+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting car from the US

rdecartus

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
This might have answered somewhere else on the forum but I ask anyway to clear some doubts.

- Regarding Vehicle recall clearance letter: I have 2008 Honda Accord that i plan to take to Canada. Should I call Honda Customer service for recall clearance letter? What should I tell them? How long does it take for them to send me the letter?

- Regarding faxing documents to customs prior to export: I understand I need to fax documents to US customs 72 hours prior to reaching at the border. What documents I need to fax? What is the fax number? If I am planning to go from San Jose CA to Vancouver BC, what is my port of exit? Is the fax number dependent on port of exit? Where can I get list of fax numbers by each port of exits?

- Regarding procedure of exporting vehicle at US customs: What should I be expecting at the border? How long does it take? Can I carry some household items in the car that I already stated on my landing papers?

- Regarding procedure of importing vehicle at Canada customs: What should I expecting in terms of procedure here? What documents do I need? What is the procedure for registering my vehicle in canada? Do I have to register it at the time of importing?

I understand that answers are scattered in different threads on the forum. I am hoping to get helpful responses in this single thread for all the above questions so that it can help other members as well.

Regards.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rdecartus said:
This might have answered somewhere else on the forum but I ask anyway to clear some doubts.

- Regarding Vehicle recall clearance letter: I have 2008 Honda Accord that i plan to take to Canada. Should I call Honda Customer service for recall clearance letter? What should I tell them? How long does it take for them to send me the letter?

- Regarding faxing documents to customs prior to export: I understand I need to fax documents to US customs 72 hours prior to reaching at the border. What documents I need to fax? What is the fax number? If I am planning to go from San Jose CA to Vancouver BC, what is my port of exit? Is the fax number dependent on port of exit? Where can I get list of fax numbers by each port of exits?

- Regarding procedure of exporting vehicle at US customs: What should I be expecting at the border? How long does it take? Can I carry some household items in the car that I already stated on my landing papers?

- Regarding procedure of importing vehicle at Canada customs: What should I expecting in terms of procedure here? What documents do I need? What is the procedure for registering my vehicle in canada? Do I have to register it at the time of importing?

I understand that answers are scattered in different threads on the forum. I am hoping to get helpful responses in this single thread for all the above questions so that it can help other members as well.

Regards.
1. http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx
2/ http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml
3. Note the customs clearance for the car is not usually the border office. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/wa/3004.xml

Name: Vehicle Export Office**
Phone: 360-332-2632
Operational Hours: 8:00 AM-3:30 PM(Pacific)
Weekdays (Monday-Friday)

4. www.riv.ca