+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Application is Approved. Need guidance on next steps

shree1591

Jan 2, 2018
Hello

I got my Application for Permanent Residence APPROVED and received my passport stamped with Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) which is valid until July 3rd 2019.

A little background about myself: I am an Indian citizen currently residing in the United States and working on my H1-B Visa. I have a valid H1-B visa stamp in my passport which is valid until end of 2020.

Based on information I read in your forums, I understood that i would need to enter Canada on or before July 3rd 2019. However , I don't have plans to relocate immediately to Canada. I want to relocate sometime early next year so that I have enough time to plan and relocate .

I wanted your inputs on how i should proceed my next steps. I am willing to travel to Canada to ensure my validity is intact. But i am also not in a position to relocate immediately. So i want to understand how things work.
  1. What is procedure as soon as I enter Canada ? It will be very helpful if you provide a brief explanation regarding various procedures at the airport.
  2. What is the list of documents/items that i should carry with me ?
  3. My CoPR says that my port of entry is Toronto. I would like to visit my sister who stays in Montreal Quebec. So can i travel to Montreal Directly ?
  4. How long do I have to stay put in Canada ? I would need to return to work in USA. So i would need to return as early as possible.
It would very helpful if you could provide your expertise on these specifics, So that i can travel to Canada and can come back to USA before my Document Expires.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
What you want to do is called a "soft landing". A lot of people choose to land this way and you can learn more about it by searching and reading this forum.

Basically, you formally become a PR by having your CoPR signed, get your SIN either in the airport or at a Service Canada, finish your visit in Canada, then return to your home country until you're ready to permanently move.

1. Look up "landing experience" on this forum-- it will tell you what to expect. I have mine linked in my signature.
2. IRCC has the answers for you.
3. You can visit Quebec after landing outside of Quebec (for example, in Toronto), but you cannot land in Quebec unless you became a PR through Quebec's stream.
4. You don't have to stay for any period of time, but you should bear in mind that in order to fulfill your residency obligations, you need to live in Canada for at least 2 years out of any 5 year period.

Reactions: shree1591