Express Entry Applicants from Jamaica

Bella5

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Drenalin04 said:
1. Pre-landing condition your mind. It is a lot different from Jamaica and Eastern Canada.

2 it is always good to establish a link (you can do this through the Jamaican Chapter). Like Xfactor, I came to Calgary without knowing anyone. But guest what? through this forum thread, you're meeting people who are already in Alberta and can help you to settle. I also know some Jamaicans who wont leave you stranded. Key: Jamaicans love to go to church. Just attend one of the popular type Jamaican churches and you wont be short of help :)
1. Ok so I ve lived outside of Jamaica before so I understand that to survive you gotta work... understood. What are some things or circumstances about Western Canada that may come as a surprise to those of us who have never lived there (under the Jamaican context).

Big_Yute

Mar 21, 2015
IrieLady said:
Hi Everyone,
I recently got ITA ( October 2) and now I am preparing my documents foe upload. The job reference letters I have are dated June 2015. Are these letters too old to upload? Also I currently have only a third of the POF in my account for past 6 months. My husband who is coming with me will be transferring the rest into my account What do I need to do to ensure they do not reject my application due to proof of funds. Thank you!

IrieLady
Hi IrieLady

I would recommend getting updated reference letters. CIC is very particular about those letters, so make sure they are issued post ITA. As it relates to POFs, you can use your husband's bank statement without transfering the funds to your account. I used my wife's pension statement as POFs, and i received a request from CIC on October 7 to pay Right of Permanent Residence Fee. As per CICs website, the POFs can be in yours or your accompanying spouse's account.

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015
AckeeSaltfish said:
Thanks Drenalin04

I never thought of that. Yes I had a birthday a few weeks after I signed up for Express entry. Hmmm ... 395 is just stuck on me
Suggestion:

Look at the Saskatchewan Nominee (SNIP). As an instructor, Lecturer etc....It is one of the in demand jobs. You don't need 400 points. to qualify. Cheers

AckeeSaltfish

Oct 16, 2015
Drenalin04 said:
Suggestion:

Look at the Saskatchewan Nominee (SNIP). As an instructor, Lecturer etc....It is one of the in demand jobs. You don't need 400 points. to qualify. Cheers
Will do. Thanks for advice :)

Xfactor

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Drenalin04 said:
1. Pre-landing condition your mind. It is a lot different from Jamaica and Eastern Canada.

2 it is always good to establish a link (you can do this through the Jamaican Chapter). Like Xfactor, I came to Calgary without knowing anyone. But guest what? through this forum thread, you're meeting people who are already in Alberta and can help you to settle. I also know some Jamaicans who wont leave you stranded. Key: Jamaicans love to go to church. Just attend one of the popular type Jamaican churches and you wont be short of help :)
True words Drenalin04. There are at least 30 Jamaicans at my church and that's a lot. That'a almost half of the congregation. Once you guys come here and start getting to know people especially if you find some Jamaicans, then you will feel right at home. If anyone of you will be heading to Edmonton then check out JANA ( Jamaica Association Nothern Alberata) for networking. Other than that, like I said, link me up and come church with me to meet some more Jamaicans lol.

In the meantime, gwan eat up all the ackee, fish, mangoes, sugar cane, breadfruit just to name a few, because though you may be able to find some of what I have mentioned, it won't taste the same as what we have in Jamaica :)

IrieLady

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
Nomination.....
Oct 23, 2015
AOR Received.
Nov 12,2015
Passport Req..
Feb 5, 2016
Hi All,
Thank you for your guidance. It is much appreciated! ;D

IrieLady

MASF

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Re: Express Entry Applicants from Jamaica- my first post

AckeeSaltfish said:
Hi
I got 7 for Reading and 8 for everything else. When I first joined Express entry, I had 405 points and about 1 week later it changed to 395. Been trying to figure it out since then. Not sure why the change.
Did you celebrate a Bday:

I lost 5 points on my birthday

MASF

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
YamPower said:
Gosh that's really hard. It would be better to ask individual questions because there's just so much that could be said.
I think it's better to have letters dated after the ITA was issued. June is 4 months ago and many things could have changed since then.
I think the only letter Irielady should get a more current version of is her current employment letter. Your past employment has a start and end date to your tenure and that wont change as its your past. Your current employment is however different.

I received a provincial nomination and in that letter from the province they advised me to make sure I submitted the same letters I presented to them. Some of my all my letters excepts the one for my current employment were dated from early 2014 as I had requested them before EE to ensure I had everything ready.

I am saying this to say if you can easily get new letters from all your places of previous employment by all means get them. But if the tasks poses a difficulty you do not need to be overly concerned about the letters. Its not the date of the letters that count but the content of them as the letters prove to the Officer that the duties you performed are a match to the noc under which you have applied.

MASF

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
AckeeSaltfish said:
Will do. Thanks for advice :)
Hi AckeeSaltfish:

Unfortunately SINP has reached their CAP for this year. They Opened in June with a 1000 cap and that was reached in early September. On September 18, 2015 they announced and additional 1000 nomination and that Cap was reached within a week. They will reopen next year so ensure you are proactive in checking your website to see when.

Also Alberta has announced that they will make changes to their PNP for EE with a Jan 27, 2016 date so you can monitor their website as well in the event that you are interested in the province.

Hope this helps. Good Luck with your process

AckeeSaltfish

Oct 16, 2015
MASF said:
Hi AckeeSaltfish:

Unfortunately SINP has reached their CAP for this year. They Opened in June with a 1000 cap and that was reached in early September. On September 18, 2015 they announced and additional 1000 nomination and that Cap was reached within a week. They will reopen next year so ensure you are proactive in checking your website to see when.

Also Alberta has announced that they will make changes to their PNP for EE with a Jan 27, 2016 date so you can monitor their website as well in the event that you are interested in the province.

Hope this helps. Good Luck with your process
Super thanks MASF!
Will be checking those sites regularly in January. Good to know about the Alberta one.
Congrats on the ITA. First step :)

Bella5

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MASF said:
Hi All:

I received ITA today
RAA AAAAAEEEEEEEEE :p :p :p :p
CONGRATS MASF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO TRU!!!!!!! :

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Congrats to MASF!

I have good news to report: Two companies contacted me this week about positions I applied for. The first interview is on Monday and the second is week after next. That means I'll be landing a couple weeks earlier than planned. This throws a curveball but I don't mind. Opportunities don't come around everyday.

Bella5

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YamPower said:
Congrats to MASF!

I have good news to report: Two companies contacted me this week about positions I applied for. The first interview is on Monday and the second is week after next. That means I'll be landing a couple weeks earlier than planned. This throws a curveball but I don't mind. Opportunities don't come around everyday.
You go girl!!!!!!! Mash up the interviews ;)

MASF

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
YamPower said:
Congrats to MASF!

Thanks guys I will keep you posted.

Yam Power are these the jobs you applied for in Alberta?

Best of Luck