+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Points Calculation - Help

confusedapplicant

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Help me understand the way points calculation work / how I am supposed to answer the calculator.

With / Without Spouse - my spouse (married) is a Canadian citizen, so the application is only for myself (no dependent), would I be considered "with" or "without" spouse?
  • If spouse is Canadian citizen - how am I supposed to answer the spouse language proficiency portion? Is the spouse required to take IELTS as well? (again, spouse is not applying)

How many years of full-time (30 hours per week or equivalent part-time) continous Skilled Work experience - What's considered "skilled work experience", does co-op / internship experience while doing degree in Canada count? Does it have to be paid employment?

Do you have a Qualifying Canadian Job Offer (supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment)? - What if I currently have a full-time position, I am currently under Post-Graduate Work Permit, am I considered to have a job?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
confusedapplicant said:
Help me understand the way points calculation work / how I am supposed to answer the calculator.

With / Without Spouse - my spouse (married) is a Canadian citizen, so the application is only for myself (no dependent), would I be considered "with" or "without" spouse?
  • If spouse is Canadian citizen - how am I supposed to answer the spouse language proficiency portion? Is the spouse required to take IELTS as well? (again, spouse is not applying)

You'll still have to declare your marital status in the EE profile but I'm not sure beyond that since I've never done this myself being a single applicant. Maybe others can weigh in on this front.

I do know that language proficiency is optional. If you want those additional 20 points, go for it else not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

How many years of full-time (30 hours per week or equivalent part-time) continous Skilled Work experience - What's considered "skilled work experience", does co-op / internship experience while doing degree in Canada count? Does it have to be paid employment?

Basically NOC 0/A/B and at least 1 year of continuous full-time paid work experience (at least 1560 hours) or equivalent part-time. Work experience gained while you were a student doesn't count.

Definition for FSWP ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Definition for CEC ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Do you have a Qualifying Canadian Job Offer (supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment)? - What if I currently have a full-time position, I am currently under Post-Graduate Work Permit, am I considered to have a job?

If you don't have an LMIA supported job, the answer is No.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scout85 said:
Hi Guys,

Sorry to post this here, however, I cant seem to start a new thread, or find one that is more relevant so here goes.

I am a Single 30 year old, I have a business diploma and a Bachelors degree

In IELTS I scored S9 L8.5 R8.5 W8.5

I have more than 3 years experience in my field and am a member of an Australian Accounting Body.

Based on the above I should have a score of 469 (could be more, but accounting professional qualifications don't entitle me to the 135 points). However, the Express Entry site believes I only have 411.

I believe this is for 2 reasons

1) The skills transferability for Education and Work Experience need a CLB of 9 across the board, I believe the site is unable to distinguish between a CLB of 9 and an IELTS score with an average of 8.5 (which should be more than sufficient as it should equal 10 across the board for CLB) and so I am being robbed of 50 points.

2) The website is also not picking up on the fact I have two post secondary degrees, so I am losing a further 8 points.

This is extremely frustrating for me as 469 would put me in the range for an invite to apply for the last 2-3 rounds.

So I'm pleading with anyone out there who knows how I can contact a human at the CIC or get the message to them that their system needs tweaking so I can get this issue resolved.

Many Thanks,

Scout
You have a CLB 10 score and the system is rewarding you for that.

Check if you score 50 points in the Education sub-section of Skills Transferability. You'll get that provided you've done ECA for both Bachelors degree and post Bachelors diploma.

Do you have 3+ years of work experience outside Canada? If yes, you'll get an additional 50 points under the other sub-section of Skills Transferability.

Hope this clarifies. If you're still not sure, paste your score details here and we'll figure this out together.

Scout85

Aug 21, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
You have a CLB 10 score and the system is rewarding you for that.

Check if you score 50 points in the Education sub-section of Skills Transferability. You'll get that provided you've done ECA for both Bachelors degree and post Bachelors diploma.

Do you have 3+ years of work experience outside Canada? If yes, you'll get an additional 50 points under the other sub-section of Skills Transferability.

Hope this clarifies. If you're still not sure, paste your score details here and we'll figure this out together.

Thank you for your swift reply!,

The express entry calculation (after submission) is only giving me 25/50 points for my Education Transferability and 25/50 for my work experience transferability.

And 120/128 points for my two post secondary degrees (both confirmed by WES).

I do have 3+ years of work experience as an accountant (consecutive) in Australia.

Thanks again

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scout85 said:

The express entry calculation (after submission) is only giving me 25/50 points for my Education Transferability and 25/50 for my work experience transferability.

I do have 3+ years of work experience as an accountant (consecutive) in Australia.

Thanks again
Weird!

If you did choose IELTS and input the scores as-is, they are clearly all CLB 9 and above. Your level of education is 'Two or more degrees...' so you should get 50 points there.

Same is the case with 3+ years of experience and CLB9 combo. You're clearly losing out on 50 points at least.

In your Education details, you've chosen Bachelors for your degree and 'Two or more degrees...' for the post Bachelors diploma. Right?

Scout85

Aug 21, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Weird!

If you did choose IELTS and input the scores as-is, they are clearly all CLB 9 and above. Your level of education is 'Two or more degrees...' so you should get 50 points there.

Same is the case with 3+ years of experience and CLB9 combo. You're clearly losing out on 50 points at least.

In your Education details, you've chosen Bachelors for your degree and 'Two or more degrees...' for the post Bachelors diploma. Right?
That's right,

The diploma was pre Bachelors, but its still post secondary.

On this one I think I am clearly losing at least 50 but most likely 58 points.

Any idea how I could grab a hold of someone at the CIC that could fix this?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scout85 said:
That's right,

The diploma was pre Bachelors, but its still post secondary.

On this one I think I am clearly losing at least 50 but most likely 58 points.

Any idea how I could grab a hold of someone at the CIC that could fix this?
Try sending a mail to technical helpdesk. You'll get that mail id on the site.

I'm still skeptical about this because the CRS is calculated based on the inputs provided and it is hardly ever wrong (in fact this is the first I've heard of such a miscalculation).

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scout85 said:

Thanks again
Did either of your diplomas/degrees take 3 or more years to achieve? I suspect the mistake is there, if it is a mistake, as you get 25 points for adaptability under language and experiences sections if you don't have a degree of 3 or more years' duration.

cryptic0

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
I am curious, why aren't you simply having your spouse sponsor you? Are there any inherent disadvantages to that approach?

Scout85

Aug 21, 2015
dobes said:
Did either of your diplomas/degrees take 3 or more years to achieve? I suspect the mistake is there, if it is a mistake, as you get 25 points for adaptability under language and experiences sections if you don't have a degree of 3 or more years' duration.
To confirm, yes I received Bachelor of Commerce, which took just over 3 years.

I suspect that for the 50 points for education and work experience, is being degraded to 25 points each as they require a CLB of 9 for all for areas, and the system isn't picking up on the fact that I have a CLB of 10 across the board (when you convert the IELTS score).

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way of contacting anyone, I have tried a number of avenues, I even called their In "Canada Only line", only to be told that nobody there can help with express entry, and cant even pass the information onto the relevant department.

Feels a lot like a closed shop... not very transparent. Still I will persist, as I believe the chance to move to Canada is too good to pass up.

I just wish there was a phone number I could call, or someone I could email that could take the matter further.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't believe your problem is with IELTS, as I had 9s across the board and got the entire number of points for adaptability. If your WES or ICAS evaluation indicates that one of your degrees is equivalent to a 3-year or more Canadian bachelor's degree, then I would go ahead and send a CSE to CIC about the issue.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you confirm the years of education - the exact month/year mentioned in EE for the diploma and for the degree?
Is there any overlap?

I agree with others.. I don't think it is an IELTS issue.

I'm not sure if the 2 or more degrees refers to a post-Bachelors diploma only.. this was my understanding of it (i.e. Post Graduate diplomas)

Referring to this link:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/when-to-select-two-or-more-degree-certificates-or-diploma-t275124.0.html

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.
ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

Post-Bachelor's Certificate
Post-Bachelor's Diploma
Graduate Certificate
Postgraduate certificate
Postgraduate Diploma
two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
Study Toward a Master's Degree

Scout85

Aug 21, 2015
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know I received an email from CIC letting me know that my profile had been updated.

This coming on the heels of a number of emails to different addresses I found online, tho I have no idea if any of them worked or if the system was just slow to update that particular issue.

However, the issue now seems to have been resolved, and I have now been given 469 points, which is what I thought I should have gotten.

Thank you all for your help!

Scout

Aaalllyyy

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
I do not know why let people married already to applay for express entry,no need for them already his family have vixen suppose to take it with out being in computing called express entry

Knowme

Apr 24, 2014
Hi Seniors/Experts,

Need your advice.
I am 36
I have my ECA, 4 years bachelor degree.
I have 6 years experience
I have my IELTS (RWLS - 6,6,7.5,6.5)
My spouse sister is canadian citizen

Please let me know if my total score is 67 and i can apply for EE ?