+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Ontario Driver License exchange for BC License??

roverbon

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
Can I exchange my close to 10years expired Ontario driver license and a valid Hong Kong driver license? I have been driving in HK for the pass 10years, just did not renew the Ontario diver license.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I did. I got inconsistent answer from icbc . And want to see if anyone has done it before .
1. Here is what ICBC states

If you haven't been driving
If your licence expired over three years ago and you haven't been driving, you'll need to be retested before you can renew.

You will need to visit a driver licensing office to take a vision screening and road signs test and be issued a learner's licence. There is no fee for the road signs test.

You can then book a re-exam road test when you're ready.

• Before your road test, any outstanding fines, medical requirements, cancellations or prohibitions must first be satisfied.
  • If you have been licensed to operate several classes of vehicles, a road test using each type of vehicle will be required.
  • Should you wish to retain a previously held air brake endorsement, you must also complete an air brake pre-trip inspection on an air brake-equipped vehicle.
2. Since you are talking about exchanging an expired Ontario license, they will not take your Hong Kong license into account for a straight exchange. So if you don't want to go through the hassle of starting all over again, bring proof of 2 years driving experience in Hong Kong.

What your driving record or letter of experience must include
  • the name, address and phone number of the driver's licensing authority in your jurisdiction

• your name and birth date

• your driver's licence number (or other unique identifier)

• class of licence(s) held

• either the date(s) your licence(s) were originally issued or the amount of time you have held a licence, and

• note the two years' of non-learner driving experience to be exempt from the graduated licensing program (GLP), if any.

roverbon

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
Hi

1. Here is what ICBC states

If you haven't been driving
If your licence expired over three years ago and you haven't been driving, you'll need to be retested before you can renew.

You will need to visit a driver licensing office to take a vision screening and road signs test and be issued a learner's licence. There is no fee for the road signs test.

You can then book a re-exam road test when you're ready.

• Before your road test, any outstanding fines, medical requirements, cancellations or prohibitions must first be satisfied.
  • If you have been licensed to operate several classes of vehicles, a road test using each type of vehicle will be required.
  • Should you wish to retain a previously held air brake endorsement, you must also complete an air brake pre-trip inspection on an air brake-equipped vehicle.
2. Since you are talking about exchanging an expired Ontario license, they will not take your Hong Kong license into account for a straight exchange. So if you don't want to go through the hassle of starting all over again, bring proof of 2 years driving experience in Hong Kong.

What your driving record or letter of experience must include
  • the name, address and phone number of the driver's licensing authority in your jurisdiction

• your name and birth date

• your driver's licence number (or other unique identifier)

• class of licence(s) held

• either the date(s) your licence(s) were originally issued or the amount of time you have held a licence, and

• note the two years' of non-learner driving experience to be exempt from the graduated licensing program (GLP), if any.
Thats so good to hear. I got a similar answer like this in one of the ICBC feedback and another email feedback was just telling me to do all the tests from the beginning. Thank you PMM..