+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending a closed work permit - BC PNP

Discussion in 'Provincial Nomination Program Immigration' started by tamiidj94, Jul 15, 2019.

  1. Hi Guys,

    My current closed work permit (I got it through BC PNP last year) is due for renewal on August 26. I have already applied for PR Paper Based, received AOR and passed the medical.
    Last year, I just went to the border with my employer compliance fee receipt, job offer number and all the documents for my PNP application.
    I am assuming I have to ask my employer to pay the compliance fee again and to give me a new job offer number and then head to the border again?
    Could someone who has done it recently please comment.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. After you applied for PR under PNP stream and received the AOR email, you are eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP), as long as there is no Employment Restriction on your nomination certificate (I'm sure there isn't). It's regardless what type of work permit you are currently holding. Your employer no longer needs to pay the employer compliance fee. This BOWP application is completely on you and it's not based on your employment offer anymore. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
  3. Hi, I do have restrictions on my employment. I can only work for the company and position that I am in currently
  4. Very interesting...May I know through which BCPNP stream you were nominated? and I do suggest you to double check your nomination certificate. Having employer's name and NOC code on your nomination certificate does not mean you have employment restriction. There is a specific block on the nomination certificate says " Employment Restriction". I've never personally seen a BCPNP nomination certificate with employment restriction myself... But if you really do have employment restriction, you and your employer will need to go through the exact same process again.
  5. Hmm.. okay. I just checked on my certificate and it states no restrictions on employment but last year when I applied I had to get a closed work permit because the support letter mentioned my employer and position. So this year I can apply for a bridging open work permit?

Share This Page