+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry with expired PR?

bmanialawi

Feb 20, 2017
Hi All,

I seem to have put myself in a weird situation. I had landed in Toronto over 20 years ago with my father, and received my PR document, but I was only 16 at the time, and my dad took us back home and we never fulfilled our residency obligations.

My husband and I went to Canada this last month on a regular visitor visa to explore the option of moving there. Shortly after I returned I got an email from Immigration saying that I seem to be a PR on their records and that I should renew or revoke my status. They said I should do that before visiting Canada again.

Last week, we submitted our Express Entry application since our scores are very close to the ones currently being selected.

My questions are:
- Do I have to revoke my old PR status?
- If I get selected in Express Entry, will the fact that I didn't revoke my status be any problem?
- If yes, should I withdraw my express entry application until I tidy up my PR issue?

Thanks so much!
Basma

jwahba

Star Member
Sep 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Basma,

Of course don't revoke it. Having an expired PR card doesn't mean that your not PR anymore. You can apply for PR card renewal and provide explanations of your case and see what happens.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jwahba said:
Hi Basma,

Of course don't revoke it. Having an expired PR card doesn't mean that your not PR anymore. You can apply for PR card renewal and provide explanations of your case and see what happens.
OP, revoke your PR before applying through Express Entry.

bmanialawi

Feb 20, 2017
Guys, thanks for your replies, but I'm even more confused now!

Do I withdraw my Express Entry application, revoke my PR and then reapply? Or do I revoke it if I get picked, or do I completely ignore the fact that I had a PR 20 years ago and just hope for the best?

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bmanialawi said:
Guys, thanks for your replies, but I'm even more confused now!

Do I withdraw my Express Entry application, revoke my PR and then reapply? Or do I revoke it if I get picked, or do I completely ignore the fact that I had a PR 20 years ago and just hope for the best?
I think no need to withdraw EE profile (that's not called 'application' - you can't submit application before getting invitation). Revoke PR, then wait for ITA.

Itsmee

Sep 28, 2015
YOU ARE A PERMANENT RESIDENT. Congratulations !!

Renew your PR card here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

And sponsor your spouse from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

.....stop worrying about express entry profile.....

Your spouse is not a PR therefore other people could tell u if only he should apply for PR through express entry or should you sponsor him and which is faster......??

bmanialawi said:
Hi All,

I seem to have put myself in a weird situation. I had landed in Toronto over 20 years ago with my father, and received my PR document, but I was only 16 at the time, and my dad took us back home and we never fulfilled our residency obligations.

My husband and I went to Canada this last month on a regular visitor visa to explore the option of moving there. Shortly after I returned I got an email from Immigration saying that I seem to be a PR on their records and that I should renew or revoke my status. They said I should do that before visiting Canada again.

Last week, we submitted our Express Entry application since our scores are very close to the ones currently being selected.

My questions are:
- If I get selected in Express Entry, will the fact that I didn't revoke my status be any problem?
- If yes, should I withdraw my express entry application until I tidy up my PR issue?

Thanks so much!
Basma

DRWOU

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
@bmanialawi, don't revoke your PR. You should renew your PR. You don't need express entry. Your husband however has two options:- 1) go through the express entry route which takes 6 months or less; 2) family sponsorship (the new process takes 12 months), this of course depends on you renewing your PR status and you sponsoring him.

I personally prefer the former since it is less hassle, but its ultimately up to you

tfeddy2012

Star Member
May 11, 2015
bmanialawi said:
Hi All,

My questions are:

Thanks so much!
Basma
You said it yourself "that you got an email that you should renew or revoke.
They wouldn't have mentioned anything about renew if you were not eligible at that point in time. Yes, you might not have fulfilled PR obligations but we here are not CIC, everyone is just responding according to the available information in their disposal. I,ll say you should give your renew a try and if it doesn't work which i hope it does,then you'll know you're tried.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tfeddy2012 said:
You said it yourself "that you got an email that you should renew or revoke.
That looks like standard response.

OP does not meet residency obligation. IRCC determines that when you (1) enter at a port of entry, or (2) apply to renew PR. Then they start the process of revoking your PR.

I don't see any humanitarian or compassionate grounds to exempt OP from RO.

OP don't waste time, no need for the hassle.

tfeddy2012 said:
They wouldn't have mentioned anything about renew if you were not eligible at that point in time.
Don't make stupid assumptions. I don't think they assess eligibility based on someone's email enquiry.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
I'd get the information on the correct course of action directly from CIC, before relying on 3rd party information from this thread. Contact them directly and find out what your options are, and then decide how you should handle it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bmanialawi said:
My questions are:
- Do I have to revoke my old PR status? Yes
- If I get selected in Express Entry, will the fact that I didn't revoke my status be any problem? Yes
- If yes, should I withdraw my express entry application until I tidy up my PR issue? Yes
It's a good suggestion to speak with someone before doing anything, tho, like an immigration lawyer, or you can try CIC (but you may not get useful info out of the call centre staff).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The issue with everyone's suggestion to renew is that OP does NOT meet the Residency Obligation and therefore doesn't qualify for renewal.

If OP can manage to get back into Canada without being reported, which is highly unlikely given that she has already come to their attention, she would need to remain in Canada for two straight years before being able to apply for a PR card. If she were to leave on holiday or for any other reason, she would risk being reported upon re-entry. If she doesn't have a SIN already, she may not be able to obtain one until she once again has a valid PR card. She may also not be able to get a driver's license or health coverage without a valid PR card. As she doesn't meet the RO, she will NOT be able to sponsor her spouse, so whoever suggested that just has no clue.

OP, it will most likely be far easier to renounce your PR status and apply again through EE with your spouse.

bmanialawi

Feb 20, 2017
I appreciate all your replies, thank you.

I think it's practically impossible to renew the PR since I haven't met the RO, and I am not willing to stay in canada for two full years (I have two kids). The only grounds I could use is that I was a minor at the time and it wasn't my decision. We had consulted a lawyer who said it would be a long, costly process with very little chance of success.

I guess with the situation on hand, the key question is: If the score for the next draw runs lower than mine (444), and I get an ITA, would the fact that I still hold a PR create a problem? I believe PR holders aren't allowed to apply for EE.

@thekhan mentioned a good point "I think no need to withdraw EE profile (that's not called 'application' - you can't submit application before getting invitation)." - So I guess I would revoke it now and hope for the best.

Any suggestions on course of action?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bmanialawi said:
The only grounds I could use is that I was a minor at the time and it wasn't my decision. We had consulted a lawyer who said it would be a long, costly process with very little chance of success.

I guess with the situation on hand, the key question is: If the score for the next draw runs lower than mine (444), and I get an ITA, would the fact that I still hold a PR create a problem? I believe PR holders aren't allowed to apply for EE.
You would have zero chance of retaining your PR status based on the fact that you were removed as a minor. That only works when the person returns to Canada as soon as possible after becoming an adult. At your age, zero chance.

Yes, it will be a problem. If you apply for PR without renouncing, your app will just be returned.

bmanialawi

Feb 20, 2017
Re: Express Entry with expired PR? Update:ITA!!

I got an ITA last night! This is getting more and more complicated!

Do I renounce then apply? Or was I not allowed to apply in the first place since I wasn't a FN at the time?

Help!