Express Entry Applicants from Jamaica

Bella5

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So Mr Drenalin,

I must admit I'm buying into the idea of Calgary :)

Quick question my friend yampower will be there shortly, suppose she decides to come to Calgary (with zero contacts) to look for work and to settle . What does she do

1. Pre-landing
2. As soon as she lands

I mean from figuring out where to look for an affordable place to live... to what work networking opportunities to go to etc. I'm asking how does one start from nil in moving to Calgary. How would you start out there?

Just want to turn this image in my head to some practicality. Thanks for the resources quoted above.

Bella

Xfactor

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tishfaith said:
All the best Xfactor and when you have some time swing by and tell us how Edmonton is.

Many blessings and b safe
Thanks. I can tell you now, been working and living here ( Alberta) for two years now. Initially I didn't like Edmonton I guess because I was coming from "the big city Toronto". I worked there for a year. Edmonton has however grown on me and even more so because I now have a few Jamaican friends. People say Alberta is colder than say Ontario but I beg to differ. Last winter here was a mild one and I sat back looking at how brutal some days were in Ontario than here. In terms of jobs, from what I gather, Alberta is still doing well where job creation is concerned despite the down turn in the oil field while jobs in Ontario are still very competitive and the province is in a rut right now. Another thing, Canada is not just Ontario. BC for example beat Alberta by 1% in job creation up to September this year. Both BC and Alberta were the #1 and #2 provinces respectively listed to have an increase in jobs up to September 2015. The Globe and Mail report on business recently shed some light on that. I said that, to say this, there are other provinces with lots of opportunities for us to explore not just Ontario. Personally, i am a laid back person. I am a home body and Edmonton moves ar my pace unlike Toronto which is over populated and traffic would mad me lol. I took a leap of faith and moved to Alberta all by my lonesome and was not disappointed. I never had any family or friends here but I looked at the bigger picture ahead and kept it moving. Just note that when you come here fresh from Jamaica, you may not land into your dream job right away. If you don't, just ride out the storm for a awhile because things will get better after a year or two

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
Drenalin thanks for your response.

However, i work in the financial sector and i have been told by friends who have lived in both Calgary and Toronto, that Toronto is better when it comes to finding a job in the financial sector. Yes i know Calgary is good for those working in the oil and gas, engineering kind of role, but i want to be where i could easily get a job in something related to my financial field. Please can you expatiate more on this?
Also, How is Calgary when it comes to welcoming people who are a bit different (if you know what i mean)?
Lastly, i would also be interested and sort of curious to know what your answers are to Bella's questions.
Thanks.

Drenalin04 said:
Hello ETE

I am happy that you're interested in the best that Canada has to offer just like all of us here. Please note that initially I didn't know anything about Calgary before coming here. I was in Ontario (specifically Toronto and Niagara Area...Ottawa also in Ontario). I then thought long and hard about my future and started to do some research. At that time I would have even gone to the North pole (Yukon, Nunavut or Northwest Territories). I just wanted to earn the highest I possible can for my job level and field (Geomatics). Alberta provide approximately 40 percent of Canada's entire budget and is Canada's backbone. If you look at the oil crisis now you will realize whenever Alberta crumbles Canada does. Biggest beneficiary and non contributor is Quebec.. but heard it is very historical there (that is what my Physiotherapist says. She is from there but came to Alberta to work). The Chief Financial Officer at my company tells me not to go there as it economy is weak. He is from there as well. Maybe some Jamaicans there can share their experience for a more balanced view.

Lets look at the example of two persons I know. Lets give them pet name Susie and Tom. Susie was in Toronto for many years. She went there as a teen and was working for 20 plus years but didn't earn much. She came to Calgary looking for a change (in her early 40s) and got a job in a Call Centre as a Tech support representative and was earning 19.71 per hr. After 14 months she decided she wanted to be back close to her parents (she is an only child) she asked the company for a transfer and the company decided that her situation calls for the transfer. When they rewrote her package for the transfer to Ontario she would be earning $13.21! But why? not many Canadians in Alberta will accept 13 dollars for a job (some people do when they have two jobs and want to earn a little extra), but Ontario cities are some what densely populated with people unwilling to venture out. Therefore, due to the high numbers in the labour force companies will offer closer to the minimum wage. Simple case of demand and supply.

On the other hand Tom went to school with me. We worked together on most team projects in school. He is Canadian, but we shared good work ethics and the same Jamaican Barber. He said he will not move from Toronto as his girl friend was there. He got a mid level job in Geomatics and what he thought he was earning was good. When I came to Alberta. I told him what I was earning (other classmates told him what they were earning as well)... it wasn't hard to convince him and his girlfriend to move here. He applied for a job and got it in March of this year and is quite happy, hoping to earn enough to move back East in the next five years.

In my previous post I mentioned the pros and cons as I know them. Maybe other Jamaicans here can share there experience. Vancouver is beautiful with and an amazing life style. It is pretty expensive though. The Oil and Gas industry in BC Saskatchewan and Southern Manitoba is controlled by Alberta based companies which allows Alberta to pull the strings. Saskatchewan has jobs and a lot of resource based industries as well as agriculture. The Salary is not as high, but it is a good place to start out and then migrate to Alberta as has been the trend. Calgary and Edmonton are pretty much the same. However, I believe that if you want to start in Alberta you should try to start in Edmonton and the migrate south to Calgary which has been the trend for migrants both Internationals and Canadians (please note this only a suggestion). Edmonton has mostly local offices of larger companies, but it serves as Alberta's administrative capital. Calgary is largely oil and gas with many head offices and oil and gas service industries. Also, what I have realized in Alberta is that they are willing to re-train people so all you need is that networking opportunity. So even if you have a degree in history or literature you still stand a chance once you network and share your interest. One of the Protrend data analyst in the company I work for have a degree in Library Science (she is from Nova Scotia). This is oil and gas analysis (chemistry) she is doing on a day to day basis. She was employed and trained on the job while bouncing around between administrative roles and administrative here also includes going out and meeting with clients etc. It was the same with me too I started in Production Measurement and Instrumentation (Wells and Pipelines quality assurance). I couldn't appreciate this more because I realized that we are few and far hence the very good pay. I was later migrated to geomatics which is my area of interest. Now I mix both which gives me an advantage. So yes guys things can happen if we remain open minded. The good thing about us Jamaicans is that we have no limitations.. we are always willing to try.

The real con in Alberta is that you have to network sending out resumes alone won't do it. People are more comfortable when they know you face to face. Also many people here in Calgary don't even know much Jamaica. Don't get me wrong guys, but this is a huge plus, because sometimes as Jamaicans we are stereotyped. "my boss believed all Jamaicans smoked weed, grow locks and have lots of kids". Initially he thought I was just from Ontario but once I was going on vacation and he asked me where to and I said home.. Jamaica. It was quite hilarious. when he asked about marijuana and said he use to smoke it iway back in college in 70's. He was surprised when I told him I never smoked anything before (well except experimenting with cho cho leaf when in primary school lol...it looked like tobacco leaf so forgive me there). I had to re-educate him. I am encouraging him to go there with his family for vacation and I think he is buying into it.

Just my take on it again guys.

I hope some other Jamaicans in Canada can also share their experiences and why they chose certain localities.

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
Is it possible for all the persons who have gotten Permanent Residence in Jamaica thru Express Entry to provide info on any peculiarities/problems/imperfections they had with their application or submission of documents after ITA and how they dealt with it/them?

This would provide some guide for the new Jamaican or others applying. This info could direct them and reduce unnecessary pitfalls/errors.

Thanks.

IrieLady

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
Nomination.....
Oct 23, 2015
AOR Received.
Nov 12,2015
Passport Req..
Feb 5, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I recently got ITA ( October 2) and now I am preparing my documents foe upload. The job reference letters I have are dated June 2015. Are these letters too old to upload? Also I currently have only a third of the POF in my account for past 6 months. My husband who is coming with me will be transferring the rest into my account What do I need to do to ensure they do not reject my application due to proof of funds. Thank you!

IrieLady

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
Hi,

As anyone who got thru with express entry/Permanent Residence had a mortgage which they had to disclose?

If yes, how did you incorporate it in Proof Fund as CIC is requesting this information after ITA - ' list all outstanding debts, such as credit cards and loans'.

Any information would be appreciated...thank you

AckeeSaltfish

Oct 16, 2015
Re: Express Entry Applicants from Jamaica- my first post

Tishfaith said:
Hi AckeeSaltfish,

Welcome. How was your IELTS test- band 9 and above in all 4 components??

If not, maybe you could resit the exam and get those scores and you would likely see your score go above
400 and increase your probability of getting an Ontario Province Nomination or better yet a straight ITA.

All the best
Hi
I got 7 for Reading and 8 for everything else. When I first joined Express entry, I had 405 points and about 1 week later it changed to 395. Been trying to figure it out since then. Not sure why the change.

AckeeSaltfish

Oct 16, 2015

MASF said:
What is your noc code?
Hi MASF

NOC4011- Instructor, lecturer, tutor
Got 7 in Reading and 8s in the IELTS
When I signed up I had 405 point about a week or so later it went to 395 . I checked back my application twice trying to figure out what made the difference. But couldn't find it. Keeping thinking of how I can get a few more points

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
ETE said:
YamPower, i thought you were moving to toronto?
That's the plan and that's where I really, really want to be but if I get a job in another city then by the time you seh who dat mi gone there.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Xfactor said:
I am happy to say that I am now a permanent resident of Canada. I did my landing tonight. While it took me the maximum time (6 months), it was worth the wait.

Yam Power, thanks for your words of encouragement and though I don't come around as often as I would like to, I appreciate your positivity on this forum.

To everyone else waiting, all the best and keep the faith and if anyone one of you will be in Edmonton, link up!!!
Drenalin04 said:
Big up yuh self Yampower, You have been of very good help to many persons here and other forum threads as well. Most jobs won't list salaries but that is where your negotiation skills comes in. Just always make sure that you let them know that you can work with the average for the Industry in Alberta ;D. That way you're not going over or under.

Also, at it relates to Alberta try to contact the Jamaican chapter in Alberta and give them a call. The older folks can be very helpful (jcaalberta . com). Also try indeed . ca .....for jobs.

Just a heads up when applying for jobs. Try to get a local provincial address 8) . I am not sure sure how to send private messages here. I haven't really explored the intricacies of this site that much, but when I do I will send you and other interested person my email address so we can keep the link going.

All the best with the applications.
Thanks guys! :) This forum helped me immensely so I'm just paying it forward. I'm also a member of a local whatsapp group of people who went through the old system and went up this year. They have been a blessing.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Tishfaith said:
Is it possible for all the persons who have gotten Permanent Residence in Jamaica thru Express Entry to provide info on any peculiarities/problems/imperfections they had with their application or submission of documents after ITA and how they dealt with it/them?

This would provide some guide for the new Jamaican or others applying. This info could direct them and reduce unnecessary pitfalls/errors.

Thanks.
Gosh that's really hard. It would be better to ask individual questions because there's just so much that could be said.
IrieLady said:
Hi Everyone,
I recently got ITA ( October 2) and now I am preparing my documents foe upload. The job reference letters I have are dated June 2015. Are these letters too old to upload? Also I currently have only a third of the POF in my account for past 6 months. My husband who is coming with me will be transferring the rest into my account What do I need to do to ensure they do not reject my application due to proof of funds. Thank you!

IrieLady
I think it's better to have letters dated after the ITA was issued. June is 4 months ago and many things could have changed since then.

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015

AckeeSaltfish said:
Hi MASF

NOC4011- Instructor, lecturer, tutor
Got 7 in Reading and 8s in the IELTS
When I signed up I had 405 point about a week or so later it went to 395 . I checked back my application twice trying to figure out what made the difference. But couldn't find it. Keeping thinking of how I can get a few more points
Did you age change? As you get older the score reduces

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015
ETE said:
Drenalin thanks for your response.

However, i work in the financial sector and i have been told by friends who have lived in both Calgary and Toronto, that Toronto is better when it comes to finding a job in the financial sector. Yes i know Calgary is good for those working in the oil and gas, engineering kind of role, but i want to be where i could easily get a job in something related to my financial field. Please can you expatiate more on this?
Also, How is Calgary when it comes to welcoming people who are a bit different (if you know what i mean)?
Lastly, i would also be interested and sort of curious to know what your answers are to Bella's questions.
Thanks.
More financial based Jobs are in the Greater Toronto Area so if finance is your background then it will be easier for you there. However, Heavy industries do need financial persons as well, so there is a financial sector in Calgary. Calgary like the rest of Canada is a cosmopolitan society, so the majority won't be less welcoming because you are different.

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015
Bella5 said:
So Mr Drenalin,

I must admit I'm buying into the idea of Calgary :)

Quick question my friend yampower will be there shortly, suppose she decides to come to Calgary (with zero contacts) to look for work and to settle . What does she do

1. Pre-landing
2. As soon as she lands

I mean from figuring out where to look for an affordable place to live... to what work networking opportunities to go to etc. I'm asking how does one start from nil in moving to Calgary. How would you start out there?

Just want to turn this image in my head to some practicality. Thanks for the resources quoted above.

Bella
1. Pre-landing condition your mind. It is a lot different from Jamaica and Eastern Canada.

2 it is always good to establish a link (you can do this through the Jamaican Chapter). Like Xfactor, I came to Calgary without knowing anyone. But guest what? through this forum thread, you're meeting people who are already in Alberta and can help you to settle. I also know some Jamaicans who wont leave you stranded. Key: Jamaicans love to go to church. Just attend one of the popular type Jamaican churches and you wont be short of help :)

AckeeSaltfish

Oct 16, 2015
Drenalin04 said:
More financial based Jobs are in the Greater Toronto Area so if finance is your background then it will be easier for you there. However, Heavy industries do need financial persons as well, so there is a financial sector in Calgary. Calgary like the rest of Canada is a cosmopolitan society, so the majority won't be less welcoming because you are different.
Thanks Drenalin04

I never thought of that. Yes I had a birthday a few weeks after I signed up for Express entry. Hmmm ... 395 is just stuck on me