+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exit/Entry records for citizenship application

livingevening

Dec 2, 2019
I'm wondering how IRCC verifies the travel history when exits by air are not collected?

I travelled out of Canada about 25 times during my eligibility period and requested the exit/entry records to double-check against my own records (air tickets, passport stamps, etc.) when applying for citizenship. I realized that if IRCC does not have my I-94 or flight tickets info (in cases I didn't fly/transit via US), they wouldn't be able to verify my physical presence calculations. The exit/entry records do not have all the actual travel history. For example, I left by direct flight to Dublin and come back a week later (absent for a week); with only entry record, I did not appear to be out of the country for a week cause only entry date was recorded... How will this affect my application?

16 out of 25 exits was not recorded. If IRCC has my I-94 (which I think they don't because there was no authorization from me for them to pull out such info), that number would still only be 10.

Sorry for a lengthy post. Maybe some experts here would shred some lights. I don't want to be issued an RQ as I heard it would significantly delay the processing time...

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
I'm wondering how IRCC verifies the travel history when exits by air are not collected?

I travelled out of Canada about 25 times during my eligibility period and requested the exit/entry records to double-check against my own records (air tickets, passport stamps, etc.) when applying for citizenship. I realized that if IRCC does not have my I-94 or flight tickets info (in cases I didn't fly/transit via US), they wouldn't be able to verify my physical presence calculations. The exit/entry records do not have all the actual travel history. For example, I left by direct flight to Dublin and come back a week later (absent for a week); with only entry record, I did not appear to be out of the country for a week cause only entry date was recorded... How will this affect my application?

16 out of 25 exits was not recorded. If IRCC has my I-94 (which I think they don't because there was no authorization from me for them to pull out such info), that number would still only be 10.

Sorry for a lengthy post. Maybe some experts here would shred some lights. I don't want to be issued an RQ as I heard it would significantly delay the processing time...

Hi

Please find below link, it is lengthy information

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

Hope it helps

issteven

Jan 2, 2014

They don't. They will look at your passport for entry stamps of foreign countries to "assume" that would be your exit dates for that trip. but if the foreign country don't stamp your passport, then there is no way for them to verify, it is YOUR responsibility to convince them.

livingevening

Dec 2, 2019
They don't. They will look at your passport for entry stamps of foreign countries to "assume" that would be your exit dates for that trip. but if the foreign country don't stamp your passport, then there is no way for them to verify, it is YOUR responsibility to convince them.
They only asked to submit a copy of the bio page of the passport. They will verify the stamps during the citizenship test?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
They only asked to submit a copy of the bio page of the passport. They will verify the stamps during the citizenship test?
They may do yes. People have been known to make and take along paperwork detailing which pages which stamps are on or why there won't be a stamp if no stamp (ie: home country or electronic entry etc).

Some people also never even had to show their passport at the interview. Amount of travel seems irrelevant based on the specific cases I know of where it wasn't required (and there was much travel). Possibly detailed info in the application physical presence calculator helps but I'm guessing here.

Personally, for countries that I didn't have all the stamps for (I was missing return stamps for a couple of trips as my work permit was stamped then removed, so I only had foreign country stamps) and more recent trips as a PR I took along the itineraries and my I-94 print out. None of which was required, while others have specifically been asked for these (especially the I-94) after the fact.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Sorry for a lengthy post.
As for "lengthy" posts, many of mine are indeed "lengthy" and this will be one of those. No apologies. This is not twitter. The questions and issues I ordinarily discuss are not FAQs which can be adequately addressed in a sentence or three. HOWEVER, to be clear, I am NOT an expert.

Frankly, it does NOT matter "how IRCC verifies the travel history."

What matters far more is what might trigger IRCC to have concerns or questions about the applicant's physical presence calculation, which obviously would include concerns or questions about the applicant's accounting of travel history (dates-of-exit and dates-of-entry) but goes well beyond that.

There are many, many ways in which IRCC might PERCEIVE there is cause to question the accuracy or completeness of the applicant's version of travel history (dates-of-exit and dates-of-entry), so many that addressing that tends to be a distraction.

What prospective applicants should understand is actually very, very simple: applicants need to make a very concerted effort to submit a near-perfect accounting of their travel history. A perfect (or at least near-perfect) accounting of travel history is the best insurance against RQ-related non-routine processing an applicant can buy. Submitting an actual physical presence calculation which has discrepancies with the applicant's actual (in fact) travel dates, and especially omissions, is among the more obvious circumstances likely to increase the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing.

The equation is relatively simple and straight-forward: get exit & entry dates right, as in accurate AND complete, places the best bet for smooth sailing. Fail to be accurate, or make omissions, increases the risk of non-routine RQ-related processing.

It really is that simple.

And, after all, since the applicant was personally there each and every time the applicant left Canada, and each and every time the applicant entered Canada, this is information the applicant absolutely has (unless the applicant has failed to keep accurate records) . . . and, indeed, there is NO ONE else in the whole world, no government body, no organization, no other person, who has this information FOR SURE . . . the applicant is the ONLY PERSON in the whole world who FOR CERTAIN has this information.

Which is why IRCC relies so extensively on the applicant to ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY provide this information.

So the big question is whether or not IRCC sees something that raises a concern or question, anything that might indicate it is POSSIBLE the applicant failed to ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY provide this information.

Perhaps, however, you really are interested in what IRCC looks at in assessing the accuracy and completeness of the applicant's travel history. That is a huge subject. Much of the answer is NOT public information. IRCC's investigatory methods and means are confidential. Some, however, is obvious. And we know a lot more than the government will acknowledge let alone overtly divulge (some from older leaked documents). And we can reliably extrapolate a good deal from what is public information, including what is revealed in Federal Court decisions ruling on actual cases.

We know enough to easily recognize that when the interviewer examines the citizenship applicant's passport stamps, during the interview, that is but a tiny sliver of the review process. But, yes, for many or most applicants the interviewer will at least glance through the stamped pages in the applicant's travel documents. To be clear, however, this is a process in which IRCC is looking for clues indicating discrepancies more than it is a fact-by-fact, date-by-date verification. Sure, the more complex the applicant's travel history, and more so if there are other reasons elevating the amount of attention given (such as applicants who apply with small margins over the minimum), the more likely the interviewer will be to focus on a fact-by-fact, date-by-date verification. But still mostly looking for discrepancies, for incongruities. For example: looking for any passport stamped with a date during a time period the applicant reported being IN Canada. Looking for stamps suggesting residential status in another country, or stamps suggesting employment abroad. And so on.

BUT again, that is a mere sliver of POTENTIAL inquiries IRCC personnel may conduct in reviewing a citizenship applicant's information for accuracy and completeness.

Note, for example, what has tripped up some applicants has been information posted in social media; problematic LinkedIn account information has popped up more than occasionally in the officially published decisions (including IAD published opinions regarding PRs with Residency Obligation non-compliance cases), like the doctor whose LinkedIn account showed him with experience working for an organization in the U.S. during the eligibility period and which he did not disclose in his employment history or travel history; like the individual for whom a LinkedIn account in a different but similar name appeared to be information about her and similarly contained information about experience with an employer abroad she did not disclose during a time period she reported being IN Canada, where she failed to submit sufficient evidence to prove that LinkedIn account was not hers or that the information was not really about her.

Again, these are but mere examples in individual cases. The range of ways in which IRCC might see something which raises questions is far, far too expansive to attempt enumerating, recognizing again that there is much we are not allowed to know about.

BUT much of this comes around to indications of CREDIBILITY generally. There are many, many ways just cross-checking the information in the application forms themselves can raise concerns or questions about the applicant's credibility. And if IRCC has concerns or questions about the applicant's credibility, that can rather quickly tip the scales toward RQ-related non-routine processing, if not outright skepticism and, in more extreme cases, even difficulty proving the case.

Consider the applicant's work or activity history for example. This does NOT directly relate to any qualification for citizenship. But it is considered important enough by IRCC that any gap in this information will render an application incomplete. That is, to qualify for citizenship an applicant does not need to show he or she worked so much as a single day in Canada. But a failure to provide an account of employment for EVERY month during the eligibility period could lead to the application being outright rejected. IRCC requires and reviews this information for multiple reasons, but a big reason is that it helps put information about dates physically present in Canada in context. It helps to clarify if not verify physical presence.

In that context, for example, if something tickles a processing agent's curiosity buttons, there can be some rather simple inquiries made, such as to verify employment or even so slight as to just verify the existence of a named employer, which for most applicants will not lead to any reason for concern but if something seems incongruous or awry, that can trigger another level of inquiry . . . and so on.

Leading back to putting travel history in context. Leading back to the core issue. Travel history is no more than an outline of dates present. As long as IRCC is satisfied that the applicant's version of the travel history is ACCURATE and COMPLETE, that will support the INFERENCE the applicant was actually physically present all those days in between a known date-of-entry and the next reported date-of-exit. The vast, vast majority of qualified applicants benefit from this inference. And, indeed, that is precisely how the online presence calculator works: it counts the date-of-entry and every day after that until and including the next reported date-of-exit as days IN Canada. BUT that travel history only directly shows just TWO days present in Canada; all the other days, the days in-between, are INFERRED to have been IN Canada.

Of course any direct information that the applicant's travel history dates are inaccurate or incomplete, such as a CBSA travel history showing an entry date the applicant has not reported, or a foreign passport stamp dated during a time period the applicant reported as IN Canada, directly raises questions about the accuracy of the applicant's travel history. BUT it is just as important to understand that if and when IRCC discovers any information which suggests the POSSIBILITY the applicant might not have been actually physically present IN Canada any one of those in-between days, between a known date-of-entry and the next reported date-of-exit, that brings into question the validity of the inference the applicant was in Canada all those in-between days.

The range of sources which might elicit such information is huge. BUT there is little or no likelihood of that if the applicant ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY reported all travel history dates. And, if for some reason a question does nonetheless arise, for the applicant whose presence calculation ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY reported all travel history dates, resolving such a question tends to be a lot easier and take a lot less time.

SUMMARY: Again, the equation is relatively simple and straight-forward: get exit & entry dates right, as in accurate AND complete, places the best bet for smooth sailing. A failure to be accurate, or making omissions, increases the risk of non-routine RQ-related processing.

livingevening

Dec 2, 2019
As for "lengthy" posts, many of mine are indeed "lengthy" and this will be one of those. No apologies. This is not twitter. The questions and issues I ordinarily discuss are not FAQs which can be adequately addressed in a sentence or three. HOWEVER, to be clear, I am NOT an expert.

Frankly, it does NOT matter "how IRCC verifies the travel history."

What matters far more is what might trigger IRCC to have concerns or questions about the applicant's physical presence calculation, which obviously would include concerns or questions about the applicant's accounting of travel history (dates-of-exit and dates-of-entry) but goes well beyond that.

There are many, many ways in which IRCC might PERCEIVE there is cause to question the accuracy or completeness of the applicant's version of travel history (dates-of-exit and dates-of-entry), so many that addressing that tends to be a distraction.

What prospective applicants should understand is actually very, very simple: applicants need to make a very concerted effort to submit a near-perfect accounting of their travel history. A perfect (or at least near-perfect) accounting of travel history is the best insurance against RQ-related non-routine processing an applicant can buy. Submitting an actual physical presence calculation which has discrepancies with the applicant's actual (in fact) travel dates, and especially omissions, is among the more obvious circumstances likely to increase the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing.

The equation is relatively simple and straight-forward: get exit & entry dates right, as in accurate AND complete, places the best bet for smooth sailing. Fail to be accurate, or make omissions, increases the risk of non-routine RQ-related processing.

And, after all, since the applicant was personally there each and every time the applicant left Canada, and each and every time the applicant entered Canada, this is information the applicant absolutely has (unless the applicant has failed to keep accurate records) . . . and, indeed, there is NO ONE else in the whole world, no government body, no organization, no other person, who has this information FOR SURE . . . the applicant is the ONLY PERSON in the whole world who FOR CERTAIN has this information.

Which is why IRCC relies so extensively on the applicant to ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY provide this information.

So the big question is whether or not IRCC sees something that raises a concern or question, anything that might indicate it is POSSIBLE the applicant failed to ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY provide this information.

Perhaps, however, you really are interested in what IRCC looks at in assessing the accuracy and completeness of the applicant's travel history. That is a huge subject. Much of the answer is NOT public information. IRCC's investigatory methods and means are confidential. Some, however, is obvious. And we know a lot more than the government will acknowledge let alone overtly divulge (some from older leaked documents). And we can reliably extrapolate a good deal from what is public information, including what is revealed in Federal Court decisions ruling on actual cases.

We know enough to easily recognize that when the interviewer examines the citizenship applicant's passport stamps, during the interview, that is but a tiny sliver of the review process. But, yes, for many or most applicants the interviewer will at least glance through the stamped pages in the applicant's travel documents. To be clear, however, this is a process in which IRCC is looking for clues indicating discrepancies more than it is a fact-by-fact, date-by-date verification. Sure, the more complex the applicant's travel history, and more so if there are other reasons elevating the amount of attention given (such as applicants who apply with small margins over the minimum), the more likely the interviewer will be to focus on a fact-by-fact, date-by-date verification. But still mostly looking for discrepancies, for incongruities. For example: looking for any passport stamped with a date during a time period the applicant reported being IN Canada. Looking for stamps suggesting residential status in another country, or stamps suggesting employment abroad. And so on.

BUT again, that is a mere sliver of POTENTIAL inquiries IRCC personnel may conduct in reviewing a citizenship applicant's information for accuracy and completeness.

Note, for example, what has tripped up some applicants has been information posted in social media; problematic LinkedIn account information has popped up more than occasionally in the officially published decisions (including IAD published opinions regarding PRs with Residency Obligation non-compliance cases), like the doctor whose LinkedIn account showed him with experience working for an organization in the U.S. during the eligibility period and which he did not disclose in his employment history or travel history; like the individual for whom a LinkedIn account in a different but similar name appeared to be information about her and similarly contained information about experience with an employer abroad she did not disclose during a time period she reported being IN Canada, where she failed to submit sufficient evidence to prove that LinkedIn account was not hers or that the information was not really about her.

Again, these are but mere examples in individual cases. The range of ways in which IRCC might see something which raises questions is far, far too expansive to attempt enumerating, recognizing again that there is much we are not allowed to know about.

BUT much of this comes around to indications of CREDIBILITY generally. There are many, many ways just cross-checking the information in the application forms themselves can raise concerns or questions about the applicant's credibility. And if IRCC has concerns or questions about the applicant's credibility, that can rather quickly tip the scales toward RQ-related non-routine processing, if not outright skepticism and, in more extreme cases, even difficulty proving the case.

Consider the applicant's work or activity history for example. This does NOT directly relate to any qualification for citizenship. But it is considered important enough by IRCC that any gap in this information will render an application incomplete. That is, to qualify for citizenship an applicant does not need to show he or she worked so much as a single day in Canada. But a failure to provide an account of employment for EVERY month during the eligibility period could lead to the application being outright rejected. IRCC requires and reviews this information for multiple reasons, but a big reason is that it helps put information about dates physically present in Canada in context. It helps to clarify if not verify physical presence.

In that context, for example, if something tickles a processing agent's curiosity buttons, there can be some rather simple inquiries made, such as to verify employment or even so slight as to just verify the existence of a named employer, which for most applicants will not lead to any reason for concern but if something seems incongruous or awry, that can trigger another level of inquiry . . . and so on.

Leading back to putting travel history in context. Leading back to the core issue. Travel history is no more than an outline of dates present. As long as IRCC is satisfied that the applicant's version of the travel history is ACCURATE and COMPLETE, that will support the INFERENCE the applicant was actually physically present all those days in between a known date-of-entry and the next reported date-of-exit. The vast, vast majority of qualified applicants benefit from this inference. And, indeed, that is precisely how the online presence calculator works: it counts the date-of-entry and every day after that until and including the next reported date-of-exit as days IN Canada. BUT that travel history only directly shows just TWO days present in Canada; all the other days, the days in-between, are INFERRED to have been IN Canada.

Of course any direct information that the applicant's travel history dates are inaccurate or incomplete, such as a CBSA travel history showing an entry date the applicant has not reported, or a foreign passport stamp dated during a time period the applicant reported as IN Canada, directly raises questions about the accuracy of the applicant's travel history. BUT it is just as important to understand that if and when IRCC discovers any information which suggests the POSSIBILITY the applicant might not have been actually physically present IN Canada any one of those in-between days, between a known date-of-entry and the next reported date-of-exit, that brings into question the validity of the inference the applicant was in Canada all those in-between days.

Wow, that is really useful info. Thank you. Except for 1 mistake (I exit on the 26th but declared 25th in the application form), the rest is accurate and all exits/entries listed in the CBSA travel records are reported on my physical presence calculation form. Fingers crossed for the best scenario.

Thanks again.

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Thanks for this comprehensive post . I was for a day in Ethiopia during transit and hotel was outside airport . No transit visa was given nor was my passport stamped . We were allowed to go to the city as hotel was in city by airline you think this would raise questions during citizenship . People who stayed only in hotel said they won’t mention it but since few even went out to city I think we should mention

Acorn450

Star Member
Jun 1, 2022
Consider the applicant's work or activity history for example. This does NOT directly relate to any qualification for citizenship. But it is considered important enough by IRCC that any gap in this information will render an application incomplete. That is, to qualify for citizenship an applicant does not need to show he or she worked so much as a single day in Canada.
I am in RQ-lite hell, and I am almost entirely sure it's because I have not been employed in Canada since becoming a PR. It's frustrating, since I became a stay at home parent precisely because of the nature of my spouse's job, which is ironically within the Fed Govt.

I have been a PR for a very long time. I was hundreds of days over the required number of days as a resident. And yet the agent asked me at least twice during the interview if I was in Canada right now.

I sent the supplemental info they requested, and I am hoping it's enough. All this to say, yes, they spend a lot of time on employment history.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am in RQ-lite hell, and I am almost entirely sure it's because I have not been employed in Canada since becoming a PR. It's frustrating, since I became a stay at home parent precisely because of the nature of my spouse's job, which is ironically within the Fed Govt.

I have been a PR for a very long time. I was hundreds of days over the required number of days as a resident. And yet the agent asked me at least twice during the interview if I was in Canada right now.

I sent the supplemental info they requested, and I am hoping it's enough. All this to say, yes, they spend a lot of time on employment history.
Generally the RQ-lite non-routine processing is often no more than a minor speed-bump. Perhaps delaying approval and scheduling for the oath a little longer than, say, a finger print request.

It was actually a huge benefit to many applicants when CIC/IRCC implemented use of the CIT 0520 to ask for limited documents rather than issuing the full blown RQ (CIT 0171). Remember any applicant, any applicant at all, could be subject to RQ-related processing, potentially triggered by a wide range of factors beyond the applicant's control. Until they started using CIT 0520 there was no in-between, either the applicant was given a full pass or referred into what many do indeed consider RQ-hell. I do not recall anyone referring to RQ-lite hell before, but I suppose the CIT 0520 can potentially be far more intrusive and expansive than what is typically seen (depending on what is specifically requested).

Of course the scope of inconvenience and difficulty, and resulting delays, depends on the specific requests and whatever concerns or questions IRCC has in the particular case, but for the qualified applicant who can promptly provide the requested information and documentation, and for whom there should be no overt cause to challenge the applicant's travel history or presence calculation, this procedure is more likely to be a relatively short side trip on the path to taking the oath.

In any event, for the vast majority of those who encounter RQ-lite, it is a lot less onerous and far less of a delay overall than full-blown RQ.

Which brings this round to employment history. Yep. No doubt. Steady employment for a readily recognized Canadian employer, involving physically working at a positively identified location in Canada on a regular schedule, tends to be damn strong evidence the individual was physically present in Canada during the respective periods of time. It is objective evidence of where the PR was, when, and lots of it. Work is NOT a requirement. But it is evidence of presence, and the stronger the evidence of physical presence, the less risk IRCC has concerns about this qualifying requirement.

This was the main reason I waited more than an extra year to apply, since I am self-employed engaged in providing services to clients/patrons outside Canada. And still worried that I might be dragged through RQ-hell. I was not. I count myself a little lucky.

Side-note: for a period of time in the past CIC was issuing RQ, full blown RQ, to EVERY applicant who had any period of time they were not employed, or that they were self-employed, or employed as a consultant; during that period, for a time, one in every four applicants was getting RQ, including nearly all applicants who had been students or stay-at-home parents. Second only to the impact of Covid, that resulted in the biggest and longest stall in processing citizenship applications in the last two decades, fully qualified applicants waiting three and four years to take the oath.

Thanks for this comprehensive post . I was for a day in Ethiopia during transit and hotel was outside airport . No transit visa was given nor was my passport stamped . We were allowed to go to the city as hotel was in city by airline you think this would raise questions during citizenship . People who stayed only in hotel said they won’t mention it but since few even went out to city I think we should mention
Sorry, but I am going to go into more depth here than you probably want.

Mention what exactly? Where? When?

I do not mean to be difficult, but the application process involves providing specific information as asked following the instructions. So, follow the instructions. Answer the questions asked honestly, including as completely and accurately as practically possible. If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

In the citizenship application itself (CIT 0002) there are no questions for which the applicant would ordinarily reference a brief transit through a country for which there was no formal visa issued.

In the physical presence calculation the applicant is asked to declare all countries visited during the eligibility period, by listing those countries that are in addition to the particular destination of the trip in the box for stating the reason for the trip; this only asks for a mere LISTING of such countries. Not complicated: list all countries visited during that particular period of time abroad.

Otherwise, during the application process IRCC might ask this or that applicant additional questions, which the applicant will need to answer truthfully. If the accurate, truthful answer to the particular question asked includes visiting another country, however briefly, no expertise in Canadian immigration necessary, let alone advanced degrees in neuroscience, yeah, answer the question asked and answer it truthfully.

Generally an applicant should focus on accurately, honestly, completely answering questions and NOT try to fashion answers based on how they apprehend the answer might affect the processing of their application.

But OK, yes, sure, some very minor details are likely insignificant. What's the difference between transiting a country including a very minimal foray outside an international zone in an airport versus only making a forwarding connection? Does one really need to declare that country among those visited? To be clear, this question is actually asking does it matter if the applicant leaves some minor, incidental, unimportant detail out even though the accurate answer would be to include that detail. And many times, especially where there is no stamp, it will not matter. If during a two-week trip to San Diego in the U.S. the PR just went into Tijuana, Mexico for a day or three, and was just waived into and out of Mexico, and they leave that detail out in their physical presence travel history, odds are high the omission has no impact whatsoever.

That is, the instructions clearly call for questions to be answered. Whether it matters if the applicant leaves some details out, that's a different question. Many applicants do and suffer no detriment. How you approach it, that's a judgment call you make.

Reactions: A_S

Acorn450

Star Member
Jun 1, 2022
Generally the RQ-lite non-routine processing is often no more than a minor speed-bump. Perhaps delaying approval and scheduling for the oath a little longer than, say, a finger print request.

It was actually a huge benefit to many applicants when CIC/IRCC implemented use of the CIT 0520 to ask for limited documents rather than issuing the full blown RQ (CIT 0171). Remember any applicant, any applicant at all, could be subject to RQ-related processing, potentially triggered by a wide range of factors beyond the applicant's control. Until they started using CIT 0520 there was no in-between, either the applicant was given a full pass or referred into what many do indeed consider RQ-hell. I do not recall anyone referring to RQ-lite hell before, but I suppose the CIT 0520 can potentially be far more intrusive and expansive than what is typically seen (depending on what is specifically requested).
I certainly hope it's a minor delay, and I am absolutely glad that I did not get the full RQ. But even the lite version has been a pain.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017

That is so funny....