Extend the visitor visa of my parents in Canada

saam83

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
Reactions: macwhitby

saam83

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
My mom has multiple entry visitor visa to Canada till 2023, last time she entered Canada was end of August, so she is suppose to leave Canada by end of February (within 6 months), now if i want to extend her stay here for another 6 months, I can do that online right ? And as long as i get a result from CIC, she can stay with us as implied status ??
Implied status
If you apply to extend your permit, and your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status. This is known as implied status.

Reactions: macwhitby

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Implied status
If you apply to extend your permit, and your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status. This is known as implied status.
Did you apply via online ? How much time it took for them to give you a reply ?

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi

I applied for extension of my mom's visit Visa while she's in Canada..applied one month prior to the visa expiry..applied on paper & it was delivered on Sept 14th. So far no reply from them on the extension..she will leave in jan or feb..what should I do if I don't get any response from the extension in the mean time? Please advise.
Hi there,
I'm in the process of applying extension to stay in Canada online for my mother who is staying with me now. In the application they are asking for documents to support the finances, can i provide my documents or it has to be applicants (mom) itself ? If i can show my documents, what all should i include ? TIA.

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi

I applied for extension of my mom's visit Visa while she's in Canada..applied one month prior to the visa expiry..applied on paper & it was delivered on Sept 14th. So far no reply from them on the extension..she will leave in jan or feb..what should I do if I don't get any response from the extension in the mean time? Please advise.
Hi There, I have some doubts while filing the application from for extending the stray as a visitor, how can i contact you to clarify few doubts ?

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
Hi there,
I'm in the process of applying extension to stay in Canada online for my mother who is staying with me now. In the application they are asking for documents to support the finances, can i provide my documents or it has to be applicants (mom) itself ? If i can show my documents, what all should i include ? TIA.
Hi,

I am also about to apply for an extension for my parents. What documents did you submit?

jjedm

Oct 7, 2016
If someone can help with the following questions regarding the extension of the visit more than 6 months for my month, she is on a multiply entry visa, entered last time in December, no stamp so she can stay until May. I would like to extend her stay for 6 more months:

1. Is 3 month prior to meet the maxium of 6 months for a single stay too early to apply and be a cause for a refusal?
2. What reasons should we use for extending her stay? We want to stay together longer and travel together during my vacation period
3. Can she stay here, and will "implied" status be applicable for her if we apply to extend her stay but hear no response before the 6 months mark?
4. Once extended, if approved, can she travel outside Canada and come back, will that change or affect the period of her stay?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If someone can help with the following questions regarding the extension of the visit more than 6 months for my month, she is on a multiply entry visa, entered last time in December, no stamp so she can stay until May. I would like to extend her stay for 6 more months:

1. Is 3 month prior to meet the maxium of 6 months for a single stay too early to apply and be a cause for a refusal?
2. What reasons should we use for extending her stay? We want to stay together longer and travel together during my vacation period
3. Can she stay here, and will "implied" status be applicable for her if we apply to extend her stay but hear no response before the 6 months mark?
4. Once extended, if approved, can she travel outside Canada and come back, will that change or affect the period of her stay?
1. Way too early.

2. Use the truth.

3. Yes.

4. Visitor status ends when a person leaves Canada. She would be assessed as a new visitor upon entry.

Reactions: soroush

soroush

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
hi guys, i am applying for visa extension for my mom. she has multiple entry visa, first time extending, her 6 M from entry expires in April, wants to stay until Nov 2019. when should i apply for the extension? on CIC website, it says processing time is 86 weeks (a bit shy of 3 months). should i apply 3 month before expiry of status?
also, in form IM5708:
  • question 7 under personal details where it asks: "current country or territory of residence" under From/To I put the date entered in Canada under "from" but should I put 6 month from entry under to or I should put today's date?
  • under "Coming into Canada" section for Q2: do I put "from" the date end of 6M from entry or from today?
Thanks

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
hi guys, i am applying for visa extension for my mom. she has multiple entry visa, first time extending, her 6 M from entry expires in April, wants to stay until Nov 2019. when should i apply for the extension? on CIC website, it says processing time is 86 weeks (a bit shy of 3 months). should i apply 3 month before expiry of status?
also, in form IM5708:
  • question 7 under personal details where it asks: "current country or territory of residence" under From/To I put the date entered in Canada under "from" but should I put 6 month from entry under to or I should put today's date?
  • under "Coming into Canada" section for Q2: do I put "from" the date end of 6M from entry or from today?
Thanks
it is not recommended to apply too early. You can apply between 30-45 days before. You get implied status once you apply, so do not worry about the processing time.

Personal details - Put 6 months from entry under ‘to’ date.

Coming into Canada - provide actual entry dates, not current date.

Reactions: soroush

jjedm

Oct 7, 2016
Can someone please help or guide with the following questions:

Mom from Colombia is on multiple entry visitor visa expiring May 2019. We want to go to Mexico end of March and come back. We want to extend her visa until November 2019. Not sure how to poceed here.

1. Go to Mexico and apply for extension after come back? Can they request a return ticket during re-entry? Afraid that if I change the return ticket for November that might be a reason for entry refusal?
2. Should we request the extension before going to Mexico? If we request the extension, then visit Mexico and come back, will the extension request invalidated?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can someone please help or guide with the following questions:

Mom from Colombia is on multiple entry visitor visa expiring May 2019. We want to go to Mexico end of March and come back. We want to extend her visa until November 2019. Not sure how to poceed here.

1. Go to Mexico and apply for extension after come back? Can they request a return ticket during re-entry? Afraid that if I change the return ticket for November that might be a reason for entry refusal?
2. Should we request the extension before going to Mexico? If we request the extension, then visit Mexico and come back, will the extension request invalidated?
1. Yes - this is what you should do. She will need to have a return ticket when she flies back to Canada.
2. No point doing this. The extension will be invalid as soon as she leaves Canada.