+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Step by step instructions.

gio1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Hello guys ... need some help again.. @hope2018 , @gio1 and other friends..
In my passport, my whole name i.e. " Shubhdeep Singh" is in Given Name(s) column and Surname column is blank as I don't have any. While making EE account last name is marked as "required". CIC instructs as follows :-
Your surname is your family name. It is also called your “last name.” When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document.

Do not use initials.

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”

Now while taking IELTS I entered my whole name in first name and entered "-" in family name, and hence, in my TRF my name is in first name column and in family name column it shows "-".
Now, what should I do? Will it be ok if give my whole name in last name column while making EE account as per CIC instructions even though my TRF shows my name in first name column and "-" in family name column.
Please advise. I'm in great dilemma.
Thanks.
How is your name written on your credentials and associating documents? Are they the same as what's on your TRF? If yes, please repeat the same for your EE application and if not, of course the last name field will not be left blank so I'd suggest that you use the same name in the last name field. Then write a letter of explanation as a back up.

gio1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Good day! I have a question regarding proof of funds. I got a sizable portion of my funds from the sale of our old house, which was deposited into my account around Sept 2017. That money has remained untouched for over 7 months and counting, do I need to provide LoE for the source of said money even if that amount has sat in my bank account for over 6months?
No, you don't have to. Just get a bank reference letter in the CIC format as a proof of fund, but ensure that you continue to maintain the required minimum balance in your account until your application is approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: karenrph

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
How is your name written on your credentials and associating documents? Are they the same as what's on your TRF? If yes, please repeat the same for your EE application and if not, of course the last name field will not be left blank so I'd suggest that you use the same name in the last name field. Then write a letter of explanation as a back up.
Thanks for your reply. As you asked, on all my other ID documents and credentials my name is "Shubhdeep Singh" i.e. no separate columns for First name and Last name. It is only in passport that there are separate columns for First/last name and my full name is in given name column with Surname column blank. Now, in TRF my name is "Shubhdeep Singh -" with a - added at the end as I filled - in my last name column and whole name in first name column while applying for IELTS as both first name and last name fields were mandatory to fill. Will it be a problem ?
Pls advise. Thanks.

Last edited:

gio1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Thanks for your reply. As you asked, on all my other ID documents and credentials my name is "Shubhdeep Singh" i.e. no separate columns for First name and Last name. It is only in passport that there are separate columns for First/last name and my full name is in given name column with Surname column blank. Now, in TRF my name is "Shubhdeep Singh -" with a - added at the end as I filled - in my last name column and whole name in first name column while applying for IELTS as both first name and last name fields were mandatory to fill. Will it be a problem ?
Pls advise. Thanks.
I didn't get the last part of your post as it seems a little bit confusing. Kindly come again with your question.

sammi0921

Apr 13, 2018
Hi everyone, a new comer here.

I am currently applying Express Entry, and grateful if I can ascertain the followings:-
1. I should only apply PNP for ONE province only but not more than one? (so as to declare my loyalty to that province)
2. If my qualified experience are coming from different NOC (say 3 years 1114 and 2 years 0013, they belong to different catergory of skill level) in the past 5 years, will they all be counted? or only the one NOC with longer tenure to be considered?)
3. I should submit my EE EOI BEFORE applying PNP from any province?
4. Holding a master degree warrants additional points in my scoring, will my two master degrees be considered as an advantage? (although it would not be reflected in the scoring)
5. I should apply ECA for my academic achievements right? How long usually it takes?

Thanks in advance

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
I didn't get the last part of your post as it seems a little bit confusing. Kindly come again with your question.
When I applied for IELTS I filled my name "Shubhdeep Singh" in first name column and as I don't have any surname I entered hyphen i.e "-" in last name field as both first name and last name fields were mandatory. Now my name on TRF is like "Shubhdeep Singh -" with "-" added at last of name. Will it be a problem as my name on all other docs is "Shubhdeep Singh". I hope it's clear now.
Thanks.

gio1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
When I applied for IELTS I filled my name "Shubhdeep Singh" in first name column and as I don't have any surname I entered hyphen i.e "-" in last name field as both first name and last name fields were mandatory. Now my name on TRF is like "Shubhdeep Singh -" with "-" added at last of name. Will it be a problem as my name on all other docs is "Shubhdeep Singh". I hope it's clear now.
Thanks.
Yea I think I've understood what you're saying. Your TRF has Shubhdeep Singh with a hyphen as your last name unlike your other documents that have only Shubhdeep Singh. Now this is what you will do, repeat Shubhdeep Singh as your first name and " hyphen" as your last name for the purpose of creating an express entry application. But you must do an LOE to this effect. You will write in a way that the VO handling your file will understand why you used hyphen as your last name. This is simple, just say it is because the "last name field is mandatory". You can also do an affidavit of one and the same person.

Shubhdeep1994

Aug 23, 2017
Yea I think I've understood what you're saying. Your TRF has Shubhdeep Singh with a hyphen as your last name unlike your other documents that have only Shubhdeep Singh. Now this is what you will do, repeat Shubhdeep Singh as your first name and " hyphen" as your last name for the purpose of creating an express entry application. But you must do an LOE to this effect. You will write in a way that the VO handling your file will understand why you used hyphen as your last name. This is simple, just say it is because the "last name field is mandatory". You can also do an affidavit of one and the same person.
Thanks a lot for replying @gio1 . Now as CIC instructions say as follows:-
"If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank."
If I create EE account with my given name(as per passport) as last name and leave first name blank (as it is not mandatory in this case) and provide LOE and affidavit of one and same person as advised by you, I think this would be better than writng hyphen in last name while creating EE profile bcz then my EE A/c name would be different from all my credentials and ID docs. Pls reply. Thanks

gio1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Hi everyone, a new comer here.

I am currently applying Express Entry, and grateful if I can ascertain the followings:-
1. I should only apply PNP for ONE province only but not more than one? (so as to declare my loyalty to that province)is not about showing loyalty! You apply to available PNPs until you land the required nomination that would increase your CRS score if it is low so that you would be given invitation to apply for express entry.
2. If my qualified experience are coming from different NOC (say 3 years 1114 and 2 years 0013, they belong to different catergory of skill level) in the past 5 years, will they all be counted? or only the one NOC with longer tenure to be considered?) You can combine work experience so far they fall under either of these NOCs: 0, A or B.
3. I should submit my EE EOI BEFORE applying PNP from any province? Yes you can do this. Did you pass the express entry eligibility test? Is your score above 400 and high enough to fetch you ITA? If yes, you don't need PNP.
4. Holding a master degree warrants additional points in my scoring, will my two master degrees be considered as an advantage? (although it would not be reflected in the scoring) Evaluating two masters degree for the purpose of increasing CRS is not possible. If evaluated, you'll get full point for Masters degree. So why waste time evaluating two Masters degree? Except for the sake of pursuing your career in Canada, I'd say you should evaluated one.
5. I should apply ECA for my academic achievements right? How long usually it takes? The earlier you start, the better .It takes time but I would advise that you use Wes. Please you need to do your own research before any thing because you sounded somewhat confused.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

gio1

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Thanks a lot for replying @gio1 . Now as CIC instructions say as follows:-
"If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank." I like your determination brother. You persist to acquire the right information. The answer you seek is already here. Yes do as they said. Leave the first name column blank and enter "Shubhdeep Singh" as your last name/surname.
If I create EE account with my given name(as per passport) as last name and leave first name blank (as it is not mandatory in this case) and provide LOE and affidavit of one and same person as advised by you, I think this would be better than writng hyphen in last name while creating EE profile bcz then my EE A/c name would be different from all my credentials and ID docs. Pls reply. Thanks
Yeah sure, it is better.

Last edited:

harneetk

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Hi friends
I have one query.
Actually I have got nomination with NOC 2174 but in EE profile I filled 2175.
Will that make any difference?