+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired study permit & awaiting for PGWP & Job offer

april0202

Aug 3, 2020
Hi, I'm in a very tedious situation right now -
I just graduated from university in June 2022. And my study permit ended on 31st July. I have been looking for a full-time job since June, and I just got one offer this morning. I remembered the policy incorrectly: I always thought that I'm eligible to work as long as I apply for the PGWP within the 180 days of graduation, under applied status. However, I didn't factor in the condition that it will only work while I still hold a VALID study permit.
I'm now just realizing that with an expired study permit, I have to wait until the PGWP is approved to start working legally. I am going to apply for a restoration of status AND PGWP right now today, but now is already past the expiration date of my study permit, which means I will not be allowed to work until it's approved.
I really really like this job and I made a huge mistake on not figuring this out ... now my only hope is to talk to the HR and make 2 options, to let me work holding the salary until my PGWP is approved, OR to hold/extend the start-date the offer until my PGWP is approved. I just feel like the chance is grim...
Please if anyone can offer any help, including how to tell this to the HR, it would be much appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I'm in a very tedious situation right now -
I just graduated from university in June 2022. And my study permit ended on 31st July. I have been looking for a full-time job since June, and I just got one offer this morning. I remembered the policy incorrectly: I always thought that I'm eligible to work as long as I apply for the PGWP within the 180 days of graduation, under applied status. However, I didn't factor in the condition that it will only work while I still hold a VALID study permit.
I'm now just realizing that with an expired study permit, I have to wait until the PGWP is approved to start working legally. I am going to apply for a restoration of status AND PGWP right now today, but now is already past the expiration date of my study permit, which means I will not be allowed to work until it's approved.
I really really like this job and I made a huge mistake on not figuring this out ... now my only hope is to talk to the HR and make 2 options, to let me work holding the salary until my PGWP is approved, OR to hold/extend the start-date the offer until my PGWP is approved. I just feel like the chance is grim...
Please if anyone can offer any help, including how to tell this to the HR, it would be much appreciated.
Your option is 2. You can’t work until your PGWP is approved while on implied status (actually right now you have no status). You cannot work illegally without restoring your status and while waiting for PGWP approval. A company would be involved in illegal activity if letting you work and paying you later. Hope you haven’t been working since 31 July. If not quit any jobs.