+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR !

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
People on this site are spending their own free time to help others. If you don't like the answers you're getting, go spend some money and hire a lawyer or a consultant. The more you complain about people not responding quickly enough for your liking, the less responses you'll get.
Exactly.

Heidif said:
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I submitted the application. I fulfilled the time requirement but did not have the Landing Document. I only photocopied my Permanent Resident Card. Does this encumber acceptance for me to receive the Travel Document? What is the maximum validity of the Travel Document?
If a copy of your landing document was required/requested, and you didn't include it, then yes, that may indeed hinder your PRTD application.

The one time (a long time ago) I applied for & obtained a PRTD, it was valid for 3 months.

I have no idea whether that's a standard validity, or whether that was dependent on my *particular* application (very different circumstance to yours), at that time.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
In the Document Checklist, it is stated:
Evidence of your permanent residence status in Canada, such as:
  • a Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or, if the document was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the circumstances of the loss,
  • an expired permanent resident card or, if your card was lost or stolen, a police report documenting the circumstances of the loss,
I am sorry if I upset anyone but I am really upset myself. I stayed two whole years in Canada and screwed up the moment I frequented the Coptic community there. My life was beyond me, and these people ill-treated me to the point of issuing return tickets for me to go back to Egypt. Immigration in itself is not easy. And to meet such people when one is in a state of vulnerability (unemployment, financial crisis, etc.) is a risk. Now I want to go back. I am an artist and have goals in my life than work in mundane or menial jobs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heidif said:
Hello,
I successfully obtained the Travel Document. What would be the next step?
The next step would be returning to Canada while the travel document is still valid and applying for a new PR card if you meet the 730 day requirement. The processing time for renewal PR cards is currently 186 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

In the future, also make sure you always have at least 730 days in Canada during the past 5 years.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Well, I already met the 730 days. Will they be refusing me? What do you mean? They will start recounting again?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heidif said:
Well, I already met the 730 days. Will they be refusing me? What do you mean? They will start recounting again?
They will not refuse you if you have 730 days in the past 5 years at the time you apply to renew your PR card. However, in order to keep your PR, it is not enough to meet the RO once. You have to continually meet it. After you have been a PR for 5 years or longer, you should always have spent at least 730 days in the past 5 years in Canada. Otherwise, you risk your PR status.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Thank you very much Leon.
I have been reading the overview on applying for a new Permanent Resident Card but could not submit the following:
  • Your most recent Income Tax assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency within the past two (2) years. Note: You can view (and print) your tax return, as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account.
  • Other Notices of Assessment issued by Canada Revenue Agency within the past five (5) years, or
  • transcripts from a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada verifying attendance within the past five (5) years.
What is an UCI? Is the UCI the CLIENT ID?
When they ask to explain the reason why I was absent, is it okay to say 'emotional abuse'?

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
P.S.
I entered the Canada Revenue Center (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount/) but do not think I can ever receive information. My bank accounts have all closed up. And it has been months (maybe years) since I have made my last declaration. I was in an unstable situation and more so, I am bad in mathematics and never had the opportunity nor means to submit my tax declarations to any accountant or lawyer. Cannot CIC communicate with Revenu Québec about this? I have no proofs to submit except my Landing and expired PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heidif said:
Thank you very much Leon.
I have been reading the overview on applying for a new Permanent Resident Card but could not submit the following:What is an UCI? Is the UCI the CLIENT ID?
When they ask to explain the reason why I was absent, is it okay to say 'emotional abuse'?
The UCI is the number on the back of your PR card.

As long as you meet the RO of at least 730 days, you can say the reason of absence to be anything you want but better tell the truth because when you tell the truth, you don't have to keep your stories straight.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Thank you Leon.
But what about the tax revenues? Using the rolling countdown, I am 871 days ahead from the deadline. If I travel at any future date to Canada, will the federal government calculate my stay from the moment I land, or from the moment I submit the applicaton for renewal of my PR?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heidif said:
Thank you Leon.
But what about the tax revenues? Using the rolling countdown, I am 871 days ahead from the deadline. If I travel at any future date to Canada, will the federal government calculate my stay from the moment I land, or from the moment I submit the applicaton for renewal of my PR?
I do not understand your question about tax revenues. If you have a problem with CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) or haven't filed taxes when you were supposed to, I suggest you go see an accountant once you arrive in Canada in order to set that straight.

As for the RO (residency obligation) for your PR, it is always the past 5 years that they check. Once you arrive in Canada with your travel document, they can check the past 5 years backwards from that date. Once you apply to renew your PR, they can check the past 5 years backwards from that date. Any time you enter Canada with your new PR card, they can check the past 5 years backwards from that date. Basically it is your obligation as a PR to make sure you always have at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years. Days spent more than 5 years ago do not count anymore and will have to be replaced by more time stayed in Canada.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Thank you, Leon. I'm sorry for the many questions, but I have several presently which are really nagging me:
1) If the date stamps in my passport are in Arabic, should I translate them? And if yes, could the federal government do this for me?
2) When I return to Canada, will I have the benefits and entitlements I had before the expiry of my PR, i.e. will I retain my social status as a permanent resident and receive financial aid, get hired, etc.?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heidif said:
Thank you, Leon. I'm sorry for the many questions, but I have several presently which are really nagging me:
1) If the date stamps in my passport are in Arabic, should I translate them? And if yes, could the federal government do this for me?
2) When I return to Canada, will I have the benefits and entitlements I had before the expiry of my PR, i.e. will I retain my social status as a permanent resident and receive financial aid, get hired, etc.?
1) If you are applying to renew your PR card and need to send copies of your passport, you should get the copies translated by a certified translator in order to avoid problems. You can try sending them untranslated to see what happens but you risk getting your application back telling you to get that done. You could try translating them yourself to see if that goes. It might.

2) When you return to Canada, since you meet the RO and your PR was not revoked, you keep your status and may apply for financial aid, get a job and pretty much everything else. However, it may happen that you get asked for a valid PR card to prove your status. If that happens, you just have to try to get around that.