stay for another year but perhaps more. TRVs are not really for longer visits especially when both the visitor and the Canadian are not in a position financially to support longterm travel. I am just saying that a TRV extension is not guaranteed and will be denied at a certain point. You need to be using the time that you have waiting for the extension to prepare for the day where she will eventually be denied. Whether that is finding permanent housing, finding other support groups, exploring daycare options and job opportunities, etc. You got pretty lucky and your mother got approved for a TRV with not a very strong application but sooner or later it will be denied.

Reactions: Layla Fahad

Layla Fahad

Dec 29, 2017
Ok I read your background. Not sure how much your mother has in savings but sudden influx of cash is often discounted if it is clear that the person or their spouse didn’t earn the money. 2k is pretty minimal as well. Your mother is on a TRV and it doesn‘t sound like she is in a position where she has 15k+ of her own savings. It also sounds like you may not be working and are perhaps receiving welfare. You have mentioned that you want your mother to stay for another year but perhaps more. TRVs are not really for longer visits especially when both the visitor and the Canadian are not in a position financially to support longterm travel. I am just saying that a TRV extension is not guaranteed and will be denied at a certain point. You need to be using the time that you have waiting for the extension to prepare for the day where she will eventually be denied. Whether that is finding permanent housing, finding other support groups, exploring daycare options and job opportunities, etc. You got pretty lucky and your mother got approved for a TRV with not a very strong application but sooner or later it will be denied.
Thank you for your help. Yes you’re right. Ill still try for an extension and see what happens I’ll be prepared in case she gets rejected. Thank you for your guidance this forum has always been very helpful

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
What would be the most important point in favor of getting extensions especially for parents ? could it be your status (citizen/PR/ Student/work permit), or financials for yourself and for parents or it is the reason you mention while applying for extension?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What would be the most important point in favor of getting extensions especially for parents ? could it be your status (citizen/PR/ Student/work permit), or financials for yourself and for parents or it is the reason you mention while applying for extension?
They all count but financial status is very important.