+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend Stay as a Visitor

LumieRumi

Oct 10, 2019
Hello Experts!

I want to submit an application to extend my stay in Canada, my current status expires on December 23, 2019
The reason i want to extend my stay is because i want to study and from what i know a study permit takes longer than the time i have before my status expires.

My long-term goal is getting my Permanent Residence, im currently living with my boyfriend, i've been in Canada for 4 months now. My Visitor's Visa application was done by lawyers so im kind of lost on how to fill my form in a way that will give me more chances of acceptance.

Im currently in the process of filling my extension form (IM5708) and in order to raise my chances of my application being accepted i have some questions:

n1: On the "Indicate how long you plan to stay" field, should i put exactly 6 months?
n2: My original purpose of visit was Tourism, should i also write Tourism as my current Purpose of Visit? or should i clarify i want more time in order to work towards a study permit?
n3: If i want to stay for another 6 months, how much fund would i need for that in order to raise my chances of acceptance?

As of right now, those are the doubts i currently have regarding my form, any help will be highly appreciated.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello Experts!

I want to submit an application to extend my stay in Canada, my current status expires on December 23, 2019
The reason i want to extend my stay is because i want to study and from what i know a study permit takes longer than the time i have before my status expires.

My long-term goal is getting my Permanent Residence, im currently living with my boyfriend, i've been in Canada for 4 months now. My Visitor's Visa application was done by lawyers so im kind of lost on how to fill my form in a way that will give me more chances of acceptance.

Im currently in the process of filling my extension form (IM5708) and in order to raise my chances of my application being accepted i have some questions:

n1: On the "Indicate how long you plan to stay" field, should i put exactly 6 months?
n2: My original purpose of visit was Tourism, should i also write Tourism as my current Purpose of Visit? or should i clarify i want more time in order to work towards a study permit?
n3: If i want to stay for another 6 months, how much fund would i need for that in order to raise my chances of acceptance?

As of right now, those are the doubts i currently have regarding my form, any help will be highly appreciated.
Reasonably sure that you cannot extend your visitor Visa for study. It has to be for tourism purpose. Your request will likely be denied.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Experts!

You should say that you are requesting an extension so that you can complete a year of living with your partner to become common law so that your partner can then sponsor you for PR. Your partner should include a bank statement (in addition to any proof of funds you show) or payslips to show he can support you without you working. When people request extensions to become common law, refusal is extremely rare.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Experts!

It's too early to apply for an extension. Wait until the end of November or into December.

LumieRumi

Oct 10, 2019
You should say that you are requesting an extension so that you can complete a year of living with your partner to become common law so that your partner can then sponsor you for PR. Your partner should include a bank statement (in addition to any proof of funds you show) or payslips to show he can support you without you working. When people request extensions to become common law, refusal is extremely rare.
This is great, didn't knew i could do that.

in that case that changes some things on my form. On the "Original purpose of visit" line should write "Visiting my partner/boyfriend"? because i believe my lawyer originally put tourism so im not entirely sure what should i put now

Last edited: