+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Export/Import Vehicle (Still under finance)

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law 01-04-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
08-04-2015 (10-01-2015: PR In Process)
File Transfer...
Fingerprint Background Check (Canada) 02-18-2016
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Here is the situation:

I have my CoPR and ready to go back to the states and move everything into Canada. My car is one of those things I would love to bring with me, but here is the deal, the US Border Patrol has stated I will not be able to export my vehicle because I do not own the title to the car.

But here is the interesting part. I contacted the finance company and they sent me a Permission letter and a copy of the title for the car, (not in my name of course). But they say I will still not be able to export my car.

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

Baffled

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
You mention you contacted "US Border Patrol" not US Customs and Border Protection - the patrol division is more concerned with security, be sure to talk to customs as this will be an export. In the event that you actually talked to customs, was it through their general customer service line or did you call the specific border point you intend to use? If it was through the general line, I'd suggest you try getting in touch with the specific border point (may be more than one even) - contacts for each border point are on the site.

Otherwise, I've read a few posts on the forum where individuals were required to provide the "permission letter", and they were allowed to export their vehicles into Canada. This is further confirmed by information on the US Custom's site: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle (see section 2 for US titled vehicles).

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Baffled said:
Here is the situation:

I have my CoPR and ready to go back to the states and move everything into Canada. My car is one of those things I would love to bring with me, but here is the deal, the US Border Patrol has stated I will not be able to export my vehicle because I do not own the title to the car.

But here is the interesting part. I contacted the finance company and they sent me a Permission letter and a copy of the title for the car, (not in my name of course). But they say I will still not be able to export my car.

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

Baffled
If your finance company has issued you a letter stating they will allow you to export the vehicle then you need to follow the directions on HOW to export your vehicle from the US and then import it to Canada. Be sure that your finance company is aware that this is a permanent move. Most of them do not like to release the vehicle to do that because they don't really have any recourse should you decide to not pay for the car any longer ...

Start here to find out about exporting the car and then read here about importing it to Canada.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
next2015 said:
You mention you contacted "US Border Patrol" not US Customs and Border Protection - the patrol division is more concerned with security, be sure to talk to customs as this will be an export. In the event that you actually talked to customs, was it through their general customer service line or did you call the specific border point you intend to use? If it was through the general line, I'd suggest you try getting in touch with the specific border point (may be more than one even) - contacts for each border point are on the site.

Otherwise, I've read a few posts on the forum where individuals were required to provide the "permission letter", and they were allowed to export their vehicles into Canada. This is further confirmed by information on the US Custom's site: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle (see section 2 for US titled vehicles).
Yes, I contacted US Border Patrol and not US Customs and Border Protection. I read your reply earlier and called US Customs and Border Protection. They were closed but their automated information gave me the information I needed. Basically saying, "If you have a lien holder on the vehicle you will need a letter giving you permission to export the vehicle to another country." Which my lien holder has sent to me.

Thank you very much for that link. That is something I can reference if there is an issue with the border patrol. Now to find out about this certified title stuff and see if I can get one of those. Also I will confirm that the permission letter does include my VIN number and full vehicle information.

This vehicle stuff is just as complicated, if not more complicated, than immigration stuff :D.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Alurra71 said:
If your finance company has issued you a letter stating they will allow you to export the vehicle then you need to follow the directions on HOW to export your vehicle from the US and then import it to Canada. Be sure that your finance company is aware that this is a permanent move. Most of them do not like to release the vehicle to do that because they don't really have any recourse should you decide to not pay for the car any longer ...

Start here to find out about exporting the car and then read here about importing it to Canada.
Thank you for the additional information.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.

Above, in bold letters:

...provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title...
Does this come from the lien holder? And I am assuming since they say "or" I can just use a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title?

...two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original...
So do I need two copies of the original or two copies of the Certified Copy of the original?

In other words, will two copies of the Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title be enough or will I need one Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two copies of the original Certificate of Title?

o_O I think I am over thinking this, but I rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my landing. Thank you so much in advanced.

Baffled

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Baffled said:
Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.

Above, in bold letters:

...provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title...
Does this come from the lien holder? And I am assuming since they say "or" I can just use a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title?

...two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original...
So do I need two copies of the original or two copies of the Certified Copy of the original?

In other words, will two copies of the Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title be enough or will I need one Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two copies of the original Certificate of Title?

o_O I think I am over thinking this, but I rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my landing. Thank you so much in advanced.

Baffled
First off, you'll need to give the US 72 hours notice BEFORE you're ready to export the car. Don't show up at 71.5 hours, they get testy with that asking if you know how to tell time and such and Do NOT tell them it's already in Canada as its pretty clear they want it on US soil before exporting. If you are crossing into the US with the car, I would think the border guards should be ok. They didn't give me a hassle and I was clear with them that I was driving my car back across the border into the US to officially export it after bringing it out of winter storage at my home in Canada.

If what you have is the Certificate of Title, usually has a lovely border of blue or green to it, then you only need the one. If they want a copy they will make it. Don't make your own photocopy. They will get quite angry about this and advise you all about how illegal it is to photocopy these things. The officer that did mine about had a coronary when I gave him photocopies. LOL

Once you've got that lovely little stamp on the title, you must must MUST immediately turn around and come back to Canada. No going for a bit of shopping or other stuff. The vehicle is no longer a 'citizen' of the US ;)
The Canada side of it is relatively simple. The guards will land you and then give you form 1, which you'll need to send to RIV for form 2 which you'll take to a local shop to have filled out and your car inspected then you'll get a lovely little door sill sticker from RIV in a few weeks, if your car passes, and you're done. Your car is now Canadian.

A few things you might want to consider to make it an easier transition:

1. Go online and see if you can print out an official recall letter. You WILL need this for the RIV to prove you're car has no recalls on it, or if it does that they've been dealt with.

2. Contact your current US insurance agency. Ask them for a letter of coverage. These usually detail how long you've been with the company, if you've had any claims or if you've had any lapses in your insurance due to non payment.

3. Contact your US DMV, if you don't already have a Canadian DL, and get a drivers license history. Go back as far as you can, which will help you to straight swap your DL for a Canadian one.

4. Once you're ready to rock and roll be sure to get your car some plates in your province. If you are headed to Ontario be aware of their strange rules:

4a. You can not insure your car without it first being registered.

4b. They will not register your car without if first being insured. What the what? Yeah, I said the same damned thing ;)

4c. Go to Service Ontario FIRST. Advise them you need a temporary registration (you get no plates at this time) to get an insurance police for your car. Once you've got that, then contact your chosen insurer for required insurance. Have them email/fax a copy of your now registered vehicle. Return to Service Ontario with this letter/fax and they will now issue you a license plate/sticker. Gratz, your car is now legal beagle in Ontario.

Reactions: northern sunshine

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
The lien holder is only able to send me a copy of the title not a certified copy of the title :p. This will not be enough will it? Also, they told me I will be able to export the car into Canada perma but not register it until the loan is paid off on the car. ugh...guess I wont be able to export it.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
Here is a thought I would like to run by some of you:

Will immigration officer at the border allow me to drive the car into Canada and fit under the 6 month rule for BC if I don't expect to export/import my vehicle until a much later date? Something to the effect as a B4 form to bringing things in later?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Baffled said:

Will immigration officer at the border allow me to drive the car into Canada and fit under the 6 month rule for BC if I don't expect to export/import my vehicle until a much later date? Something to the effect as a B4 form to bringing things in later?
I can't answer that for you as I am not familiar with the rules for BC, however, I think another road block is going to be finding an insurer that will keep you insured cross border if you're not just 'visiting' in Canada. Best of luck to you though, no matter how you get it worked out!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Baffled said:

yes, you can drive a us registered car into canada before you plan to import it, and you can even if you don't plan to import it. if you are landing, then it goes on your B4 "goods to follow" form as a conveyance. this will cover you for duty exemptions when you are ready to import it. CBSA really doesn't care about car registrations when you go through the border, assuming it's not part of illegal activity (at least in my experience). if anything is asked at all about your car it will be "who owns the car". As Alurra mentioned, the issue you'll run into is related to insurance. Most US insurance companies won't cover long term in Canada, and you can't get insured in canada until the car is registered, which means it has to be imported first.

Caribou

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you declare the car when you landed?

My spouse's car still had loans from Capital One, and we imported it in January.

Search the post and read my experience. Because my spouse's car was registered in California, and when lien holder is in place, they DO NOT release title.
You actually do NOT need copy of title to import nor register vehicle in Canada.

You need to have registration for the car (from whatever your state), letter (usually notarized) from lien holder to authorize import to Canada (usually you have to give the date of import), recall clearance letter, and number for exporting vehicle(I forgot what they are called already LOL), then send ALL documents to the US border 72 hrs *business days* before importing it.

We got stamps from US border on the letter and registration and used that to register the car in Canada. (At insurance agency, they took the letter of authorization to export from lien holder IN lieu of title)

We never missed car payments for >1 yr, and capital one asked us to do automatic monthly payment from US bank, and had no problem getting the letter by email.

Our letter said it authorized export, and US border office and CBSA all KNEW that the letter is replacing the title.

Crucial info: gather documents and contact US customs border at least 72 hrs before. NO Exceptions. Make sure you declare your car on B4 form, and keep your import receipt at CBSA. The letter has to bear your name. It has to be YOUR car to get it import, which is only verified by name on registration and on the letter from finance company.

Most US insurance companies cover travel to Canada, and since you only have 1 mo to get your car registered in Canada anyway, as long as you got US coverage, I wouldn't sweat too much. I even asked ICBC for temporary insurance, and they said it's only for people who buy a new car in US and import it. you cannot also sell your car for 1 yr after importing it.

Rest is easy.

Reactions: northern sunshine

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
I wish I read your post before I went out and asked for assistance from my parents, which I hate to do. Though it all worked out, my parents are the "lien holders" in other words I am paying them back instead of the actual lien holder.

So in short I own the title of the car now. But that isn't the issue now lol.

AESDirect is confusing and filling it out is making my head hurt. I have figured majority of it out after much research, but stuck on some things dealing with Commodity:

Schedule B?

Origin of Goods?
Domestic?

Licensing Exempt Code?

Value?
The price at which time I bought the car or its worth now found on the Kelly Blue Book?

And I am assuming its HV for personal vehicle?

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Baffled said:
I wish I read your post before I went out and asked for assistance from my parents, which I hate to do. Though it all worked out, my parents are the "lien holders" in other words I am paying them back instead of the actual lien holder.

So in short I own the title of the car now. But that isn't the issue now lol.

AESDirect is confusing and filling it out is making my head hurt. I have figured majority of it out after much research, but stuck on some things dealing with Commodity:

Schedule B?

Origin of Goods?
Domestic?

Licensing Exempt Code?

Value?
The price at which time I bought the car or its worth now found on the Kelly Blue Book?

And I am assuming its HV for personal vehicle?
Hi
I think you'll find this thread extremely helpful: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/export-import-of-vehicle-aes-queenstonlewiston-t278119.0.html
It details the process and related technicalities, and advises the easiest way to navigate through it all.