+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended family

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
By not mentioning we only lived for a month together as a couple in the statutory declaration can this be an issue for my citizenship application? we shared-nothing, neither address nor joint account. Additionally under extended family - definition as per immigration website, it says exclusive dating relationship, where you have lived together but isnt common law. However, i am worried, what if they misread my statement. Can you please share on your thoughts on the above. Thank you so much @canuck78
No need to mention living together for a month

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi, i applied for my partner (extended family). I got the phac letter. However the next day, Trv was rejected on purpose of visit, travel history and personal assets and finance. I applied through an agency and no response about written authorization. Is it because trv was rejected, they wont respond regarding written authorization? Or is phac the authorization? Thank you. Grateful if @scylla @legalfalcon can advise. Thanks
A letter from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has nothing to do with the approval of the visa application. Written authorization is only granted if the visa application would have been approved. PHAC and IRCC are separate agencies and a letter of exemption from PHAC would not necessarily lead to approval of a visa application. To get approval, you have to meet the criteria for the visa you applied for.

However, the WA is no longer required. See the reasons why your application was rejected by requesting the GCMS notes and you can apply again.

Shal666

May 26, 2021
A letter from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has nothing to do with the approval of the visa application. Written authorization is only granted if the visa application would have been approved. PHAC and IRCC are separate agencies and a letter of exemption from PHAC would not necessarily lead to approval of a visa application. To get approval, you have to meet the criteria for the visa you applied for.

However, the WA is no longer required. See the reasons why your application was rejected by requesting the GCMS notes and you can apply again.
Thank you. By not mentioning we only lived for a month together as a couple in the statutory declaration can this be an issue for my citizenship application? we shared-nothing, neither address nor joint account? I only stated we lived together as a couple in authorization form for extended family.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you. By not mentioning we only lived for a month together as a couple in the statutory declaration can this be an issue for my citizenship application? we shared-nothing, neither address nor joint account? I only stated we lived together as a couple in authorization form for extended family.
I am not privy to your documents, so I cannot comment more.

Under the law you have an obligation to be truthful:

16(1) of IRPA: A person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.

If you file any application with IRCC, TRV, WP, PR etc, any of them can be looked into to review your current application or future applications, and any inconsistency can be a cause of misrepresentation. All applications have to be consistent, and if they are not, a reason why you omitted the information or the reason for the inconsistency has to be provided.

The law is clear, while applications for different types of status engage different considerations, it does not necessarily flow that statements made in temporary residence applications cannot affect subsequent permanent residence applications (or vice versa). In Suri v. Canada, the court found that the Officer’s concerns vis-à-vis the contradictions between the Applicants’ temporary and permanent applications were reasonable and based on that the applicant's misrepresentation ban was upheld.

Federal courts have ruled on this numerous times.

See Tuiran v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2018 FC 324 (CanLII), <http://canlii.ca/t/hr59k
Alalami v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2018 FC 328 (CanLII), <http://canlii.ca/t/hr6r1>
Suri v. Canada available at http://canlii.ca/t/grvwt