+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card need SIN Card

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

I got my PR in 2013 and landed in 2013. But I did not take SIN card. I was allowed to enter Canada on Humanitarian grounds (Via USA) on Last Friday. Now I am planning to apply for SIN, but I have expired PR cards. I am just worried, how to get my SIN cards. Did anyone has this experience, kindly suggest how to get SIN.

Thanks
Vijay

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I got my PR in 2013 and landed in 2013. But I did not take SIN card. I was allowed to enter Canada on Humanitarian grounds (Via USA) on Last Friday. Now I am planning to apply for SIN, but I have expired PR cards. I am just worried, how to get my SIN cards. Did anyone has this experience, kindly suggest how to get SIN.

Thanks
Vijay
I suspect that Service Canada will give you a hard time. They will only accept a COPR that is less than a year old. They may well reject the expired PR card as well. You should be applying for a new PR card as soon as you able. See what Service Canada say when you visit them.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Yes, they did not give me SIN. It will take two years to renew my PR card. what are other options I have.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, they did not give me SIN. It will take two years to renew my PR card. what are other options I have.
None, as far as I am aware. If you were granted a PRTD on H&C grounds, you may be able to apply for a PR card now.

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks @zardoz,

CBSA agent told us that he is allowing us on humanitarian grounds(my sons health scenario) but told us to come to back to meet him after 3 months on December 18th. He told us that he wants to see our Ties with Canada. If he feels that that if we have enough ties, he will not send any report to Canadian immigration for not meeting PR residency obligation.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks @zardoz,

CBSA agent told us that he is allowing us on humanitarian grounds(my sons health scenario) but told us to come to back to meet him after 3 months on December 18th. He told us that he wants to see our Ties with Canada. If he feels that that if we have enough ties, he will not send any report to Canadian immigration for not meeting PR residency obligation.
Ah, in that case, you are stuck. Don't attempt to renew your PR card until you are compliant with the Residency Obligations requirements. There has been no formal review of your status by an external visa office, just a CBSA agent possibly giving you a break. The PR card renewal will trigger a fresh RO assessment, and they are likely to be far less compassionate without a PRTD to show them.

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Unfortunately, that is the scenario you face at present. You will find it difficult to obtain legal work without a SIN card.
If no option of working, then it is all pointless, which means probably I may have to go back to my home.
I have few doubts
1. can I apply for renewal on humanitarian ground even though it has high probability of rejection
2. can I have new application with express entry

please suggest

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you were outside of Canada, you could apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds, and see where that goes. Alternately, I believe you could apply for a new PR card, but it would likely result in a residency review and revocation of your status. You could, theoretically, appeal if that happens on H&C grounds, but unless they are air tight and solid, it's a bit of a gamble. If you renounce, there is nothing stopping you from re-applying for immigration.
You really should consult with a good immigration lawyer (not a consultant) before you do anything else.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Unfortunately, https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html makes it very clear what Service Canada will accept. I see no loopholes.

Permanent residents must provide an original of one of the following:

• Permanent resident card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence issued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver’s licence). Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.
  • Record of Landing issued by IRCC before June 28, 2002.
  • Verification of Landing issued by IRCC. This document is provided when an original Record of Landing or the Confirmation of permanent residence is not available (if it has been lost, for example). This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
  • Status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC. This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.

Reactions: Buletruck

vijay_sam

Star Member
Mar 10, 2009
Unfortunately, https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html makes it very clear what Service Canada will accept. I see no loopholes.

Permanent residents must provide an original of one of the following:

• Permanent resident card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence issued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver’s licence). Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.
  • Record of Landing issued by IRCC before June 28, 2002.
  • Verification of Landing issued by IRCC. This document is provided when an original Record of Landing or the Confirmation of permanent residence is not available (if it has been lost, for example). This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
  • Status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC. This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
thanks and appreciate your concern @zardoz
Ya. I should have seen this before coming to Canada. the lawyer whom I consulted said that I will able to get SIN, if I am able to get in. I brought which is worth more than 25,000. which I may not able to sell till one more year.