+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry in a nutshell

CanadaPRforME

Jul 4, 2016
rajkamalmohanram said:
If you are on a visa that was issued as a part of ICT AND you have been working full-time or equivalent part-time for at least a year, you are eligible to get those 50 points.
Raj,

Thanks, but per the LMIA url you shared i don't see where it talks about the 50 points to be added. Also i have completed 1 yr already in July 2016 for the same employer so this that isn't a concern but concern is for 2nd year to end it'll be only next year mid-july 2017 and i have only 7.5 months of active work permit but the clause to add 50 points to CRS points score i think tells one needs 1 yr work permit over and beyond your PR status date.
I have no issues in marking a 'YES' in CRS point calculation and getting an ITA but when CIC asks me for evidence i might fail to provide details. One friend of mine lost his and his spouse 499+500 CAD application fee because he couldn't justify that his work permit was LMIA based.

Please advise.

Thanks,
CanadaPRforME

kashjuni

Jul 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Experts,

In the address/personal history, do we mention two successive time periods as

Example1:

Address History 1: 29th Sep 2009 to 9th June 2010
Address History 2: 9th June 2010 to 30th Nov 2011

OR

Example 2:

Address History 2: 10th June 2010 to 30th Nov 2011

Which of the example does CIC mean when it says "Do not leave any gap between address histories"

IMO, Example 2 is correct as 9th June means 9th June until 11:59:59 pm and 10th June means 10th June from 12:00:00 am. Hence no gap.

Please advise.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
kashjuni said:
Hi Experts,

In the address/personal history, do we mention two successive time periods as

Example1:

Address History 2: 9th June 2010 to 30th Nov 2011

OR

Example 2:

Address History 2: 10th June 2010 to 30th Nov 2011

Which of the example does CIC mean when it says "Do not leave any gap between address histories"

IMO, Example 2 is correct as 9th June means 9th June until 11:59:59 pm and 10th June means 10th June from 12:00:00 am. Hence no gap.

Please advise.
Personal history follows a mm/yy format and NOT dd/mm/yy format and yes, the months can overlap.

Address History section follows yyyy/mm/dd format. Example 2 would work here, IMO.

kashjuni

Jul 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajkamalmohanram said:
Personal history follows a mm/yy format and NOT dd/mm/yy format and yes, the months can overlap.

Address History section follows yyyy/mm/dd format. Example 2 would work here, IMO.
Completely agree with you on both. I am going ahead the Example 2 way

leegreen

Sep 19, 2016
I have 2 questions I hope someone can help me with...

1. Does my child need to have a current passport, thinking ahead to (hopefully) ITA. We live in the US, currently we only need his birth certificate to get in and out of Canada for kids under 16.

2. Is it worth trying to get a work visa and then doing PR somewhere down the line...? We are doing EE with FSW, it seems like getting a job offer is our only chance to get enough points for an ITA, and that seems hard to do from away.

Thank you :D

zshavit

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Hi,
I have a question to del piero,
you said before:

"No, you do not get any points until you work for that employer for 1 year on full-time basis. Also, you need to have your employer's name on your work permit otherwise you wouldn't get any points after one year of work."

I can't answer yes to the question "do you have a valid job offer?" because I don't have a job offer for one year after pr.
if i answer no, there is no other question after it about the employer's name on my work permit....

Im working almost 2 years for the same employer's that on my work permit. no lmia
Do i get the 50 points?

Thanks

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zshavit said:
Hi,
I have a question to del piero,
you said before:

"No, you do not get any points until you work for that employer for 1 year on full-time basis. Also, you need to have your employer's name on your work permit otherwise you wouldn't get any points after one year of work."

I can't answer yes to the question "do you have a valid job offer?" because I don't have a job offer for one year after pr.
if i answer no, there is no other question after it about the employer's name on my work permit....

Im working almost 2 years for the same employer's that on my work permit. no lmia
Do i get the 50 points?

Thanks
You cannot claim those points as you do not "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa."

Cheers :)

myseneca

Nov 28, 2016
I am currently in working in Ontario, Canada(accounting technician - noc 1311 B)on a pgwp (i can get the reference letter, pay stubs etc)

I have foreign experience(noc 1126 b)as well. I CAN ONLY get a reference letter for the prev foreign job experience but getting access to my other supporting docs like pay slips etc for the same will be difficult, hence I did not mention it my ee profile and as I don't want to get into the hassle of getting the pay slips etc

I have currently 465 point without mentioning the foreign experience. I have entered zero(0) in the funds required section as I want my profile to be under CEC

I have just mention the current job in my ee profile but have not mentioned my foreign experience which I have already mentioned in my study permit and work permit application previously. will there be an issue or discrepancy when i apply for the pr?

What all documents are required to show previous foreign experience?is the reference letter alone enough proof or are other supporting docs required? if i mention it in my EE profile

I am confused about the last question in the ee profile in the work history section
Which of these categories does my current job fall under?
There are 3 options:1. no work permit required; 2. work permit required; no LMIA required; 3. work permit and LMIA required.
which do i selelct?

Thanks you for your help

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
myseneca said:
I am currently in working in Ontario, Canada(accounting technician - noc 1311 B)on a pgwp (i can get the reference letter, pay stubs etc)

I have foreign experience(noc 1126 b)as well. I CAN ONLY get a reference letter for the prev foreign job experience but getting access to my other supporting docs like pay slips etc for the same will be difficult, hence I did not mention it my ee profile and as I don't want to get into the hassle of getting the pay slips etc

I have currently 465 point without mentioning the foreign experience. I have entered zero(0) in the funds required section as I want my profile to be under CEC

I have just mention the current job in my ee profile but have not mentioned my foreign experience which I have already mentioned in my study permit and work permit application previously. will there be an issue or discrepancy when i apply for the pr?

What all documents are required to show previous foreign experience?is the reference letter alone enough proof or are other supporting docs required? if i mention it in my EE profile

I am confused about the last question in the ee profile in the work history section
Which of these categories does my current job fall under?
There are 3 options:1. no work permit required; 2. work permit required; no LMIA required; 3. work permit and LMIA required.
which do i selelct?

Thanks you for your help
For PGWP choose option 2.

The only mandatory document you need to provide to prove previous work experience is a reference letter following CIC guidelines:

"The reference letter is an official document printed on company letterhead and must include your name, the company's contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company and a business card of the person signing the letter. The letter should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits."

Anything else you can provide as an added plus. If you have a reference letter that includes the above you can claim that work experience

zshamim

Feb 7, 2016
rajkamalmohanram said:
If you are on a visa that was issued as a part of ICT AND you have been working full-time or equivalent part-time for at least a year, you are eligible to get those 50 points.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/exempt.asp
Adding some more information as per http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1153419
"The candidates must meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer"
It is not clear if work experience should be in Canada or your home country .
Because this rule does cover the scope of Intra Company Transfer (LMIA exempt) and ICT rule states that
" employed continuously (via payroll or by contract directly with the company), by the company that plans to transfer them outside Canada in a similar full-time position (not accumulated part-time) for at least one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application"
as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/transferees/requirements.asp .
The experience part of one year needs clarity in your case from CIC if you have worked with same organisation in Home Country.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zshamim said:
Adding some more information as per http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1153419
"The candidates must meet certain criteria, such as at least one year of work experience from the same employer who is providing their job offer"
It is not clear if work experience should be in Canada or your home country .
Because this rule does cover the scope of Intra Company Transfer (LMIA exempt) and ICT rule states that
" employed continuously (via payroll or by contract directly with the company), by the company that plans to transfer them outside Canada in a similar full-time position (not accumulated part-time) for at least one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application"
as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/transferees/requirements.asp .
The experience part of one year needs clarity in your case from CIC if you have worked with same organisation in Home Country.
The work experience has to be in Canada, otherwise a work permit exempt from LMIA wouldn't be required.

1 - you have a valid work permit for one of the above listed skilled trade occupation and that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
2 - have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for the employer(s) on your work permit who is making the offer.

arti147

Nov 29, 2016
Hi Guys!

I have a question to you and I need help.

I've been working in Canada for last 2 years, but I had 2 months break between that, because I lost my work permit status (expired).
For now I have new work permit it is still valid for a couple next months. My employer is applying for LMIA, but it will take a while when I hopefully get it.

So... I am going to start with Express Entry profile ASAP and try to get 50 points for offer of employment.
Could you tell me if I qualify for that?

Thank you very much and keep fingers crossed for you!:)

CanadaPRforME

Jul 4, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
The work experience has to be in Canada, otherwise a work permit exempt from LMIA wouldn't be required.

1 - you have a valid work permit for one of the above listed skilled trade occupation and that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
2 - have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for the employer(s) on your work permit who is making the offer.

Dear Del/other experts,

Also i have completed 1 yr already in July 2016 for the same employer so this that isn't a concern but concern is for 2nd year to end it'll be only next year mid-july 2017 and i have only 7.5 months of active work permit but the clause to add 50 points to CRS points score i think tells one needs 1 yr work permit over and beyond your PR status date.
I have no issues in marking a 'YES' in CRS point calculation and getting an ITA but when CIC asks me for evidence i might fail to provide details. One friend of mine lost his and his spouse 499+500 CAD application fee because he couldn't justify that his work permit was LMIA based.

Please advise.

Thanks,
CanadaPRforME

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPRforME said:
Dear Del/other experts,

Also i have completed 1 yr already in July 2016 for the same employer so this that isn't a concern but concern is for 2nd year to end it'll be only next year mid-july 2017 and i have only 7.5 months of active work permit but the clause to add 50 points to CRS points score i think tells one needs 1 yr work permit over and beyond your PR status date.

Please advise.

Thanks,
CanadaPRforME
The problem in your case is that you are missing one of the three requirements.

you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit (good)
have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer and (good)
have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa. (you're missing this)

If you cannot provide evidence that you will be working for a year AFTER receiving your PR you should not claim those 50 points.

arti147

Nov 29, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
The problem in your case is that you are missing one of the three requirements.

you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit (good)
have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer and (good)
have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa. (you're missing this)

If you cannot provide evidence that you will be working for a year AFTER receiving your PR you should not claim those 50 points.

DelPiero07:
Could you provide more information about last point with valid job offer? Should employer just mention in job offer that I will be able to work 1 year after I get PR? What if he does it, next I will get PR and change my mind and change job or come back to my country?
You know it is better to know if there are any consequences or not. I think that not a problem, but I would like to know your opinion.

Thank you!