+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry in a nutshell

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Dear Raj and All,

I have a doubt regarding the below job experience. Below details for your reference
- Job title - Internship (this is what I am seeing in Payslip) and I am paid for this job.
- Duration - May2015-Aug2015
- Hours -18 hrs/week
- Status - Post-graduate work permit

1) Database administrator activities are my key responsibilities for this job(NOC2172).
2) Even in the job posting they mentioned that they are looking for data management administrator. But in the payslip they mentioned as an internship. That time I didn't give importance to this job title.
3) I saved the job description for this job when I applied.

Am I eligible to use this job experience for my Canadian Experience Class?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Nalanda said:
Dear Raj and All,

I have a doubt regarding the below job experience. Below details for your reference
- Job title - Internship (this is what I am seeing in Payslip) and I am paid for this job.
- Duration - May2015-Aug2015
- Hours -18 hrs/week
- Status - Post-graduate work permit

Key responsibilities include
1) Database administrator activities (NOC2172).
2) Even in the job posting they mentioned that they are looking for data management administrator. But in the payslip they mentioned as an internship. That time I didn't give importance to this job title.
3) I saved the job description for this job when I applied.

Am I eligible to use this job experience for my Canadian Experience Class?
The designation does not matter, what is important is that you have to show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Since this experience is gained on work permit and you have worked for 18 hours per week, this will be considered as part time work experience. Since this is part time, it will not be counted as 4 months, instead it would count only as 2 months, still you will have a shortfall of another 10 months. As per the requirement you should have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply.

Check this link for CEC requirements http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Stanlee said:
The designation does not matter, what is important is that you have to show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Since this experience is gained on work permit and you have worked for 18 hours per week, this will be considered as part time work experience. Since this is part time, it will not be counted as 4 months, instead it would count only as 2 months, still you will have a shortfall of another 10 months. As per the requirement you should have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply.

Check this link for CEC requirements http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp
Thanks Stanlee for your explanation and links.

From Aug2015 onwards I am working Full time on another job. Till date, I accumulated 1,100 hours in the current job and I accumulated 234hrs in the part time job I mentioned above. Total is 1334 hrs.

I have another queries,
1) Do I need to provide CIC just experience letter (EL) or EL+payslips?
2) I applied online for post-graduate work permit on 23-Feb-2015, but the PGWP issued on 2-May-2015.
- When does my 1 year of Canadian experience starts, is it from 24-Feb-2015 or 3-May-2015?
- Case1: considering 24-Feb-2015, I already completed 1 year 23-Feb-2016.
- Case2: considering 3-May-2015, I will complete 1 year 2-May-2016.

The reason why I am asking is, the above mentioned part-time I started working from March2015 till Aug2015. Right now, I calculated hours only from 3-May-2015 for my Canadian experience. If case1 is considered, then I will have additional 144 hrs (for March2015 and Apr2015) from that part-time job.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Nalanda said:
Thanks Stanlee for your explanation and links.

From Aug2015 onwards I am working Full time on another job. Till date, I accumulated 1,100 hours in the current job and I accumulated 234hrs in the part time job I mentioned above. Total is 1334 hrs. - As per the requirement, to be eligible you need to have at least 1560 hours (12 months) experience in the three years before you apply.

I have another queries,
1) Do I need provide CIC just experience letter (EL) or EL+payslips? - Reference Letter plus copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe. Check this link for the list of documents http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp.
2) I applied online for post-graduate work permit on 23-Feb-2015, but the PGWP issued on 2-May-2015.
- When does my 1 year of Canadian experience starts from 24-Feb-2015 or 3-May-2015? - From 3-May-2015
- Case1: considering 24-Feb-2015, I already completed 1 year 23-Feb-2016. - No, this will not be applicable.
- Case2: considering 3-May-2015, I will complete 1 year 2-May-2016. - Yes

The reason why I am asking, the above mentioned part-time I started working from March2015 till Aug2015. Right now, I calculated hours only from 3-May-2015 for my Canadian experience. If case1 is considered, then I will have additional 144 hrs (for March2015 and Apr2015) from the part-time job.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Dear All/Raj/Asivad/Stanlee,

I would like to receive some advice on below scenario.

For your information,
1) My wife and I, both of us did our masters degree in Canada. So we both separately received Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).
2) I have PGWP valid till 02-May-2018 and my wife has PGWP valid till 5-Jan-2017.
3) We both are eligible for PNP, based on our masters degree.
4) I am waiting till May-2016 to complete my 1 year of Canadian experience.

Considering that I am submitting my ePR application online by end of May-2016. CIC will take atleast 6 months to process my application.

If incase CIC process goes beyond Jan-2017, what should I do for my wife's status and which of the below scenario is applicable for my wife's situation:

1) I am aware that PGWP is one time offer. Is my wife eligible to extend her post-graduate work permit?If yes, what is the option?
2) Based on my PGWP (valid May-2018), is it possible to apply for spouse open work permit?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Nalanda said:
Dear All/Raj/Asivad/Stanlee,

I would like to receive some advice on below scenario.

For your information,
1) My wife and I, both of us did our masters degree in Canada. So we both separately received Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).
2) I have PGWP valid till 02-May-2018 and my wife has PGWP valid till 5-Jan-2017.
3) We both are eligible for PNP, based on our masters degree.
4) I am waiting till May-2016 to complete my 1 year of Canadian experience.

Considering that I am submitting my ePR application online by end of May-2016. CIC will take atleast 6 months to process my application.

If incase CIC process goes beyond Jan-2017, what should I do for my wife's status and which of the below scenario is applicable for my wife's situation:

1) I am aware that PGWP is one time offer. Is my wife eligible to extend her post-graduate work permit?If yes, what is the option?
2) Based on my PGWP (valid May-2018), is it possible to apply for spouse open work permit?
You can check these links, it has answers to your questions
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Thank you.
I actually have one more question.
When I got my WP based on LMO I was working for a one company and few months after I've got my WP a bigger company bought us. We still do the same thing, my position is still the same, I was just wondering if I have to attache any Explanation Letter explaining why the name of the company on my WP is different than the one that I currently work for?

Thanks

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Johny Bravo said:
Thank you.
I actually have one more question.
When I got my WP based on LMO I was working for a one company and few months after I've got my WP a bigger company bought us. We still do the same thing, my position is still the same, I was just wondering if I have to attache any Explanation Letter explaining why the name of the company on my WP is different than the one that I currently work for?

Thanks
Yes, you can have a Letter of Explanation for the same.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks!
Whats the best way to do that, just upload a letter in PDF? Is there a way to upload two? cause I already have one for a different thing

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Stanlee said:
You can check these links, it has answers to your questions
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp
Dear Stanlee,

I checked the website, I need confirmation on the red highlighted text. In our case, I am going to be the primary applicant of the Permanent Residence application because in near future, I am completing the 1 year for CEC class. I assume my wife will be the dependent. As per the eligiblity for BOWP, she is not the prinicpal applicant on an APR under CEC.So she is not eligible for BOWP. Correct me, If my understanding is wrong.

My wife is also eligible to apply for PNP. She completed her masters here. So she can be the primary applicant for PNP.

BOWP eligibility parameters
To be eligible for a BOWP, foreign nationals must

be currently in Canada; - Satisfied
have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next four months; - Satisfied
be the principal applicant on an APR under the FSWC, the CEC, the FSTC, the PNC (see note below), or one of the two caregiver classes;
have completed one of the following APR stages:
their electronic application for permanent residence (e‑APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the R10 completeness check; or
they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above;
have applied for an open work permit;
have paid the work permit processing fee and the open work permit holder fee; and
have provided, as applicable, evidence (e.g., nomination certificate) that their provincial nomination is unrestricted.

Note: Foreign nationals in the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) are eligible for a BOWP only if they have provided a copy of the nomination letter issued by the nominating province or territory along with their application and there is no indication that employment restrictions exist as conditions of the nomination.

The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a BOWP:

foreign nationals in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), who are exempt from the work permit requirement;
foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status;
foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months or who already have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application;
foreign nationals applying for a BOWP at a port of entry or visa office;
spouses and dependants of principal permanent resident applicants; and
foreign nationals who are inadmissible to Canada.

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hello all, I am a freelance fashion photographer, Mumbai based. I am aged 30 and have a common law partner. Working since 4 years, completed a 1 year photography diploma from Vancouver in 2012. We are applying for the Express Entry with myself as Primary Applicant. My Job Code in NOC is 5221, Skill Set B.

I had the following queries before I proceed and begin the process -

1. It says for skilled trades one has to show full time working "hours" (1560 hours in a year). However, in freelance photography, work can't be clocked precisely based on hours because it is not a fixed routine job. It really depends on project to project. I of course have a body of work that is published and my own portfolio, apart from invoices sent to clients etc.

2. Does a photography diploma equal "certificate of qualification issued by Canadian province or authority (skilled trades)? I read that photography is not a regulated profession in Canada, so I am confused. If my diploma works then I get 50 points for that.

3. Where can I get fingerprinting done in Mumbai, for FBI Clearance (as I lived in the US for more than 6 months around 2007-2008). Most of the google results are for Delhi or Bangalore.

4. I have completed a 3 year diploma in fashion design and technology in 2003-2006, right after passing 12th standard. Should I send this diploma and my 12th standard certificate to WES for ECA? My photography diploma is from Canada so that is exempt from ECA. However as I am now a fashion photographer, technically only photography diploma stays relevant to my current job. But the 3 year fashion design diploma is still a qualification which involves fashion so I am wondering if it will be helpful/better to include this?

Thanks to everyone in advance, looking forward to your guidance.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hi there
I just have a quick question.
During PR application in the section about all the addresses I lived in in past 10 years, is it going to be a problem if I put the one prom 10 years ago first and the current one last (the bottom of the list)?. I don't have any time gaps and and I have all the addresses but I saw in "Personal History" that they ask to start with the most recent one and I did it other way around in "addresses" section. I check and in the section with addresses they don't ask to to start with the most recent on

Thanks

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
PMV said:
Hello all, I am a freelance fashion photographer, Mumbai based. I am aged 30 and have a common law partner. Working since 4 years, completed a 1 year photography diploma from Vancouver in 2012. We are applying for the Express Entry with myself as Primary Applicant. My Job Code in NOC is 5221, Skill Set B.

I had the following queries before I proceed and begin the process -

1. It says for skilled trades one has to show full time working "hours" (1560 hours in a year). However, in freelance photography, work can't be clocked precisely based on hours because it is not a fixed routine job. It really depends on project to project. I of course have a body of work that is published and my own portfolio, apart from invoices sent to clients etc. - Though your NOC falls under skill type B, it will not fall under Federal Skilled Trades, instead it comes under Federal Skilled Workers (self employed). In this regard, I was not able to find IRCC (CIC) guidelines on the same, but I have the following extract from OINP Application Guide for Express Entry.
Self-employment (for FSWP applicants only)
If you are or have been self-employed, provide copies of all the following documentation for periods of self-employment, if available:
 Business/company registration documents;
 Proof of business conducted with clients (i.e., invoices, bills, and client references);
 Balance sheets;
 Income tax returns;
 T4A Statements (if self-employed in Canada); AND
 Proof of license to practice if you are a private practitioner in a regulated occupation.

2. Does a photography diploma equal "certificate of qualification issued by Canadian province or authority (skilled trades)? I read that photography is not a regulated profession in Canada, so I am confused. If my diploma works then I get 50 points for that. - Photography is not a regulated profession, you do not need a license to continue in your occupation. The basic requirements for the same are listed below
- A bachelor's degree in visual arts with specialization in photography
OR
- Completion of specialized training in photography in high school, college or specialized training schools
OR
- Extensive on-the-job training under the supervision of a photographer is required.
- Experience in, or knowledge of computerized photography or digital imaging may be required.
- Creative and technical ability, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required.

3. Where can I get fingerprinting done in Mumbai, for FBI Clearance (as I lived in the US for more than 6 months around 2007-2008). Most of the google results are for Delhi or Bangalore. - You can contact the fingerprinting department of International Forensic Sciences (IFS), Pune. They may charge around INR 3500 (not sure). You can check with them
http://www.forensic.co.in/fbi_fingerprint_card-_visa_immigration_clearence_expert_india/
http://www.fbifingerprinting.in/

4. I have completed a 3 year diploma in fashion design and technology in 2003-2006, right after passing 12th standard. Should I send this diploma and my 12th standard certificate to WES for ECA? My photography diploma is from Canada so that is exempt from ECA. However as I am now a fashion photographer, technically only photography diploma stays relevant to my current job. But the 3 year fashion design diploma is still a qualification which involves fashion so I am wondering if it will be helpful/better to include this? - Education and occupation/NOC does not matter for Express Entry as along as the NOC is under skill type 0, A or B, they are independent of each other. If you get this diploma assessed as 3 years, you can use this and your Canadian photography diploma to claim points for 'two or more degrees/diploma where one is at least three years' which will give you more points for education.

Thanks to everyone in advance, looking forward to your guidance.

newboy06

Feb 22, 2016
Good day house, I have a question about medicals. Can someone with hepatitis b apply for express entry? Has anyone with hepatitis b been granted express entry visa? Thanks for your response