+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PRTD

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Hello,
I have stuck up with very very unusual situation. Myself and my wife are landed PR in 2013. We could not met residency obligation and applied for PRTD. We have been granted R1 PRTD for 6 months validity for me and 12 months PRTD for my wife. We had planned and booked tickets but due to this Covid 19 our flight was cancelled. My country was under lockdown condition. And we had planned to travel with our small kids (3 years and 5 years old) and my father. But we couldn't travel. I have mailed to IRCC about my condition. Meanwhile my PRTD has expired. My wife's PRTD is live. Situation is still horrible due to Covid 19. And is it advisable to travel with small kids and senior citizen as they are at highest risk? And r there any chance to get my PRTD renewed?

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Hello,
I have stuck up with very very unusual situation. Myself and my wife are landed PR in 2013. We could not met residency obligation and applied for PRTD. We have been granted R1 PRTD for 6 months validity for me and 12 months PRTD for my wife. We had planned and booked tickets but due to this Covid 19 our flight was cancelled. My country was under lockdown condition. And we had planned to travel with our small kids (3 years and 5 years old) and my father. But we couldn't travel. I have mailed to IRCC about my condition. Meanwhile my PRTD has expired. My wife's PRTD is live. Situation is still horrible due to Covid 19. And is it advisable to travel with small kids and senior citizen as they are at highest risk? And r there any chance to get my PRTD renewed?
You could try..... given the current travel restrictions and international health risks you may well be ok.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume your children have TRVs. Would discourage your father traveling with you because it will appear as he is moving to Canada with you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I think there's definitely a chance IRCC will issue a new PRTD given the circumstances. How long ago did you contact IRCC? Right now it is taking a while for them to respond. In addition to waiting for them to respond, you could also consider submitting a new PRTD application with a letter included explaining the situation and asking that they issue you a new PRTD since you were unable to travel.

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
I think there's definitely a chance IRCC will issue a new PRTD given the circumstances. How long ago did you contact IRCC? Right now it is taking a while for them to respond. In addition to waiting for them to respond, you could also consider submitting a new PRTD application with a letter included explaining the situation and asking that they issue you a new PRTD since you were unable to travel.
I put mail via webform just before expiry of my PRTD and had asked for extenstion in first week of May 2020. But had no reply from them. At that time air travel was under total lockdown condition.

Last edited:

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Assume your children have TRVs. Would discourage your father traveling with you because it will appear as he is moving to Canada with you.
Ya...they are on TRVs as there is no provision of filing PR from outside Canada. We will be applying as soon as we land there. And my father is having multiple entry TRV as well as multiple entry Visitor visa for US also. He has no plans to settle in Canada.

arunbaweja

Aug 13, 2020
Hello,
Hi there, really sorry to see the situation you are in, I hope you get your PRTD extension soon.
I am also in a difficult situation.

me & my wife got our PR under skilled worker immigration category (Dentist) & were there in Canada from February 2012 to October 2014, my wife was the primary applicant & our PR card expired in April 2017. Our son was born in Canada in July 2012, & he holds his Canadian citizenship.

Actually we had to come back to India as my mother in law was not doing well & my wife already lost her father years ago, so being elder sister (sibling-younger sister) she had to watch on some financial and other social responsibilities. Unfortunately she passed away on July 1st 2019.

We were actually looking to move back to Canada, but we haven't visited Canada since October 2014. Actually looking at the current situation I haven't completed my residence obligation, should I apply for PRTD myself or it is better to take legal help. As legal help is quite expensive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there, really sorry to see the situation you are in, I hope you get your PRTD extension soon.
I am also in a difficult situation.

me & my wife got our PR under skilled worker immigration category (Dentist) & were there in Canada from February 2012 to October 2014, my wife was the primary applicant & our PR card expired in April 2017. Our son was born in Canada in July 2012, & he holds his Canadian citizenship.

Actually we had to come back to India as my mother in law was not doing well & my wife already lost her father years ago, so being elder sister (sibling-younger sister) she had to watch on some financial and other social responsibilities. Unfortunately she passed away on July 1st 2019.

We were actually looking to move back to Canada, but we haven't visited Canada since October 2014. Actually looking at the current situation I haven't completed my residence obligation, should I apply for PRTD myself or it is better to take legal help. As legal help is quite expensive.
Your options are PRTD based on H&C or trying to enter via the US land border if you have a US visa. There are no guarantees that you won’t be reported for not meeting your RO. Although culturally your wife may have been expected to care for her mother you actually need to show there were no other family members in the area that could care for her and that’s why you needed to care for her. You also should provide medical records showing she was too sick to care for herself. The other issue is that it has been over a year since she passed and you didn’t try to return as soon as possible. You should certainly try to return to Canada but there are no guarantees.

arunbaweja

Aug 13, 2020
Your options are PRTD based on H&C or trying to enter via the US land border if you have a US visa. There are no guarantees that you won’t be reported for not meeting your RO. Although culturally your wife may have been expected to care for her mother you actually need to show there were no other family members in the area that could care for her and that’s why you needed to care for her. You also should provide medical records showing she was too sick to care for herself. The other issue is that it has been over a year since she passed and you didn’t try to return as soon as possible. You should certainly try to return to Canada but there are no guarantees.
Thank you so much for the suggestion.
Yeah actually I have all the medical records of her mother when she was not well to when she was hospitalized. We didn't apply last year as in we had to perform other duties after her demise, yeah things are pretty messed up.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for the suggestion.
Yeah actually I have all the medical records of her mother when she was not well to when she was hospitalized. We didn't apply last year as in we had to perform other duties after her demise, yeah things are pretty messed up.
You’ll need to show records from 2014 on because that is when you returned.

arunbaweja

Aug 13, 2020
Yes I came back in October 2014, I have records available from December 2014. Do you think it would be better applying on our or taking any help from legal advisor

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I came back in October 2014, I have records available from December 2014. Do you think it would be better applying on our or taking any help from legal advisor
Hard for me to comment. Really depends on your ability to fill out the applications and your financial circumstances.

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Hello,

Myself and my wife are landed PRs. We are currently in India. As PR cards expired in 2018, we have been issued PRTD (R1 category) even though we applied on H&C basis.

We were about to move to Canada on 28th April 2020 but due to this Covid 19 Pandemic and world wide lockdown, our flight was cancelled. Meanwhile, my husband’s PRTD got expired. During this Covid-19 pandemic, uprooting ourselves to settle over there and to travel with 2 small kids (2 years & 5 years old) as well as a senior citizen (70 years) at life risk seems difficult.

As the second wave has already started in Canada, the prevailing situation is not yet safe. And many flights carry asymptomatic Covid-19 positive passengers. It is difficult to maintain advisories declared by the World Health Organizations & Health Ministry in order to prevent transmission of Covid-19 during air travel with kids & senior citizens as they are at higher risk.

We waited enough expecting the stabilization of the Covid-19 situation and free movement with starting of all international flights as we have to travel with kids and senior citizen.

Considering the above facts is it advisable to postpone our travelling till safe period? It will led to expiry of my wife's travel document (5th November2020). Otherwise she will have to fly to Canada before 5th November 2020 with the life risk of my family.

Please provide appropriate guidance in this tough situation. So we can save our PR Status.

Thanks