+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry- Criminality check done twice. Have you seen this before?

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
Have you ever seen an application where criminality check was passed and then reopened to have "in process"?

I applied for BC PNP Express Entry on May 5, 2017.
I just got my CBSA notes and it says our (my common-law spouse and I) criminality checks were passed on August 3, 2017 and then on October 23, 2018, it was reopened to "in progress" and security still not started. And my file was transferred to the Caribbean (we are from there, but live and applied in Canada)

When I call or email I get the generic "we are working on it and will reach out to you if we need anything else". I also had the MP called and they just tell him that Background check takes as long as it takes because it's done through a third party service.

Do you have any suggestions on why it could be taking more than 2 years?

Thanks for your time.

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Have you ever seen an application where criminality check was passed and then reopened to have "in process"?

I applied for BC PNP Express Entry on May 5, 2017.
I just got my CBSA notes and it says our (my common-law spouse and I) criminality checks were passed on August 3, 2017 and then on October 23, 2018, it was reopened to "in progress" and security still not started. And my file was transferred to the Caribbean (we are from there, but live and applied in Canada)

When I call or email I get the generic "we are working on it and will reach out to you if we need anything else". I also had the MP called and they just tell him that Background check takes as long as it takes because it's done through a third party service.

Do you have any suggestions on why it could be taking more than 2 years?

Thanks for your time.
It is obvious from your timeline that your application has exceeded the normal processing time. I will advise that besides calling, send an email to the Ottawa office with your questions and concerns. You try calling the Ottawa office instead, they could help hasten your application through the process.

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
It is obvious from your timeline that your application has exceeded the normal processing time. I will advise that besides calling, send an email to the Ottawa office with your questions and concerns. You try calling the Ottawa office instead, they could help hasten your application through the process.
Thanks for responding. When I called the last time (a few months ago they said my file is in one of the Caribbean office and gave me their email address the contact them directly). I emailed that office and all they said was that they received my file in December 2018 and an officer is reviewing it it and will let me know if they need anything else.
It was after receiving that email I ordered the CBSA notes.
Do you think the Toronto office can help bring that they say my file is in the Caribbean?

Thanks I will email Toronto still- can’t hurt I guess

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Thanks for responding. When I called the last time (a few months ago they said my file is in one of the Caribbean office and gave me their email address the contact them directly). I emailed that office and all they said was that they received my file in December 2018 and an officer is reviewing it it and will let me know if they need anything else.
It was after receiving that email I ordered the CBSA notes.
Do you think the Toronto office can help bring that they say my file is in the Caribbean?

Thanks I will email Toronto still- can’t hurt I guess
Still email them and call both Toronto and Caribbean.

Reactions: Therisaw

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
Thanks, I will do that.

However, do you have any idea, whey they would re-do the criminality check after one year, without starting the security check. does it have an expiry date like the medical?

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Thanks, I will do that.

However, do you have any idea, whey they would re-do the criminality check after one year, without starting the security check. does it have an expiry date like the medical?
I do not have any idea. It appears that CIC does not follow a particular path; the sequence of checks seems to be based on the agents' discretion.

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
I do not have any idea. It appears that CIC does not follow a particular path; the sequence of checks seems to be based on the agents' discretion.
Thanks, I emailed both offices, i’m hoping I will get it soon. It’s been over 2 years now.

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
Sorry I meant to say I will email both offices in the earlier message. I emailed the Toronto office today.

This is the response I got from CIC in the Caribbean back in April.

" This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the High Commission Canada in "the Caribbean office name here".
This Provincial Nominee application was received at our office on December 05, 2018 and is presently with the processing officer for further review. Following the review, you will be advised directly of the decision or any next steps.

Please note that granting a specific time frame for finalization of the application cannot be given.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely"

After receiving this in April was when I ordered the CBSA report which showed the two criminality check. Do you think I should email them again? If so what do you think I should say?

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Sorry I meant to say I will email both offices in the earlier message. I emailed the Toronto office today.

This is the response I got from CIC in the Caribbean back in April.

" This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the High Commission Canada in "the Caribbean office name here".
This Provincial Nominee application was received at our office on December 05, 2018 and is presently with the processing officer for further review. Following the review, you will be advised directly of the decision or any next steps.

Please note that granting a specific time frame for finalization of the application cannot be given.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

Sincerely"

After receiving this in April was when I ordered the CBSA report which showed the two criminality check. Do you think I should email them again? If so what do you think I should say?
I think you should email them again, asking for any update and reminding them that your application has exceeded the expected processing time.

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
I think you should email them again, asking for any update and reminding them that your application has exceeded the expected processing time.
It hurts because I help a lot of my friends apply after me and they all received theirs. Even the ones who did paper-based PNP application.

Thanks for your advice, I think I'm a bit scared they might think I'm bothering them and delay it more. My main thing is I don't want have pay for another bridging work permit- mine expires in October. I hope I get it before because it's costing me money for that when I might have to pay to redo the medical too. Do you think I should ask them if I will get it before my bridging work permit expire? I just don't want to piss them off but it's frustrating.

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
It hurts because I help a lot of my friends apply after me and they all received theirs. Even the ones who did paper-based PNP application.

Thanks for your advice, I think I'm a bit scared they might think I'm bothering them and delay it more. My main thing is I don't want have pay for another bridging work permit- mine expires in October. I hope I get it before because it's costing me money for that when I might have to pay to redo the medical too. Do you think I should ask them if I will get it before my bridging work permit expire? I just don't want to piss them off but it's frustrating.
You may not be upsetting anyone, especially if you are linked with a pleasant person and you approach your issue politely. It may also help to let them know about your concern, that is, your soon-to-expire pgwp. This may help them understand things from your perspective and possible get them to hasten your application.

Therisaw

Star Member
Jun 8, 2013
Visa Office......
In Canada
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
You may not be upsetting anyone, especially if you are linked with a pleasant person and you approach your issue politely. It may also help to let them know about your concern, that is, your soon-to-expire pgwp. This may help them understand things from your perspective and possible get them to hasten your application.
Yeah, I emailed both the Caribbean office and the Toronto office. I’m always respectful when I message them. I also added that it would be nice to get it before I have to have to renew my BOWP in August. Fingers crossed I get it soon, I’ll keep you posted on what they say.

Thanks again

Reactions: Copingwithlife

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
Yeah, I emailed both the Caribbean office and the Toronto office. I’m always respectful when I message them. I also added that it would be nice to get it before I have to have to renew my BOWP in August. Fingers crossed I get it soon, I’ll keep you posted on what they say.

Thanks again
Best of luck

Reactions: Therisaw