+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Applicants from Jamaica

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
Thanks Drenalin04....keep us posted on any updates on what's happening in Alberta or just general information.

All best

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015
Tishfaith said:
Thanks Drenalin04....keep us posted on any updates on what's happening in Alberta or just general information.

All best
You're welcome Tish and Bella. Keep focus on the prize :)

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Drenalin,

Big ups for the review. Really appreciate it. In fact, after reading your post last night I applied to two jobs in Calgary. The job listing gave no indication of salary but being that I haven't landed yet I just want to get my foot in somewhere in my field. I have zero contacts in Calgary but anyweh di work deh, mi deh deh! ;D

AckeeSaltfish

Oct 16, 2015
Re: Express Entry Applicants from Jamaica- my first post

Greetings,
Been observing this forum and liking the vibe and all the helpful advice. Did the Express Entry, qualified as FSW and am just sitting in the pool with a 395 score. Kinda discouraging as you feel that they will never get to another number below 450. Did IELTS and WES and submitted my and my spouse scores. Figure since I am in Jamica that the lack of Canadian experience is working against me. So good to hear from you all

MASF

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015

AckeeSaltfish said:
Greetings,
Been observing this forum and liking the vibe and all the helpful advice. Did the Express Entry, qualified as FSW and am just sitting in the pool with a 395 score. Kinda discouraging as you feel that they will never get to another number below 450. Did IELTS and WES and submitted my and my spouse scores. Figure since I am in Jamica that the lack of Canadian experience is working against me. So good to hear from you all
What is your noc code?

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
YamPower said:
Drenalin,

Big ups for the review. Really appreciate it. In fact, after reading your post last night I applied to two jobs in Calgary. The job listing gave no indication of salary but being that I haven't landed yet I just want to get my foot in somewhere in my field. I have zero contacts in Calgary but anyweh di work deh, mi deh deh! ;D
YamPower, i thought you were moving to toronto?

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
Very nice analysis.

Please can you state the pros and cons of Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Quebec, Vancouver and Sakastan based on your experience.

I understand you like Calgary, but i would just like to weigh my options. Based on other threads and PM messages on here, I have been told they pay more in Toronto (obviously, because they spend more, it's just like London) and now i am confused.

Drenalin04 said:
1. I have lived in Niagara Falls, Toronto and Calgary and in my experience Calgary is much warmer because of the Chinook winds (You can do a mini research) that bring the warm pacific air over the mountains to Calgary and Lethbridge. Unfortunately these winds does not reach Edmonton which can be quite cold. The air in western Canada is dry and thus not as cold as the damp cramping cold winds that came off the great lakes. which can be horrible especially in the Niagara Falls area. These winds also bring heavy snow storms which impact the buffalo area across the border in New York. Take for example it snowed about three times in Calgary last winter (I was in Jamaica for the entire January 2015 so I cannot account for that month). When I came to Calgary and experienced the Chinook... one day I was talking to an elderly Jamaican (who is now retired and back in Jamaica)who I asked "how dem seh out yah colda than Ontario??" he chuckled and said "ssshhhh let them continue think suh as less a dem will come yah". He lived in Ontario for 12 years and Alberta for 35 years). He is now retired in Jamaica and is someone I could seek his permission and let you speak with him about Alberta. He and his wife are very successful business person.

2. Rent is expensive in Calgary gets cheaper as you leave Downtown, but I think all all other prices remain the same. Also please not that you earn more in Alberta compare other places in Canada (that is the main reason why people move here) so the expense will not be a huge issue in the end. Again this is my experience my friends and I who lived both in Ontario and Alberta.

3. Calgary generally is safe. the crime rates are very very low. Again from my experience North East Calgary is a bit unsafe especially around the Marlborough/Forest Lawn area. Most of the non progressive people live in this belt including some of our own. I live downtown (south west and I love it here). There are many malls and they are in all in close proximity to rail transit which is quite cheap. Also buses are accessible and reliable.

4. Yes its good to have your own ride so you can travel out and enjoy the scenic views. I doubt you will use your ride much if you live or work in downtown as it is cheaper to take transit and avoid traffic jams. Plus you dont want to waste money paying for parking in the city (it is big business here :) ).

5. All these cities are nice. Red Deer and Lethbridge are small but if you can get a job there then it will be quite rewarding. I would recommend Edmonton as a start and as you feel more comfortable you can them migrate south to Calgary (just following the pattern of most of my college colleagues). Some persons also start in Saskatchewan and then later move across the border. Saskatchewan economy is developing nicely but salaries are not that high when compared to Alberta.

6. You have to be very meticulous and peruse the job market carefully. You can start anywhere once the probability of jobs are higher in that locality.

Additional: There is more social life in Toronto, but the earning power in Calgary specifically will allow you travel a lot and still enjoy that social life. Do you fancy Vegas, LA, Seattle, Vancouver (really nice!) or even Hawaii? please note that there are some person in Toronto who earns a lot but they are not the majority. There are positives to living in both Calgary in Toronto. You just have decide based on what you really want to achieve long term. Many persons will go to Alberta.. make some money and then go back east to buy a home and settle. Wherever you go you will enjoy Canada the same... biggest bonus.. free health care (not the Jamaican type...my view).

Xfactor

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am happy to say that I am now a permanent resident of Canada. I did my landing tonight. While it took me the maximum time (6 months), it was worth the wait.

Yam Power, thanks for your words of encouragement and though I don't come around as often as I would like to, I appreciate your positivity on this forum.

To everyone else waiting, all the best and keep the faith and if anyone one of you will be in Edmonton, link up!!!

Bella5

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Xfactor said:
I am happy to say that I am now a permanent resident of Canada. I did my landing tonight. While it took me the maximum time (6 months), it was worth the wait.

Yam Power, thanks for your words of encouragement and though I don't come around as often as I would like to, I appreciate your positivity on this forum.

To everyone else waiting, all the best and keep the faith and if anyone one of you will be in Edmonton, link up!!!
Congrats and all the best with this new journey. Don't be a stranger.

Xfactor

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bella5 said:
Congrats and all the best with this new journey. Don't be a stranger.
Thanks Bella. Will pop by every now and then. All the best to you as well.

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015
ETE said:
Very nice analysis.

Please can you state the pros and cons of Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Quebec, Vancouver and Sakastan based on your experience.

I understand you like Calgary, but i would just like to weigh my options. Based on other threads and PM messages on here, I have been told they pay more in Toronto (obviously, because they spend more, it's just like London) and now i am confused.
Hello ETE

I am happy that you're interested in the best that Canada has to offer just like all of us here. Please note that initially I didn't know anything about Calgary before coming here. I was in Ontario (specifically Toronto and Niagara Area...Ottawa also in Ontario). I then thought long and hard about my future and started to do some research. At that time I would have even gone to the North pole (Yukon, Nunavut or Northwest Territories). I just wanted to earn the highest I possible can for my job level and field (Geomatics). Alberta provide approximately 40 percent of Canada's entire budget and is Canada's backbone. If you look at the oil crisis now you will realize whenever Alberta crumbles Canada does. Biggest beneficiary and non contributor is Quebec.. but heard it is very historical there (that is what my Physiotherapist says. She is from there but came to Alberta to work). The Chief Financial Officer at my company tells me not to go there as it economy is weak. He is from there as well. Maybe some Jamaicans there can share their experience for a more balanced view.

Lets look at the example of two persons I know. Lets give them pet name Susie and Tom. Susie was in Toronto for many years. She went there as a teen and was working for 20 plus years but didn't earn much. She came to Calgary looking for a change (in her early 40s) and got a job in a Call Centre as a Tech support representative and was earning 19.71 per hr. After 14 months she decided she wanted to be back close to her parents (she is an only child) she asked the company for a transfer and the company decided that her situation calls for the transfer. When they rewrote her package for the transfer to Ontario she would be earning $13.21! But why? not many Canadians in Alberta will accept 13 dollars for a job (some people do when they have two jobs and want to earn a little extra), but Ontario cities are some what densely populated with people unwilling to venture out. Therefore, due to the high numbers in the labour force companies will offer closer to the minimum wage. Simple case of demand and supply.

On the other hand Tom went to school with me. We worked together on most team projects in school. He is Canadian, but we shared good work ethics and the same Jamaican Barber. He said he will not move from Toronto as his girl friend was there. He got a mid level job in Geomatics and what he thought he was earning was good. When I came to Alberta. I told him what I was earning (other classmates told him what they were earning as well)... it wasn't hard to convince him and his girlfriend to move here. He applied for a job and got it in March of this year and is quite happy, hoping to earn enough to move back East in the next five years.

In my previous post I mentioned the pros and cons as I know them. Maybe other Jamaicans here can share there experience. Vancouver is beautiful with and an amazing life style. It is pretty expensive though. The Oil and Gas industry in BC Saskatchewan and Southern Manitoba is controlled by Alberta based companies which allows Alberta to pull the strings. Saskatchewan has jobs and a lot of resource based industries as well as agriculture. The Salary is not as high, but it is a good place to start out and then migrate to Alberta as has been the trend. Calgary and Edmonton are pretty much the same. However, I believe that if you want to start in Alberta you should try to start in Edmonton and the migrate south to Calgary which has been the trend for migrants both Internationals and Canadians (please note this only a suggestion). Edmonton has mostly local offices of larger companies, but it serves as Alberta's administrative capital. Calgary is largely oil and gas with many head offices and oil and gas service industries. Also, what I have realized in Alberta is that they are willing to re-train people so all you need is that networking opportunity. So even if you have a degree in history or literature you still stand a chance once you network and share your interest. One of the Protrend data analyst in the company I work for have a degree in Library Science (she is from Nova Scotia). This is oil and gas analysis (chemistry) she is doing on a day to day basis. She was employed and trained on the job while bouncing around between administrative roles and administrative here also includes going out and meeting with clients etc. It was the same with me too I started in Production Measurement and Instrumentation (Wells and Pipelines quality assurance). I couldn't appreciate this more because I realized that we are few and far hence the very good pay. I was later migrated to geomatics which is my area of interest. Now I mix both which gives me an advantage. So yes guys things can happen if we remain open minded. The good thing about us Jamaicans is that we have no limitations.. we are always willing to try.

The real con in Alberta is that you have to network sending out resumes alone won't do it. People are more comfortable when they know you face to face. Also many people here in Calgary don't even know much Jamaica. Don't get me wrong guys, but this is a huge plus, because sometimes as Jamaicans we are stereotyped. "my boss believed all Jamaicans smoked weed, grow locks and have lots of kids". Initially he thought I was just from Ontario but once I was going on vacation and he asked me where to and I said home.. Jamaica. It was quite hilarious. when he asked about marijuana and said he use to smoke it iway back in college in 70's. He was surprised when I told him I never smoked anything before (well except experimenting with cho cho leaf when in primary school lol...it looked like tobacco leaf so forgive me there). I had to re-educate him. I am encouraging him to go there with his family for vacation and I think he is buying into it.

Just my take on it again guys.

I hope some other Jamaicans in Canada can also share their experiences and why they chose certain localities.

Drenalin04

Oct 13, 2015
YamPower said:
Drenalin,

Big up yuh self Yampower, You have been of very good help to many persons here and other forum threads as well. Most jobs won't list salaries but that is where your negotiation skills comes in. Just always make sure that you let them know that you can work with the average for the Industry in Alberta ;D. That way you're not going over or under.

Also, at it relates to Alberta try to contact the Jamaican chapter in Alberta and give them a call. The older folks can be very helpful (jcaalberta . com). Also try indeed . ca .....for jobs.

Just a heads up when applying for jobs. Try to get a local provincial address 8) . I am not sure sure how to send private messages here. I haven't really explored the intricacies of this site that much, but when I do I will send you and other interested person my email address so we can keep the link going.

All the best with the applications.

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
Xfactor said:

To everyone else waiting, all the best and keep the faith and if anyone one of you will be in Edmonton, link up!!! e
All the best Xfactor and when you have some time swing by and tell us how Edmonton is.

Many blessings and b safe

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4

AckeeSaltfish said:
Greetings,
Hi AckeeSaltfish,

Welcome. How was your IELTS test- band 9 and above in all 4 components??

If not, maybe you could resit the exam and get those scores and you would likely see your score go above
400 and increase your probability of getting an Ontario Province Nomination or better yet a straight ITA.

All the best