+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card

Sam.Van

Feb 5, 2018
I am wondering if anyone has had experience travelling on an expired PR card? I have been a permanent resident for 5 years and didn’t even realize the card had to be renewed, anyway, my application for renewal is in but won’t come in time for a planned trip.

I know it says everywhere you need the card to re enter, but has anyone tried? I’m interested in anyone else’s experience.

Could I just come in on a tourist visa? My application is probably a month away from being finalized.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Its not really about whether you can enter Canada with an expired PR card which you can it is whether you plan to board a plane to come back to the country with an expired PR card which you cannot do you would need a PRTD. As a PR you cannot apply for a visit visa anyway

raulcalderon

Feb 5, 2018
Its not really about whether you can enter Canada with an expired PR card which you can it is whether you plan to board a plane to come back to the country with an expired PR card which you cannot do you would need a PRTD. As a PR you cannot apply for a visit visa anyway
You have to go to a Canadian consulate in your country to get a permission to reenter to Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I am wondering if anyone has had experience travelling on an expired PR card? I have been a permanent resident for 5 years and didn’t even realize the card had to be renewed, anyway, my application for renewal is in but won’t come in time for a planned trip.

I know it says everywhere you need the card to re enter, but has anyone tried? I’m interested in anyone else’s experience.

Could I just come in on a tourist visa? My application is probably a month away from being finalized.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
It depends.

If you're a US citizen, you don't need your PR card to travel you can just do on a US passport.

However if you aren't a US citizen, then without a valid PR card or PR Travel Document you will be unable to board any flight back to Canada. You don't qualify to apply for a tourist visa or eTA since you're a PR.

So without a PR card your only options would be:
- Travel back to Canada only via land border. CBSA can confirm your PR status on the spot with just your passport + expired PR card.
- apply for a PR Travel Document when you get to the country you're visiting, that will allow you to fly back to Canada. You'll need suitable time to arrange for this in that country. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html