+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a car to canada from USA

frazman007

Jan 25, 2018
Hi,
So, I am in a unique situation with regards to my car.
I drove from US to Canada few months ago without exporting the car as I didnt knew that I have to do that.
After entering Canada, I went to Canada tire and they did all the tests after which I went to get ontario number plate after which they exchanged my US title with a canadian one. I also got my Ontario driving license.

Recently, I came to know about exporting the car from US as well.

I have my US license plates with me. So can I drive back to US and export the car? But just that I don't have the US title anymore? How do I rectify my situation?
Or is it that, now I don't have to do anything?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi,
So, I am in a unique situation with regards to my car.
I drove from US to Canada few months ago without exporting the car as I didnt knew that I have to do that.
After entering Canada, I went to Canada tire and they did all the tests after which I went to get ontario number plate after which they exchanged my US title with a canadian one. I also got my Ontario driving license.

Recently, I came to know about exporting the car from US as well.

I have my US license plates with me. So can I drive back to US and export the car? But just that I don't have the US title anymore? How do I rectify my situation?
Or is it that, now I don't have to do anything?
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
You are done. Have a great life in Canada! It happened with me 20 years ago, but in opposite direction - I drove to US from Canada on TN visa, after a few months in US got my Ohio DL and register/plated my Canadian car in USA. No questions asked.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Just make sure that you notify the state you car has been registered that you moved out. If the state collects property taxes for car, then they may continue to charge with property taxes even after your registration expiry unless you explicitly cancel the registration by informing dmv.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Just make sure that you notify the state you car has been registered that you moved out. If the state collects property taxes for car, then they may continue to charge with property taxes even after your registration expiry unless you explicitly cancel the registration by informing dmv.
Good point. You might need to return your US number plate to your US state where car was registered.