+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry with expired PR?

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Express Entry with expired PR? Update:ITA!!

bmanialawi said:
I got an ITA last night! This is getting more and more complicated!

Do I renounce then apply? Or was I not allowed to apply in the first place since I wasn't a FN at the time?

Help!
I don't see what is getting complicated. You never applied in the first place. Now you can because you have ITA, but it will be rejected because you are already a PR!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: Express Entry with expired PR? Update:ITA!!

bmanialawi said:
I got an ITA last night! This is getting more and more complicated!

Do I renounce then apply? Or was I not allowed to apply in the first place since I wasn't a FN at the time?
Renounce and then apply for PR.

Creating an EE profile is not applying for PR. Your profile will remain the same even after you renounce, so it should be fine.

agentsophy

Apr 26, 2017
Hi All,

I seem to have put myself in a weird situation. I had landed in Toronto over 20 years ago with my father, and received my PR document, but I was only 16 at the time, and my dad took us back home and we never fulfilled our residency obligations.

My husband and I went to Canada this last month on a regular visitor visa to explore the option of moving there. Shortly after I returned I got an email from Immigration saying that I seem to be a PR on their records and that I should renew or revoke my status. They said I should do that before visiting Canada again.

Last week, we submitted our Express Entry application since our scores are very close to the ones currently being selected.

My questions are:
- Do I have to revoke my old PR status?
- If I get selected in Express Entry, will the fact that I didn't revoke my status be any problem?
- If yes, should I withdraw my express entry application until I tidy up my PR issue?

Thanks so much!
Basma
OMG I have the same issue! My husband has applied for EE and have mentioned now that I have PR status but my card expired two years ago, same story was a minor when dad sponsored family and never stayed in canada... what should I do? Declare that wife has PR on the application or say no in that section? It's so confusing....when I say yes I have PR the application is being treated as my husband is going without a spouse and all his points are going up while my IELTS and Masters points dont count anymore...this is so confusing! I'm so glad I found someone with the same issue...pls let me know what u did finally..

agentsophy

Apr 26, 2017
Hi All,

I seem to have put myself in a weird situation. I had landed in Toronto over 20 years ago with my father, and received my PR document, but I was only 16 at the time, and my dad took us back home and we never fulfilled our residency obligations.

My husband and I went to Canada this last month on a regular visitor visa to explore the option of moving there. Shortly after I returned I got an email from Immigration saying that I seem to be a PR on their records and that I should renew or revoke my status. They said I should do that before visiting Canada again.

Last week, we submitted our Express Entry application since our scores are very close to the ones currently being selected.

My questions are:
- Do I have to revoke my old PR status?
- If I get selected in Express Entry, will the fact that I didn't revoke my status be any problem?
- If yes, should I withdraw my express entry application until I tidy up my PR issue?

Thanks so much!
Basma
Hi Basma

I have the same issue, pls let me know what did you end up doing? My husband might get the ITA soon....really confused :((

Best,
Safiya

bmanialawi

Feb 20, 2017
Hi Basma

I have the same issue, pls let me know what did you end up doing? My husband might get the ITA soon....really confused :((

Best,
Safiya
Hey,
Sorry, just saw this. I renounced the old PR and then sent in my application including the official renunciation letter.

Basma

apply2can

Nov 16, 2008
Hi Basma,
I am in a similar situation. Can you please share how long did it take for the renunciation to go through. Did they provide an official letter confirming the renunciation. I have created my express entry profile but haven't submitted it because I was not sure if renunciation is required. Could you please elaborate on the process. Were you able to get PR the second time? Or do you happen to remember the form/link that you applied for renunciation? Thanks!!! for your help in advance.

-GS

Azeus

Oct 14, 2019
Hey,
Sorry, just saw this. I renounced the old PR and then sent in my application including the official renunciation letter.

Basma
Hi Mrs Basma

Good day,

I'm in similar situation. My wife is a PR holder as a minor, RO is not met, hence she cannot renew her PR.
Could you kindly let me know what had happened to your application?
Didn't your points drop down when you renounced your PR? Because, I believe, originally in Express Entry profile, you had answered that you were PR holder, based on which you had received the ITA.

Could you please help me, I would be really grateful.

Thank you

Azeus

Oct 14, 2019
Hi Basma

Best,
Safiya
Hi Mrs Safiya

Good day,

I'm in similar situation. My wife is a PR holder as a minor, RO is not met, hence she cannot renew her PR.
Did you or did you not renounce your PR prior to your application? Because, My points will drop if I declare her as a non PR.

Thank you

Azeus

Oct 14, 2019
Hi Basma,
I am in a similar situation. Can you please share how long did it take for the renunciation to go through. Did they provide an official letter confirming the renunciation. I have created my express entry profile but haven't submitted it because I was not sure if renunciation is required. Could you please elaborate on the process. Were you able to get PR the second time? Or do you happen to remember the form/link that you applied for renunciation? Thanks!!! for your help in advance.

-GS
Hi

Didn't your points drop down when you renounced your PR?

Thank you

Azeus

Oct 14, 2019
Hi

Can anyone help me, please?

My wife is a PR holder, but her card has expired and her residency obligations not met. I'm applying through Express entry now. In the section where it asks, if the spouse is a permanent resident. What should I answer? That she is a PR holder or I should just mention "No"

Is it compulsory that I should revoke her PR first? or I could go through Express entry with her being a PR (card expired)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

My wife is a PR holder, but her card has expired and her residency obligations not met. I'm applying through Express entry now. In the section where it asks, if the spouse is a permanent resident. What should I answer? That she is a PR holder or I should just mention "No"

Is it compulsory that I should revoke her PR first? or I could go through Express entry with her being a PR (card expired)?
You must answer yes.

You can go through the process without her.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

You have to decide if she wants to attempt to enter Canada and see if she gets reported and then remain for 2 years or renounce her PR status and apply with you. Does she have a SIN#? If not she couldn’t work. She may not be able to get a health card. If you qualify for PR it would likely be much easier to renounce and apply again.

LebK

Dec 14, 2019
Guys, for anybody that filed for renunciation recently - How long did it take to get a response back?