+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience at Land Border Crossing

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
I am visiting my aunt in Portland, so was thinking of driving out of US to Vancouver. I am short of 730 days requirement, hence the concern of whether to drive out of US or fly out (I will be using ESTA). Hope this makes things bit more clearer. I really appreciate your help Msafiri, you have given great input. Thanks.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Glad to be of help..yes all clearer now. Either option is ok - land border crossing is usually more relaxed. Some airports including Vancouver have automated entry gates where you scan your PR Card - unless there is a flag on your name or random pull you skip the primary and secondary lines. There is still an agent at the end of the gates to pick up your customs declaration whcih as you know has a 'when did you leave Canada' section. What's your land border crossing?

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Thinking Peach Arch crossing to Vancouver. You say Vancouver airport has PR card scan entry barrier, can you please tell me more about it, means we just scan the card and barrier will open to pass on, also "skip primary or secondary line"? Thanks.

hushraj

Sep 7, 2013
Hi Guys

need advice please.

I became PR on 2nd june 2010, have PR card along with my wife which is valid till July 2015. I landed on 2nd June and came back to UK after 10days, now planning to go back in December 2013 as I have been offered a full time permanent post. I was unable to go early as wife had been poorly, I would really appreciate your advice on following questions,

1. If I go in December I will have have one and half year left so I will not meet residency obligations. Shall I go by air or land route is relatively safer?

2. Would it be better to give up PR and ask employer to get work permit (not keen as it gives least flexibility and I will have to apply for PR again, you never know, rules keep changing)

3. My wife has chosen to have my surname and her PR card is with her original surname, we had indian passport when we took PR but we have now got British passport which has got her new surname, would this be a problem? although she has her old passport with her original details.

4. My biggest worry, we have a child less than one year old British citizen with British passport, I did not have a child when we got PR, so what will be her status if we are able to enter? (we are currently living in UK, wife had three miscarriages and she was admitted before we had baby, which is the main reason we could not leave UK early)

I am very keen to do this new job and settle in Canada.please advice, many thanks

frazme

Sep 10, 2013
Hi . I am a frequest travel to USA by road and sharing you my personal experience that entering Canadian border via ROAD, the border officer are very easy to deal with. The last time i entered Canada was like 15 days back and i had 7 days left for my PR card to expire.

Border officer only asked when did i leave and where i live at the 1st point of entry. No secondary checking and i was welcomed with a happy face.

But again, it would have been lucky each time :)

Good luck

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
frazme said:
Hi . I am a frequest travel to USA by road and sharing you my personal experience that entering Canadian border via ROAD, the border officer are very easy to deal with. The last time i entered Canada was like 15 days back and i had 7 days left for my PR card to expire.

Border officer only asked when did i leave and where i live at the 1st point of entry. No secondary checking and i was welcomed with a happy face.

But again, it would have been lucky each time :)

Good luck
Thanks Frazme for sharing your experience, when you entered last time, were you able to fulfill the 730 days requirement? Did you have long absence from Canada, I presume not?

mikebjay

Nov 16, 2011
I am a PR in Canada and I had an unfortunate incident at the rainbow ridge 2 weeks ago. I drove to the US and when coming back, the GPS re-routed and took me through a different route coming back to canada. I spent hours looking for customs becuase the GPS was not responding. I asked and around and i was directed. I got to a boothe where i had to pay a toll which i did and drove off and at about 50 yards from the toll boothe was another boothe. i slowly approached it and it was dark and nobody was there to stop me. i passed that boothe still looking out for customs not knowing, that was actually customs that i passed. after a few mins, I received a call from customs saying i just passed. I told i havent seen customs yet and i immediately turned around and went to where they had told me come. they took me in and gave me a fine of a $1000 CAD and serve me a note to come to court. I tried explaining but I guess i wasnt making sense to them. Has anybody had such an experience before?

Moe...

Jul 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikebjay said:
I am a PR in Canada and I had an unfortunate incident at the rainbow ridge 2 weeks ago. I drove to the US and when coming back, the GPS re-routed and took me through a different route coming back to canada. I spent hours looking for customs becuase the GPS was not responding. I asked and around and i was directed. I got to a boothe where i had to pay a toll which i did and drove off and at about 50 yards from the toll boothe was another boothe. i slowly approached it and it was dark and nobody was there to stop me. i passed that boothe still looking out for customs not knowing, that was actually customs that i passed. after a few mins, I received a call from customs saying i just passed. I told i havent seen customs yet and i immediately turned around and went to where they had told me come. they took me in and gave me a fine of a $1000 CAD and serve me a note to come to court. I tried explaining but I guess i wasnt making sense to them. Has anybody had such an experience before?
Please seek advice from an experienced Immigration Attorney (Lawyer not immigration consultant). I don't know how serious it is but no harm in seeking advice from the expert to know what to expect next and where you stand now. God Forbid if it is serious, Attorney can represent on your behalf and fight for you.

mikebjay

Nov 16, 2011
Thank you very much for you advice. Do you think I can travel to the US although I have pending charges and i was fingerprinted at the Canadian border?....I went for my first court appearance and they could not provide the disclosure so the judge rescheduled me to reappear next month. I am thinking of visiting the family for Christmas but am scared I may be refused entry even though my I-94 is still valid. Can anyone share an experience or advice.

Thanks

Moe...

Jul 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikebjay said:
Thank you very much for you advice. Do you think I can travel to the US although I have pending charges and i was fingerprinted at the Canadian border?....I went for my first court appearance and they could not provide the disclosure so the judge rescheduled me to reappear next month. I am thinking of visiting the family for Christmas but am scared I may be refused entry even though my I-94 is still valid. Can anyone share an experience or advice.

Thanks
I recommend you contact Immigration Lawyer asap. If it becomes serious, somebody with knowledge can speak on behalf of you.
If you live in Ontario, you can contact community legal services through the below link:

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/contact/contact.asp?type=cl

mikebjay

Nov 16, 2011
Crossing the US Border

Hi does anybody think its advisable to cross the border if you are permanent resident and have charged with an offence?