+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Export + Import of Vehicle (AES, Queenston-Lewiston)

May 25, 2015
Hello Jay,

Thank you for reporting your crossing border experience. I plan to do the same next month. I tried to looking for map of Queenston-Lewiston border on this forum, but I couldn't find it. Do you still have the link to access the map of Queenston-Lewiston border?

Also, what person or agency did you use to upload vehicle information into AES Direct to generate an ITN? How many days did it take to generate an ITN?

Also, where online did you find out that you don't have to pay taxes/duty on your car because you are more than 5 years away from Canada? Do you have the link?

Thank you for your help to better plan the experience. Thank you :)

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
coolmanfever84 said:
Hello Jay,

Thank you for reporting your crossing border experience. I plan to do the same next month. I tried to looking for map of Queenston-Lewiston border on this forum, but I couldn't find it. Do you still have the link to access the map of Queenston-Lewiston border?

Also, what person or agency did you use to upload vehicle information into AES Direct to generate an ITN? How many days did it take to generate an ITN?

Also, where online did you find out that you don't have to pay taxes/duty on your car because you are more than 5 years away from Canada? Do you have the link?

Thank you for your help to better plan the experience. Thank you :)
Links to export office "map": http://www.car4sale.ca/images/US_customs_instructions.jpg - HINT: DO NOT PARK AT THE END OF THE GREEN LINE WHERE THE TRUCKERS PARK. Just park out front of the building...then follow the orange arrow across incoming traffic to Canada.

I used aa-auto.com. It was $65. I've seen cheaper, but they really gave me good service.

I think I got the ITN within two HOURS. They were uploading a batch the day I sent the info. Plan on a few days though to be safe. This isn't something you want to push in terms of timing.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

"Ownership, possession and use requirements

To import goods duty- and tax-free, Settlers must have owned, possessed and used the goods prior to their arrival in Canada and Former Residents must have owned, possessed and used the goods for at least six months before returning to resume residence.

It is important that you meet these three requirements. For example, if you owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods will be subject to duty and taxes. Please note that leased goods are subject to duty and taxes because the CBSA does not consider that you own them. If you have bills of sale and registration documents, they can help you prove that you meet these requirements.

Even if your goods meet the ownership, possession and use requirements, they must still meet other government department requirements. For information on other restrictions and/or requirements for goods being imported into Canada, see the section called “Restrictions”.
Return to Top of Page
Exceptions to ownership, possession and use requirements

If you are a former resident, the six-month stipulation will be waived if you have been absent from Canada for five years or more. Therefore, you only need to have owned, possessed and used your personal and household effects (for a period of time) before you return."

(I took "period of time to be anything over 60 seconds. lol)

I don't know if that applies to EVERYTHING though. All I know is my vehicle was worth just over $10,000CAD, and I didn't pay any duty or taxes on it.

ALSO NOT: I don't know what that particular CBSA page has been archived. Maybe don't mention that if you need to use the page as evidence or something.

Best of luck to you.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
ALSO - LOTS of construction on the roads leading to the U.S. border at Lewiston, NY right now (Late May, 2015). Please be careful (on the U.S. side). I had someone SLAM on the brakes right in front of me this weekend because they didn't know what they were doing. While it would certainly lower the value of your car (if you had to pay duty and taxes on it) I doubt anyone wants to lower their car's value in that manner.

The cones at the last U.S. exit (I think it's Upper Mountain Rd.?) are placed a little far apart and the person in front of me wasn't sure where to go. I could see him slaloming (Is that even a word?) the cones in my rear-view mirror trying to follow me to the border.

May 25, 2015
Thanks for the info.

When do you think it's the best time to cross the border to export from US and import to Canada without much hassle? Should I try to cross the border during rush hour so the agents won't pay too much attention to the goods and car I am bring along?

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
coolmanfever84 said:
Thanks for the info. When do you think it's the best time to cross the border to export and import my car without much hassle? Should I try to cross the border during rush hour so the agents won't pay too much attention to the goods and car I am bring along?
CBP export office is not open 24x7 like CBSA is. Check the CBP export office hours online.

If you're asking me when the best time is to conveniently forget to declare goods at the border, I'm sorry - I'm not about that. You're on your own.

May 25, 2015
JayPinNC said:
CBP export office is not open 24x7 like CBSA is. Check the CBP export office hours online.

If you're asking me when the best time is to conveniently forget to declare goods at the border, I'm sorry - I'm not about that. You're on your own.
Thank you once again. I just want to make sure to cross the border as smooth as possible since it's my first time.

I am bring mostly personal clothing items back to Canada. Do I have to list every clothing items with value on B4 form? Can I just write down clothing item in one line on B4 form?

Also, how did you prove that you are residents of more than 5 years in US? Did you bring any proof of residency like US mailing address? I plan to bring my school diploma and proof of employment and proof of US tax return. Do you think it's sufficient enough?

Thanks again for answering my questions. I am just abit paranoid about the process.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
coolmanfever84 said:
Thank you once again. I just want to make sure to cross the border as smooth as possible since it's my first time.

I am bring mostly personal clothing items back to Canada. Do I have to list every clothing items with value on B4 form? Can I just write down clothing item in one line on B4 form?

Also, how did you prove that you are residents of more than 5 years in US? Did you bring any proof of residency like US mailing address? I plan to bring my school diploma and proof of employment and proof of US tax return. Do you think it's sufficient enough?

Thanks again for answering my questions. I am just abit paranoid about the process.
I listed clothing in groups+value (mine + family members) and then an overall value of all the clothing. I made my own spreadsheets to submit to CBSA. They stamped them as I passed through. If you haven't heard, they were the best the CBSA officer I dealt with had ever seen. Ever.

If you were a legal resident of the U.S. for that long, I suggest your green card as proof of residency. You should have one or two lying around somewhere. Property tax records would help, too. You could also get your IRS filing history/abstract (they have a specific name for it that eludes me)...you can get/print that online very easily and I think you can go back over 5 years.

(Side note, I also suggest renouncing your green card after you move back to Canada or else you'll face the prospect of citizenship based taxation (CBT) by the U.S. and will be required to file a U.S. tax return each year for the rest of your life. Even if you aren't a U.S. citizen, as a green card holder you may have IRS tax obligations in Canada because your government in Canada sold you out with the FATCA IGA). Sorry - off topic but still relevant.

May 25, 2015
JayPinNC said:
I listed clothing in groups+value (mine + family members) and then an overall value of all the clothing. I made my own spreadsheets to submit to CBSA. They stamped them as I passed through. If you haven't heard, they were the best the CBSA officer I dealt with had ever seen. Ever.

If you were a legal resident of the U.S. for that long, I suggest your green card as proof of residency. You should have one or two lying around somewhere. Property tax records would help, too. You could also get your IRS filing history/abstract (they have a specific name for it that eludes me)...you can get/print that online very easily and I think you can go back over 5 years.

(Side note, I also suggest renouncing your green card after you move back to Canada or else you'll face the prospect of citizenship based taxation (CBT) by the U.S. and will be required to file a U.S. tax return each year for the rest of your life. Even if you aren't a U.S. citizen, as a green card holder you may have IRS tax obligations in Canada because your government in Canada sold you out with the FATCA IGA). Sorry - off topic but still relevant.

Hello Jay. Thank you for the reply. I didn't get my green card in USA. I started living in USA under F1 student visa for 5 years because I was studying in American school. Right after graduation, I continued to live and worked in US for 2 years under TN Visa. So I guess the best proof I can provide is my F1 student and TN working visa stamps on my passport. Do you think it should be good enough?

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
If you worked, you filed taxes. Use IRS return abstracts for those two years. Passport stamps would likely help, but I'd gather a bit more proof - bank statements, rental agreements, etc.

I'm sorry if you mentioned it before, but are you a Canadian citizen?

Also - living in the U.S. for that long can still 'taint' you as a U.S. person...which is almost the same as being a U.S. citizen for tax purposes. Be careful out there.

May 25, 2015
JayPinNC said:
If you worked, you filed taxes. Use IRS return abstracts for those two years. Passport stamps would likely help, but I'd gather a bit more proof - bank statements, rental agreements, etc.

I'm sorry if you mentioned it before, but are you a Canadian citizen?

Also - living in the U.S. for that long can still 'taint' you as a U.S. person...which is almost the same as being a U.S. citizen for tax purposes. Be careful out there.
yes. I am a Canadian citizen. I have been filing tax with IRS as US resident for the past two years, so I should be clear with IRS. I consulted with my accountant about this issue. thank about the tip of using bank statement and rental agreement to prove my residency.

Grace1978

Jun 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 29-th, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Jan 9-th, 2015
File Transfer...
Feb 26-th, 2015
Med's Request
March 2-nd, 2015
Med's Done....
Recvd March 24-th, DM May 12-th, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR May 27-th
Hello,

I just got Confirmation of my PR & will be doing my landing soon. I am planning to take my vehicle from US to Canada. I've read that you need to be owner of the vehicle for minimum 1 year to be exempt from paying taxes on the vehicle which you are bringing in.

Minimum 1 year ownership means 1 year from the purchase date?

or

that is 1 year from the date when you paid off the loan for the vehicle? (I understand that vehicle need to be paid off & you should have a title)

Please advise if somebody knows, that is confusing me Roll Eyes

Thank You, ::)

Grace

May 25, 2015
it's min 1 year from the purchase date. hopefully this helps.

Hey Jay,
Any chance you will post inspection, licenses, registration and insurance process? Thank you.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Grace1978 said:
Hello,

I just got Confirmation of my PR & will be doing my landing soon. I am planning to take my vehicle from US to Canada. I've read that you need to be owner of the vehicle for minimum 1 year to be exempt from paying taxes on the vehicle which you are bringing in.

Minimum 1 year ownership means 1 year from the purchase date?

or

that is 1 year from the date when you paid off the loan for the vehicle? (I understand that vehicle need to be paid off & you should have a title)

Please advise if somebody knows, that is confusing me Roll Eyes

Thank You, ::)

Grace
It depends. I owned my car for 4 weeks - no tax or duty.

"Ownership, possession and use requirements

To import goods duty- and tax-free, Settlers must have owned, possessed and used the goods prior to their arrival in Canada and Former Residents must have owned, possessed and used the goods for at least six months before returning to resume residence.

It is important that you meet these three requirements. For example, if you owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods will be subject to duty and taxes. Please note that leased goods are subject to duty and taxes because the CBSA does not consider that you own them. If you have bills of sale and registration documents, they can help you prove that you meet these requirements.

Even if your goods meet the ownership, possession and use requirements, they must still meet other government department requirements. For information on other restrictions and/or requirements for goods being imported into Canada, see the section called “Restrictions”.
Return to Top of Page
Exceptions to ownership, possession and use requirements

If you are a former resident, the six-month stipulation will be waived if you have been absent from Canada for five years or more. Therefore, you only need to have owned, possessed and used your personal and household effects (for a period of time) before you return.
"

Source: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html#s4x5

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
"To import goods duty- and tax-free, Settlers must have owned, possessed and used the goods prior to their arrival in Canada and Former Residents must have owned, possessed and used the goods for at least six months before returning to resume residence."

Sorry - I hit POST too soon. Read the statement above - I can't find anything on an UNarchived page so YMMV.

If you are settler there is no minimum. You must have simply "owned, possessed and used the goods" - former residents must have owned, possessed and used the goods for 6 months - UNLESS they've been gone 5 years or longer (like me).