+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended family authorization application

K7moda

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
I can now confirm that email is fine. But yes, "send" is a very subjective word; my (older) lawyer automatically assumed that meant postal but then we reviewed it again and I talked to others in the same boat, and they were successful with all-digital, so that's what I'll be doing.

so the answer is no. that's good news!
Do you mean people got answers already from IRCC? Asking because I applied on the 8th and the website said 14 work days, which hasn't passed already.

Haseeb Hassan

Oct 8, 2020
In the point for detailed reason for travel...how long should it be? In my case I can only think of uniting with family as grandparents are old and live alone.
Secondly, they have a PR application in progress, do I need to mention that too.
My sister added the details in the email too. They do ask for a list of things that need to be in the email. Good luck!

Reactions: Feb2004

K7moda

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
I applied on 8.oct day 1, still nothing. But it says 14 business days which means they should answer on or before 28. October

Darbi12

Jul 22, 2020
Hello first time posting on here. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We have been together since Nov. 2018 and I have visited him twice in Canada land cross. I live in the US. I would like to drive up we are filling this paperwork out right now. Do you know if I have to do a eTA? Do I just bring this paperwork when I drive up? I also have a isolate plan as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Haseeb Hassan

Oct 8, 2020
I applied on 8.oct day 1, still nothing. But it says 14 business days which means they should answer on or before 28. October
Well they said people will be traveling starting Oct 20th so I assumed people that applied on the 8th would be traveling by now. I guess I was wrong

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
just wanted to add this important info: how you request authorization from IRCC is not the same for everyone; according to the IRCC website:

Step 5: Request written authorization to travel
Once you have a copy of the completed and signed IMM 0006... use it as evidence of your relationship with your family member and request a written authorization from us. You need written authorization whether you’re travelling from the US or any other country.​
How you request a written authorization depends on whether or not you already have a valid travel document (visitor visa or eTA).
When you click the link "find out how to request authorization," it takes you to another heading (on the same page you were already on)

the subheadings here are:
  1. If you have a valid visitor visa or an application in progress
  2. If you need a visitor visa but haven’t applied for one yet
  3. If you have an eTA or need one to travel
  4. If you don’t need a visitor visa or eTA (for example, US citizen)
for people in cases 1. or 2. it takes you to the page "Coronavirus disease... : Visitor visa applications" and in one of those cases it tells you to email IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions... [at] cic.gc.ca

for people in case 3. it tells you to visit this webpage: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/eta.html

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am an American citizen, my boyfriend is a Canadian Permanent Resident. We have been dating for two years and have traveled to see each other many times. When he came to Canada he was in a common law marriage but is not anymore. Does anyone know if that will affect me going over there or his stuff when he applies for citizenship for Canada? How thorough is their research when approving or denying people.
If his common law sponored him, he can't sponsor you for 5 years from when he received PR. If he was in a genuine relationship he shouls have no problem applying for citizenship as long as he meets the other critetia.

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
I applied on 13th. Received approval today.
That's great. Did you mention a detailed reason for visit in the email? I'm a bit nervous, just mentioned it in a sentence.

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
I applied on 13th. Received approval today.
my partner wants to travel in either Dec or Jan but I just got the lawyer's seal / signature on my form. Should I wait, or apply right now for travel authorization?

I know I read that you have 6 months to use a sealed (solemn declaration) IMM 0006 document before it expires, but I don't see if there's any expiry on the written authorization. Hoping someone can help answer this question?

paul22381

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
my partner wants to travel in either Dec or Jan but I just got the lawyer's seal / signature on my form. Should I wait, or apply right now for travel authorization?

I know I read that you have 6 months to use a sealed (solemn declaration) IMM 0006 document before it expires, but I don't see if there's any expiry on the written authorization. Hoping someone can help answer this question?
Its in the canada website valid for 6 months

AndreaCB

Oct 20, 2020

From what I understood, the IMM006 will expire 6 months from the day it was signed by solemn declaration. Within those 6 months, you have to travel to Canada because you also have to present the IMM006 and the authorization letter from IRCC when you board your flight. So all documents must be valid and not expired when you travel. That's how I understood the instructions from the website.

Reactions: neuroCanadian