+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card need SIN Card

shahchittal

Apr 22, 2020
Vijay, I am in the same boat brother. Did you found a solution? Need to find a way out of it to make my life successful in Canada.

- Is there an option similar to ITIN in US which can allow you to open and account, do business and establish yourself??

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Vijay, I am in the same boat brother. Did you found a solution? Need to find a way out of it to make my life successful in Canada.

- Is there an option similar to ITIN in US which can allow you to open and account, do business and establish yourself??
A ITN in Canada is for Non Residents

shahchittal

Apr 22, 2020
Copingwithlife- thanks a bunch for your response. I understand. How ever since they will not give me SIN on expired PR card, but I am still a PR, can i get something else to establish myself and pay taxes in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Copingwithlife- thanks a bunch for your response. I understand. How ever since they will not give me SIN on expired PR card, but I am still a PR, can i get something else to establish myself and pay taxes in Canada?
What is you4 situation? Have you entered Canada without being reported?

shahchittal

Apr 22, 2020
I have not entered yet. I am going to be in same situation as Vijay, so I am trying to plan ahead. My PR card expired in 2015, I Did not entered to take care of aging family member. Now I can enter as situation has changed and will have to plead H&C grounds, not sure if it will work. But even If I enter, I am worried about establishing my without SIN as they will not give me SIN on expired PR. I will not be able to renew my PR for 2 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have not entered yet. I am going to be in same situation as Vijay, so I am trying to plan ahead. My PR card expired in 2015, I Did not entered to take care of aging family member. Now I can enter as situation has changed and will have to plead H&C grounds, not sure if it will work. But even If I enter, I am worried about establishing my without SIN as they will not give me SIN on expired PR. I will not be able to renew my PR for 2 years.
Did you not get SIN when you landed? Getting a health card may also be an issue. You say your PR card expired in 2015. When did you last enter Canada and how much time did you spend in Canada as a PR? You will also need to show that there was no other family members in your home country to care for your aging family member. That you were the primary caregiver, hospitalization/doctors records, etc. It seems like you may have been in your home country for 5-10 years. That is a very long time. Did you study/work while in your home country?

Without a valid PR card you can’t get a valid SIN. There is no easy solution for this issue.

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
It seems some people chose to purposely not meet Permanent Residence obligations due to a number of inexcusable reasons and are now abusing the humanitarian criteria to get back into Canada. All these years and people purposely didn't obtain SIN numbers to dodge Canadian taxes and now expect sympathy from the same government?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No. You’re a PR who has not fulfilled their Residency Obligations.
One cannot expect to just arrive into the country and the rest of the puzzle falls into place after not being in the country you chose to immigrate too, for 5-10 years
Have you even attempted to get a PRTD ?
If that’s refused , the rest of this , getting a SIN etc is a mute point

Last edited:

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Ah, in that case, you are stuck. Don't attempt to renew your PR card until you are compliant with the Residency Obligations requirements. There has been no formal review of your status by an external visa office, just a CBSA agent possibly giving you a break. The PR card renewal will trigger a fresh RO assessment, and they are likely to be far less compassionate without a PRTD to show them.
Now I have completed residency obligation. What would be appropriate proofs as I do not have work-related documents or any other utilities on my name? My Son went to school here, we registered car here.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Now I have completed residency obligation. What would be appropriate proofs as I do not have work-related documents or any other utilities on my name? My Son went to school here, we registered car here.
Possibly a Travel History Record from CBSA (listing your entries and exits), photocopy of your passport pages, credit or debit card in-person transactions (even if it's not a Canadian one, as long as it it's your name and the transactions are in Canada), car-registration documents perhaps, etc.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
hi vijay, how did you manage two years with employment? Were you working remotely for US employer?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Son’s school records are only relevant to his renewals. Credit and debit card transactions is one of your best proofs.

roodrap

Jul 28, 2016
Yes, they did not give me SIN. It will take two years to renew my PR card. what are other options I have.
I am in similar situation. I have an expired COPR and service canada didn't give me the SIN. How did it worked out for you?

meg2021

Mar 5, 2021
Hello,

I recieved my CoPR with expiry Nov 2020. Can I apply for SIN with that CoPR right now?

Thank you for any information on this!

meg2021

Mar 5, 2021
Unfortunately, https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html makes it very clear what Service Canada will accept. I see no loopholes.

Permanent residents must provide an original of one of the following:

• Permanent resident card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence issued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver’s licence). Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.
  • Record of Landing issued by IRCC before June 28, 2002.
  • Verification of Landing issued by IRCC. This document is provided when an original Record of Landing or the Confirmation of permanent residence is not available (if it has been lost, for example). This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
  • Status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC. This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
Hello,

I recieved my CoPR with expiry Nov 2020. Can I apply for SIN with that CoPR right now? You mentioned that within 1 year of PR I can use expired CoPR.
Does landing make me a PR?

Thank you for any information on this!