+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired COPR

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
Hello,

MY COPR expired on December 4th - I am willing to travel in summer.

Did anyone move after their COPR expired? And what were the steps they asked you to do when you informed them you were ready to travel?

Appreciate your response.

Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Did anyone move after their COPR expired? And what were the steps they asked you to do when you informed them you were ready to travel?

Thank you!
You need to send IRCC a webform to request an extension.

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
You need to send IRCC a webform to request an extension.
Their response is always: Let us know when you are ready to travel - There is no such thing as extension of a COPR. I received mine before 18th March 2020,
As i understood they are giving a few months extensions for those who received it afterwards.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Their response is always: Let us know when you are ready to travel - There is no such thing as extension of a COPR. I received mine before 18th March 2020,
As i understood they are giving a few months extensions for those who received it afterwards.
As I understand it, you don’t do anything now as IRCC knows you can’t travel. When borders open, I am sure there will be a new procedure to travel.

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I am a bit worried honestly now that my copr has expired.. is there a possibility they won’t allow us to enter anymore? The ones with expired copr i mean.. i am not sure how difficult there are with the proof documents etc... i believe the best thing is to wait until i am ready as i cannot do much at the moment.
What situation are you in? Good luck

Amanda2019

Nov 26, 2020
Hello,

Thank you!
You need to send out a web form. Please do it at the earliest. I sent the webform in August and recieved a mail in October asking for a detailed quarantine plan amongst other things. The mail also said that I will need to prepare to leave within two months. It’s been three months not but no update from the ircc at all! Some people have been requested to re-submit their medicals and PCC if they are expired. I think once they look into this, they will send you a letter authorising you to travel. But there is no fixed theme line. Ircc is being very slow and not giving much clarity.

Aliasoufan

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
You need to send out a web form. Please do it at the earliest. I sent the webform in August and recieved a mail in October asking for a detailed quarantine plan amongst other things. The mail also said that I will need to prepare to leave within two months. It’s been three months not but no update from the ircc at all! Some people have been requested to re-submit their medicals and PCC if they are expired. I think once they look into this, they will send you a letter authorising you to travel. But there is no fixed theme line. Ircc is being very slow and not giving much clarity.
Oh wow... yeah i mean this is really confusing. I have to give my company a 2 months notice when resigning so this is not going to help if they take almost 2 months to get back to people. Did you have to redo you medicals or submit additional documents? Oh you mean they told you to be ready to move within 60 days starting when they actually send you the travel authorization?

thank you for sharing and good luck!

Razanec

Nov 2, 2018
Hello there,
I am in a similar position. My COPR expired last May and I’ve contacted them saying I can’t travel right now due to travel restrictions but mostly I can’t leave my job here and risk going to Canada now to spend all my savings especially with what’s going on right now.
I’ve sent so many when forms to which I got some standard responses saying to not contact them unless “I’m ready to travel”.
The thing is that if I decide to quit my job I have to give 3 months notice and I don’t know when IRCC is gonna respond and for how long they’ll extend my visa.
I contacted them 2 weeks ago to say that I cannot travel until next year and to make sure they won’t cancel on me. Still no response and I’m starting to get a bit worried.

Pradip83

Dec 21, 2020
Hi,

My family had COPR and also passport stamped with VISA before March 18th. The COPR and VISA expired in Sep. I raised 4 webforms from Sep 30 mentioning that my family is travel ready. Last Friday IRCC has sent me the ALs valid till Feb mid, 2021. Also, I have PR already.
So, going by the current standards it is taking 2 to 3 months to get the AL once you raise the travel ready webform.

Hope this helps.

Razanec

Nov 2, 2018
Hi,

My family had COPR and also passport stamped with VISA before March 18th. The COPR and VISA expired in Sep. I raised 4 webforms from Sep 30 mentioning that my family is travel ready. Last Friday IRCC has sent me the ALs valid till Feb mid, 2021. Also, I have PR already.
So, going by the current standards it is taking 2 to 3 months to get the AL once you raise the travel ready webform.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply, it gives me hope at least :)
Which country are you from? And by any chance do u know someone else that got the AL after 2 or 3 months from a different country? Just to know if it’s a general rule or not .. I need to take that into consideration before quitting my job.

Reactions: olahamada

Pradip83

Dec 21, 2020
Which country are you from? And by any chance do u know someone else that got the AL after 2 or 3 months from a different country? Just to know if it’s a general rule or not .. I need to take that into consideration before quitting my job.
I am from India. One of my friend also got AL for his family. His case was also similar to me He had PR and family was yet to do the landing.

Reactions: olahamada

olahamada

Aug 20, 2018
Happy for you and your family. What do you mean by ALs? I landed in Canada in May 2020 with my son. My husband had to stay home and now his CoPR expired since September 21, he tried to travel but there was not flights. I raised many webform to the IRCC and I always received the generic reply. Can you please give me more details? Did they ask for new medicals? Did they ask for the passports? Thank you

Pradip83

Dec 21, 2020
Happy for you and your family. What do you mean by ALs? I landed in Canada in May 2020 with my son. My husband had to stay home and now his CoPR expired since September 21, he tried to travel but there was not flights. I raised many webform to the IRCC and I always received the generic reply. Can you please give me more details? Did they ask for new medicals? Did they ask for the passports? Thank you
Hi,

AL means authorization letter from IRCC for travel purpose. My situation was almost same like you. My wife and daughter's VISA and medicals expired in September 2020. I raised a travel ready webform on September 30 mentioning all details like
Case of Family reunification
why they were not able to travel earlier
Quarantine arrangements for my wife and daughter (attached lease agreement)
My company letter to prove that I am employed and can take care of them

I received generic response for the 1st 3 webforms (same details in each webform). Finally got the ALs after 3 months (almost). For your reference please find below extract from the AL. Hope this helps.

You must carry a copy of this letter along with your passport as proof of your authorization to travel to Canada.

On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced travel restrictions to Canada to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians. Your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved on 2019/11/01 and you were issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) document. If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada, you were also issued a PR visa counterfoil in your passport. As your application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions. As your CoPR XXXXXXX and PR visa XXXXXXX expired on 2020/09/22, we have extended their validity until 2021/04/29. At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils.
For your travel to Canada, you will need to:
bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa
show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that the validity of your expired CoPR and PR visa have in fact been extended.
use this letter before 2021/02/16

olahamada

Aug 20, 2018
Hi,

AL means authorization letter from IRCC for travel purpose. My situation was almost same like you. My wife and daughter's VISA and medicals expired in September 2020. I raised a travel ready webform on September 30 mentioning all details like
Case of Family reunification
why they were not able to travel earlier
Quarantine arrangements for my wife and daughter (attached lease agreement)
My company letter to prove that I am employed and can take care of them

I received generic response for the 1st 3 webforms (same details in each webform). Finally got the ALs after 3 months (almost). For your reference please find below extract from the AL. Hope this helps.

You must carry a copy of this letter along with your passport as proof of your authorization to travel to Canada.

On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced travel restrictions to Canada to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of Canadians. Your application for permanent residence (PR) was approved on 2019/11/01 and you were issued a confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) document. If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada, you were also issued a PR visa counterfoil in your passport. As your application for permanent residence was approved on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions. As your CoPR XXXXXXX and PR visa XXXXXXX expired on 2020/09/22, we have extended their validity until 2021/04/29. At this time, we are not printing and mailing new CoPRs or PR visa counterfoils.
For your travel to Canada, you will need to:
bring this letter, along with your original CoPR and PR visa
show it to the airline as proof that you are exempt from the travel restriction and that the validity of your expired CoPR and PR visa have in fact been extended.
use this letter before 2021/02/16
Thank you so much for your reply. This was very helpful. I will try it again and keep sending all the documents even though I sent everything you wrote.
One last question, what category did you choose when you filled the webform from the drop menu? Electronic travel authorization or request of amendments of documents?

Pradip83

Dec 21, 2020
Submit your request by filling out the IRCC Web form and include the following information for each applicant:
(https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp) --- Permanent Residence (applied online) - Express Entry
  • Surname and complete given name (including middle name, if applicable) - exactly as they appear on the passport or identity document,
  • Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD),
  • Client ID Number, UCI or Application Number,
  • Country of birth,
  • Type of application,
  • Date on which the application was submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada,
  • Mailing method (courier, Canada Post (registered or regular mail), etc.),
    • company used,
    • confirmation no.,
  • Office where the application was submitted (city, country),
  • Receipt number,
  • Current address,
  • Telephone number(s),
  • Email address, and
  • All documents submitted with your previous request.
If you are contacting us on behalf of someone else:

• Please make sure to enter their information under the Applicant Information section and your information under the Enquirer Information section, and
    • if you are not an authorized representative or designated individual, please also include the following information in the Your enquiry box of the Web form:
      • your surname and complete given name (including middle name, if applicable),
      • your date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD), and
      • your country of birth.
  • If applicable, provide a Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form, a Release of Information to an Individual (IMM 5475) form or a Power of Attorney in order to be authorized to receive the requested information.