+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR_deactivated SIN_US citizen_Minor child_free attendance public school

Nov 13, 2017

DESPERATELY NEED HELP TO ENROLL MY US citizen daughter in highschool with out paying international student fee.

So here is my narrative.
My father came with his whole family (wife and 3 minor children) to Canada in 1994 under the business immigration quota. I was a 15 year old. I completed to high school in Canada. I was enrolled in college here to as a freshman.

I ran away and got married in 1998. I was 19. I married a US citizen. Moved to the US in August 1998. My father send me my invitation to take my citizenship test in November 1998. I never took the text or took my oath of citizen ship. I was under a probationary US greencard and could not enter Canada) At that time we were not given PR cards. My parents and none of my siblings had a PR card. We had a "record of landing paper". I have that too.

Fast forward to 2017. I am a widow. I am a US citizen. I have 2 US born US citizen children. One who is a minor and the other is 18. My minor daughter and I have moved back to Canada to stay with my parents. I have returned after 19 years. I use to visit throughout he 19 years.

I have a 7 gap in communication with my parents from 1998-2004. I am not sure why I am saying all this. I am so lost. My daughter is unable to attend high school here without paying nearly $14,000!! I dint realize that it would be so difficult to just reactivate everything. My parents and siblings are all citizens.

I dont have my SIN number
I dont have a drivers licence ( I do have a valid Drivers license)
I do have my health card number.
I dont have a PR

I know I have to stay inside Canada for 3 years etc from this point on and out of the radar etc. (I have been reading the forums)

I NEED!!! to get my daughter to attend school and I dont have the funds to pay international student fees. PLEASE HELP me!! Is there any humanitarian grounds for her to be able to go to school while I figure all this out? I have reached out to the local school board and the said my record of landing paper is not enough. I thought that paper does not expire. PLEASE HELP ME.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

DESPERATELY NEED HELP TO ENROLL MY US citizen daughter in highschool with out paying international student fee.

So here is my narrative.
My father came with his whole family (wife and 3 minor children) to Canada in 1994 under the business immigration quota. I was a 15 year old. I completed to high school in Canada. I was enrolled in college here to as a freshman.

I ran away and got married in 1998. I was 19. I married a US citizen. Moved to the US in August 1998. My father send me my invitation to take my citizenship test in November 1998. I never took the text or took my oath of citizen ship. I was under a probationary US greencard and could not enter Canada) At that time we were not given PR cards. My parents and none of my siblings had a PR card. We had a "record of landing paper". I have that too.

Fast forward to 2017. I am a widow. I am a US citizen. I have 2 US born US citizen children. One who is a minor and the other is 18. My minor daughter and I have moved back to Canada to stay with my parents. I have returned after 19 years. I use to visit throughout he 19 years.

I have a 7 gap in communication with my parents from 1998-2004. I am not sure why I am saying all this. I am so lost. My daughter is unable to attend high school here without paying nearly $14,000!! I dint realize that it would be so difficult to just reactivate everything. My parents and siblings are all citizens.

I dont have a PR

I know I have to stay inside Canada for 3 years etc from this point on and out of the radar etc. (I have been reading the forums)

I NEED!!! to get my daughter to attend school and I dont have the funds to pay international student fees. PLEASE HELP me!! Is there any humanitarian grounds for her to be able to go to school while I figure all this out? I have reached out to the local school board and the said my record of landing paper is not enough. I thought that paper does not expire. PLEASE HELP ME.
You really should have done some research before coming to Canada. I don't quite understand how you thought it would be simple to return after 19 years, especially with a child who has no right to live in Canada.

There isn't anything anyone on here can do to help you. Your child is a visitor and therefore does not have the right to attend school for free. The only way is if the school board had been willing to make an exception and allow her to enroll without a study permit, which is technically illegal.

While you are a PR, you are not in compliance with the Residency Obligation and left so long ago, you will face serious challenges living here for the next 2 years until you can apply for a PR card. Also note that you cannot sponsor your child in that time, so she will be here as only a visitor. Depending on where you are, she may not be covered by provincial healthcare, which means you would be paying out-of-pocket for any medical expenses for several years. You will need to continue applying to extend her visitor status and it is possible that she may eventually be refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As explained above, your daughter is only a visitor in Canada and is not entitled to attend school as a domestic student. The school is following the rules correctly when they tell you she needs to pay international student fees and needs a study permit. The fact you have family here isn't relevant. All that matters is your status and your daughter's status in Canada.

There's no way for you to obtain a renewed PR card for at least two years. So that option is out. The school may be willing to allow her to attend if you can submit proof that you have applied to sponsor her for PR. However if you sponsor her for PR before you meet the residency obligation, your PR status will be revoked (and her sponsorship application refused). So that option is out as well.

If you cannot afford the international student fees then I would recommend you look into whether there's an option for her to attend a US high school program via correspondence (i.e. studying from home over the computer). Alternatively, do you have any family members or close friends she can live with in the US while she completes her high school education and you wait out the two years until you can apply to renew your PR card and sponsor her for PR as well?

The good news is that you were able able to enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet your PR residency obligation and without having your PR status revoked. This is incredibly lucky after such a long absence. Most people end up being reported if it's been that long since they've resided in Canada.

Good luck.

Reactions: movingback20152

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I assume you did get a SIN back when you were living here, but have since just lost the number?
If this is the case, you should at least be able to go to a SIN office where they can look you up and re-activate the number since it would be in dormant status now. As far as I know, SIN department doesn't routinely contact IRCC regarding PRs with long absences, as others in similar positions have re-activated SINs with no problems.

After such a long absence, you will need to re-register with your provncial healthcare. For some provinces, this means needing to go through 3-month waiting period before you're eligible for healthcare.

I know I have to stay inside Canada for 3 years etc from this point on and out of the radar etc.
You must stay in Canada for 2 years to come back into compliance with the RO. Only after this time, can you then apply to sponsor your children for PR and renew your PR card.

Unfortunately both children will probably need to pay international student fees if they want to attend school here. Although this is sometimes done at discretion of the individual school, so you can call around to all schools in your area to ask their policy for your situation.

Reactions: movingback20152
Nov 13, 2017
I assume you did get a SIN back when you were living here, but have since just lost the number?
If this is the case, you should at least be able to go to a SIN office where they can look you up and re-activate the number since it would be in dormant status now. As far as I know, SIN department doesn't routinely contact IRCC regarding PRs with long absences, as others in similar positions have re-activated SINs with no problems.

After such a long absence, you will need to re-register with your provncial healthcare. For some provinces, this means needing to go through 3-month waiting period before you're eligible for healthcare.

You must stay in Canada for 2 years to come back into compliance with the RO. Only after this time, can you then apply to sponsor your children for PR and renew your PR card.

Unfortunately both children will probably need to pay international student fees if they want to attend school here. Although this is sometimes done at discretion of the individual school, so you can call around to all schools in your area to ask their policy for your situation.
thank you for taking the time to respond. I greatly appreciate. Yes, I had a SIN and I did work in Canada as a teenager and an adult.

Nov 13, 2017

So here is my narrative.

I dont have a PR

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it.

Nov 13, 2017
As explained above, your daughter is only a visitor in Canada and is not entitled to attend school as a domestic student. The school is following the rules correctly when they tell you she needs to pay international student fees and needs a study permit. The fact you have family here isn't relevant. All that matters is your status and your daughter's status in Canada.

There's no way for you to obtain a renewed PR card for at least two years. So that option is out. The school may be willing to allow her to attend if you can submit proof that you have applied to sponsor her for PR. However if you sponsor her for PR before you meet the residency obligation, your PR status will be revoked (and her sponsorship application refused). So that option is out as well.

If you cannot afford the international student fees then I would recommend you look into whether there's an option for her to attend a US high school program via correspondence (i.e. studying from home over the computer). Alternatively, do you have any family members or close friends she can live with in the US while she completes her high school education and you wait out the two years until you can apply to renew your PR card and sponsor her for PR as well?

The good news is that you were able able to enter Canada without being reported for failing to meet your PR residency obligation and without having your PR status revoked. This is incredibly lucky after such a long absence. Most people end up being reported if it's been that long since they've resided in Canada.

Good luck.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it.