+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Applicants from Trinidad & Tobago or with Port of Spain VO

SMV

Jul 5, 2017
Just an update guys!

So I sent off my passport today using FedEx - I went to DHL first, but they don't facilitate the Prepaid Airway Bill...

I was hoping I could get everything done and sent off when I visited FedEx this morning, but to my surprise, in order to do the prepaid airway bill - I had to create a FedEx Account online (this can only be done using a desktop or laptop computer - not phone).

I had to put the "from" address as POS address and the "to" address as my address.
When I was done putting in all the details I got a printabe airway bill to include in the FedEx Envelope.

FedEx came to my workplace in the evening and collected the passports, pics and the airwaybill and I was able to put my FedEx account number on the form (instead of swiping my card) as the account is already linked to my credit card....

Hope this can help someone;)

Now I wait for visa.....:D
FedEx was a problem here as they don't do domestic shipping. Well at least the outlet I went to on Fri so that kept me back and I couldn't ship off my immigration docs until yesterday.
Oh well everything happens when it's supposed to. We'll all get through.

Reactions: Jamaicangirl88

SMV

Jul 5, 2017
Hey @SMV I've had similar situations with many applications/forms in the past but I've learnt that placing (First Name) (space) (Middle Name) under the area for "First name" is commonly accepted and understood. Hope this helps

Thank you. From the feedback I received here I planned to do just that but surprisingly pos vo replied by the next working day and confirmed.

Jamaicangirl88

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Port of Spain, Trinidad
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-01-2017
Passports delivered this morning!
Let's see how quickly POS can stamp and return.....o_O

Jamaicangirl88

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Port of Spain, Trinidad
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-01-2017
Took approximately 7 working days back in June! However, tell us the exact time taken now.
At least you are already in Trinidad....that probably shaved off a couple days off of your turnaround time....
I will keep you posted!

malican

May 24, 2016
At least you are already in Trinidad....that probably shaved off a couple days off of your turnaround time....
I will keep you posted!
That TAT given was from the day it arrived to the day it left... actual processing. Based on other non Trinidadian passports coming into POS VO I don't see them taking a much longer time as the foil etc is printed before hand. I could imagine how excited you are... then when you get the COPR the mental drama of planning and moving starts! Any idea of when you intend to land?

Jamaicangirl88

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Port of Spain, Trinidad
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-01-2017
That TAT given was from the day it arrived to the day it left... actual processing. Based on other non Trinidadian passports coming into POS VO I don't see them taking a much longer time as the foil etc is printed before hand. I could imagine how excited you are... then when you get the COPR the mental drama of planning and moving starts! Any idea of when you intend to land?
Okay great then......7 days would put me at next week Friday (exactly 6 months since AOR).....let's see how it goes......I plan to land the first week in September.....I wanna get there before it gets really cold so that I can adjust somewhat.....

How about you? When do you plan to land?

Last edited:

malican

May 24, 2016
In my research I have seen many posts on this. In summary, some have traveled successfully having a COPR but used a TRV through immigration and landed using the COPR at a later date. However, on the contrary I have seen numerous posts stating the practice is unlawful with a citation from CIC's website and you cannot hold a valid TRV and COPR/PR at the same time. As the trini saying goes... Gopaul luck is not Seepaul luck and to be safe the best advice would to to send POS VO a clarification email (you can get the email on the PPR letter).

On another note, you can land and use someone's address in Canada who can Fedex/courier you the card to T&T after landing; it is permissible.

Good luck!
Thanks guys! @malican @Jamaicangirl88

I also have another concern. I did not expect to get PPR this soon and have made travel plans for August, coincidentally with transit both ways through Toronto. I am not yet prepared for "landing" and furthermore cannot do it this time around, since my PR card would never be ready in time for me to enter Canada on my return journey. What I wanted to know is if they would cancel my TRV/visitor's visa once issuing the Immigrant visa when I submit my passport. I believe that entering the country as a visitor would help me get away from this complication. And perhaps I could complete my Landing at a later date. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Tha
Hey Trini.phar - checking in to see if you were able to contact the Embassy.

Trini.phar

Jul 6, 2017
Hi @malican
Thank you so much for your responses! It really is great having support from all of you guys.
Update: I sent an email requesting further information on what to do on the upcoming trip but I have not gotten any response from the high commission yet. Hoping to hear from them soon :(

I did some more reading and found out that re-entering Canada without your PR card is really an issue for commercial vehicles (airlines, bus companies etc) since they are required by Canadian immigration to ensure that all travelers are able to enter Canada before boarding. COPR is not accepted for this purpose. Someone in another thread noted that citizens of visa-exempt countries can therefore board the airplane (or other commercial vehicle) on the strength of their passport (as a "visitor" that is) and upon arrival in Canada, immigration officials are able to verify your status on their system. In my case, I am Trinidadian and would therefore have to rely on the validity of my Visitors visa. Did they cancel yours upon issuance of your COPR??
I can delay my Landing and proceed as a visitor just for this trip to avoid complication, if this is allowed.

In my research I have seen many posts on this. In summary, some have traveled successfully having a COPR but used a TRV through immigration and landed using the COPR at a later date. However, on the contrary I have seen numerous posts stating the practice is unlawful with a citation from CIC's website and you cannot hold a valid TRV and COPR/PR at the same time. As the trini saying goes... Gopaul luck is not Seepaul luck and to be safe the best advice would to to send POS VO a clarification email (you can get the email on the PPR letter).

On another note, you can land and use someone's address in Canada who can Fedex/courier you the card to T&T after landing; it is permissible.

Good luck!

Trini.phar

Jul 6, 2017
the problem with this option is: based on the average processing time for PR cards, it's unlikely that mine would be ready for my return journey

On another note, you can land and use someone's address in Canada who can Fedex/courier you the card to T&T after landing; it is permissible!

malican

May 24, 2016
Hi @malican
Thank you so much for your responses! It really is great having support from all of you guys.
Update: I sent an email requesting further information on what to do on the upcoming trip but I have not gotten any response from the high commission yet. Hoping to hear from them soon :(

I did some more reading and found out that re-entering Canada without your PR card is really an issue for commercial vehicles (airlines, bus companies etc) since they are required by Canadian immigration to ensure that all travelers are able to enter Canada before boarding. COPR is not accepted for this purpose. Someone in another thread noted that citizens of visa-exempt countries can therefore board the airplane (or other commercial vehicle) on the strength of their passport (as a "visitor" that is) and upon arrival in Canada, immigration officials are able to verify your status on their system. In my case, I am Trinidadian and would therefore have to rely on the validity of my Visitors visa. Did they cancel yours upon issuance of your COPR??
I can delay my Landing and proceed as a visitor just for this trip to avoid complication, if this is allowed.
the problem with this option is: based on the average processing time for PR cards, it's unlikely that mine would be ready for my return journey
I am sure they would respond soon. They took about 2 days to respond to my email.

They didn't cancel my travel visa upon issuance of my COPR however I have read on numerous threads that the issuance of a COPR nullifies the travel visa whether they've marked it or not. Seeing that we have no proof of these statements and to avoid this any othe potential situations just wait for their response before making further plans.

On the contrary, after landing you can leave the country and have someone fedex/courier the PR card to you in TT. Or you can get a document to give you re-entry. I understand this process does not take long.

Your best bet is to await their response.

SMV

Jul 5, 2017
Hey guys I sent in my passport on Monday and got it back on Fri. It was actually ready on Thursday but the UPS guy collected it a bit late so it was delivered the next day.
So that's 4/ 5 days..... so pos vo is moving quite quick.

malican

May 24, 2016
Hey guys I sent in my passport on Monday and got it back on Fri. It was actually ready on Thursday but the UPS guy collected it a bit late so it was delivered the next day.
So that's 4/ 5 days..... so pos vo is moving quite quick.
Oh wow that is awesome! !! POS VO is on fire! Congratulations. When do you plan on landing?

SMV

Jul 5, 2017
Oh wow that is awesome! !! POS VO is on fire! Congratulations. When do you plan on landing?
Thank you. I agree they're really moving quickly at the VO. I'm aiming for late September /early October for landing. Until then I've registered for pre-arrival services

OntarioExpress

Star Member
Dec 7, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR: Feb 1
PNP applicant: Ontario
VO: Port of Spain
Background: Still NA (since Mar 8)
PPR: July 17