+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

experience letter from the employer

noranora

Dec 22, 2014
I received one from HR back in March when I was anticipating ITA which was only received on Sep 18. Should I get the HR letter updated? I could not find references from CIC website regarding the date of the employment letter. Thanks!

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
I believe Employment reference letters are valid at all times as long as the letters fulfill the criteria required by CIC i.e. the letters have the required information on them.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sushsmart15 said:
I believe Employment reference letters are valid at all times as long as the letters fulfill the criteria required by CIC i.e. the letters have the required information on them.
That is correct.

But the OP must also remember that they will NOT be able to claim any work experience for 'that' job which was acquired after the date on their reference letter. In their case, the reference letter is valid ONLY for their experience till March. If they want to claim the additional experience from March till date, they would have to get a revised reference letter.

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
Oh yes...that's a very good point. How does a candidate prove CIC about his current employment? Is it necessary to provide offer letter or work contract for his present employment if the work experience points are to be taken into consideration for the present job? Or does a candidate have to get a letter from manager or HR?

arsh_canada

Sep 18, 2015
Is there any specific format CIC need the employment reference letter?

What details are needed in the letter i.e full time, duration, hrs etc. Does anyone have any template to share?

I have been associated with the same company but assigned at different locations - countries , is showing the reference letter from CDN suffices. I have got ITA under FsW.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sushsmart15 said:
Oh yes...that's a very good point. How does a candidate prove CIC about his current employment? Is it necessary to provide offer letter or work contract for his present employment if the work experience points are to be taken into consideration for the present job? Or does a candidate have to get a letter from manager or HR?
Usually this won't be a problem because the ITA is contingent on your history rather than the present. By that I mean if you don't need the extra months of experience (because they did not add CRS points) you don't need a revised reference letter.

However, this would help that minority who are on the cusp of 2/3 years of Canadian/foreign work experience and that makes a material difference to their application because the additional months add points which they wouldn't otherwise have. In such situations alone, a revised reference letter would be mandatory. Again, this will be a very small minority because their ITA was contingent on the points they had when they submitted the application into the pool and not their present situation.

By the way, CIC doesn't care if you quit your job after getting an ITA because that makes no material difference to your CRS score or your application. Remember, you don't get points simply for having a job - you get points for the number of years of experience. If your current job got you enough points as on the date you got your ITA, you can technically quit the next day and the ITA would still be valid provided you have a valid reference letter to claim points for that work experience.

Hope that clarifies. All the best!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arsh_canada said:
Is there any specific format CIC need the employment reference letter?

What details are needed in the letter i.e full time, duration, hrs etc. Does anyone have any template to share?

I have been associated with the same company but assigned at different locations - countries , is showing the reference letter from CDN suffices. I have got ITA under FsW.
Check for formats here ---> www.fsw2014.info/sample-reference-letter/

This is what CIC needs on a work reference letter. Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

a reference or experience letter from the employer, which

should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),

should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income, and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
For employment reference letter, your main responsibilities should match up with the responsibilities of your NOC code. May not be the exact words but the same responsibilities.
Your NOC code depends on your responsibilities and not your current designation.

Below is the format for Employment Reference Letter as an example:

Company Name
Address
PO Box or Post Code
City
State/Province
Country

Date: 20th September 2015

Subject: Employment Reference Letter

To whom it may concern,
This is to certify that Mr./Ms. First Name Last Name was an employee of Company Name and was employed from 11th January 2010 until 30th November 2011.
Mr./Ms. First Name Last Name was employed on a Full-time basis working 48 hours per week as a Sales Engineer(Designation) for IT Products. He received a total annual salary of USD/INR/AED/CAD XXX,XXX

Main Responsibilities:
1) Promote sales to existing clients
2) Identify and solicit potential clients
3) Assess clients' needs and resources and recommend the appropriate goods or services
4) Provide input into product design where goods must be tailored to suit clients' needs
5) Develop reports and proposals as part of sales presentation to illustrate benefits from use of equipments or service.
6) Estimate costs of installing and maintaining equipment or service.
7) Prepare and administer sales contracts
8) Consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support.

Sincerely yours,

Mr./Ms. First Name Last Name
Designation: Manager/Director
Tel. No.: Official Number
E-mail: (Official e-mail address)

Above should be on a company letterhead with the concerned manager or director's signature and company stamp/seal on this letter.

I hope this helps.

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
Thank you very much Asivad for the clarification. Thankfully, my points remain unaffected with that since one can claim points for maximum 3 years work experience which I have already through my previous jobs. So, I believe I do not have to get a letter for my current job as of now. Only afterwards when I would leave it.

arsh_canada

Sep 18, 2015
Thanks Asivad and Sushsmart.

You guys are really a blessings on this forum.

One thing - I have been associated with the same company but worked in differnet locations like India, UK and currently in Canada.

I can get the Canadain ref. letter easily since I am presently working here . Getting that from India and UK would be a big deal as it was in 2008 and 2009.

Is it ok if I get a letter depicting few lines for exp. in each location , or does it need to be separate letter for each location. Wouldn't current ref. letter suffice ?

Thanks again.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arsh_canada said:
Thanks Asivad and Sushsmart.

You guys are really a blessings on this forum.

One thing - I have been associated with the same company but worked in differnet locations like India, UK and currently in Canada.

I can get the Canadain ref. letter easily since I am presently working here . Getting that from India and UK would be a big deal as it was in 2008 and 2009.

Is it ok if I get a letter depicting few lines for exp. in each location , or does it need to be separate letter for each location. Wouldn't current ref. letter suffice ?

Thanks again.
You wouldn't need reference letter for each location. You will need reference letter for each job position because that would imply a possible change in NOC. If you've worked in the same NOC throughout, just get it mentioned in the letter that you've worked on the same responsibilities across multiple geographies and provide timelines for those experiences.

arsh_canada

Sep 18, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
You wouldn't need reference letter for each location. You will need reference letter for each job position because that would imply a possible change in NOC. If you've worked in the same NOC throughout, just get it mentioned in the letter that you've worked on the same responsibilities across multiple geographies and provide timelines for those experiences.
Perfect, this is a valuable information.

Thanks Asivad.

arsh_canada

Sep 18, 2015
Hi Asivad

I am bit confused about the Employement reference letter and expert opinion.

Even though I have been working for the same Company under same NOC (2174) but worked in differnet location under differnet subsidiaroes ( e.g ABC India , ABC Canada , ABC UK etc.) , the system is askimg me to upload 8 Employemnet records.

Can you pls. suggest

This is how I have entered the details in my Work History . Is there any better way of entering the employment history so it should ask me only one Employment reference letter. I have gathered points due to International experience as well.

2013 -2015 --> ABC Canada

2010- 2013 --> ABC India

2009 - 2010 --> ABC UK

2007 - 2009 --> ABC India

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arsh_canada said:
Hi Asivad

I am bit confused about the Employement reference letter and expert opinion.

Even though I have been working for the same Company under same NOC (2174) but worked in differnet location under differnet subsidiaroes ( e.g ABC India , ABC Canada , ABC UK etc.) , the system is askimg me to upload 8 Employemnet records.

Can you pls. suggest

This is how I have entered the details in my Work History . Is there any better way of entering the employment history so it should ask me only one Employment reference letter. I have gathered points due to International experience as well.

2013 -2015 --> ABC Canada

2010- 2013 --> ABC India

2009 - 2010 --> ABC UK

2007 - 2009 --> ABC India
If the NOC remained unchanged, don't create a separate line item for each country. Just create 2 line items - one for experience acquired inside Canada and one for foreign work experience as that is the only country-specific distinction that matters under EE.

In such a case, you will be asked to upload just 2 reference letters to prove both of these experiences.

vinodram

Feb 5, 2015
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottwa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
If the NOC remained unchanged, don't create a separate line item for each country. Just create 2 line items - one for experience acquired inside Canada and one for foreign work experience as that is the only country-specific distinction that matters under EE.

In such a case, you will be asked to upload just 2 reference letters to prove both of these experiences.
Hi Asivad

Can we provide only one Reference letter for both Canadian and foreign experience? Since I worked in the same company in the same NOC code

cheers