+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired PR card renewal procedure outside canada

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
Hello,

I am in a wierd situation...I am a landed immigrant to Canada in 2006 originally from India. but currently me(TD visa) n my husband are in USA on TN visa and now my PR card has expired. My husbands visa renewal is approaching soon. Hence i want to know

i. is there any way to apply for PR card from USA? or I have to be in canada personally for 3 months or so, until I receive PR card.
ii. what will happen to my visa status if my PR card is expired at the time of my husbands visa renewal i.e., what visa will i be on, if i have to stay in USA?
iii. should i personally be present to submit the application or can i just mail the application?

I am really confused if somebody can answer my questions would really appreciate.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PR card application must originate from within Canada, that is you should either go to Canada to mail it or fill it out and send it to relatives/friends in Canada who will mail it in for you. Many renewals are now mailed just like new PR cards so it is possible that your new card will be mailed to your relatives/friends and they can mail it to you but it is also possible that immigration wants you to come to a local CIC office to pick up your card.

Of course you must also meet the PR residency obligation in order to get your card renewed, that is you must have spent 730 days in Canada in the past 5 year or if your husband is Canadian, you are excused as long as you live with him outside of Canada.

If your PR card expires, I don't see how it will change your visa. I suppose you are on a spouse visa tied to your husbands visa. Does it really matter if you are PR or not?

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks Leon for your reply.

Regarding mailing address, is it possible to use UPS canada address??? In that case i may not need apply for travel document. i can save one months time waiting for the same to get approved.

I just checked with UPS, they said the address would not say PO Box or anything it would be like st # and suite #......

I live in Northwest, So i am not sure whether they have any cic office in victoria.....Do you have any info???

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe they will accept a UPS address. However, your application must originate in Canada so if you do not have any friends or relatives in Canada who will mail it in for you, you must go yourself to mail it in.

A travel document should not take 4 weeks to get.

If you give a UPS address in Victoria and if they decide that they want you to pick up your card in person, they will ask you to come to the Vancouver office. According to this bulletin: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob431.asp they closed the CIC office in Victoria in June and Vancouver is now the one responsible for that area.

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
I appreciate your response Leon.

I will surely check on PRTD. Its mentioned on the website that it may take 30 days for processing PRTD.

One more quick question is that if i apply for PRTD and i have to cross the border in case if i decide to mail it personally, as soon they(canadian immigration) enter my name or info, will they not know that i don't have a permanent address in Canada and i reside in USA. Do you think i'll be asked any question regarding the address and is it ok to mention that UPS address is my friends/family address.

And thanks again for the detailed info regarding the cic office in victoria...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can mention that you do not currently live in Canada but that the address you are using is a secure mailing address. They may decide to make you pick up your card instead of mailing it then. Who knows.

Here is what immigration says about applications for PR cards and being outside Canada. This is from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf - page 13:

R56(2) states clearly that a PR card application must be made in Canada. Furthermore,
the card must be delivered in person to each applicant, pursuant to R58(3), and be
picked up within 180 days of the person receiving notification that it is ready for collection.
This enhances the integrity of the application process, allowing the local office to contact
the client to review documentation and assess residency issues in person. However, it is
recognized that the Regulations do not specify physical presence in Canada for purposes
of filing a PR card application. Applications cannot be refused solely on the basis of
evidence that the applicant was not in Canada when the application was filed. However,
applicants are expected to provide an address in Canada where they may be contacted
to provide additional information or to present themselves in person for the purposes of
reviewing either identification or eligibility for the PR card. The CPC may refer a case to a
local CIC if all or part of the application originated from outside Canada, and if there are
questions as to the client’s identity, status or residency history, or the authenticity of the
documentation. Clients must report in person to pick up their card in Canada, in
accordance with R58(3).

L7

Star Member
Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pilot Project for the Direct Distribution of Permanent Resident Cards to existing Permanent Residents

90% of PR cards will be mailed directly to the clients by Canada Bank Note ..........

check this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob412.asp