+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Purchased vehicle in US after landing

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Can someone give me their thoughts on the following scenario as to whether or not duty and taxes will need to be paid:

Resident of the United States my entire life.
Landed in Canada February of 2007, Stayed 3 days.
Purchased a vehicle in the United States in June 2007 (paid sales tax and registered vehicle in the United States, obviously vehicle not included on B4 during Feb. landing).
Moved to Canada in October 2007, Obtained first Canadian driver's liscence.
Would like to return to the states and bring the car to Canada in March 2008. Car is still registered in the United States.

Since the car was acquired while a resident in the United States and I was a resident of the US for 5 or more years, can the car qualify as goods of a "former resident" and thus be exempted from duty and taxes? Seems like a stretch, but it would suck to have to pay sales tax twice on the same vehicle.......

Thanks!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Your probably right, but it seems like actual residence should control tax, rather than the legal status of "permanent resident." For example, from Feb 07 to Oct 07, I was considerded a non-resident of Canada for income tax purposes right?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
The problem is you're not talking about tax with respect to residence. You're talking about a one-time waiver of import tax that is granted at the time you land as an immigrant. Once that takes place, any further imports of goods are taxed.