+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exit and renter to Canada

Nov 17, 2020
I am writing to seek guidance on a matter concerning my current immigration status in Canada.

Due to an unforeseen emergency, I find myself in a situation where I need to exit the country in February 2024. However, my student permit and co-op work permit and my TRV are set to expire on March 31, 2024. Given this circumstance, I am uncertain about the advisability of leaving the country in February.

To provide some context, I recently encountered a challenge in one of the subjects within my PACE program. Consequently, I have enrolled in another college to retake the subject, with the anticipated completion date being February 7, 2024. Following this, I plan to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in March 2024.

Considering these factors, I am seeking your guidance on the following:

Is it advisable for me to exit and return to the country in February 2024, given that my student and co-op work permits and TRV expire on March 31, 2024?

If exiting in February is not recommended, could you please advise on the latest date I can exit Canada and reenter without jeopardizing my immigration status?

Your insights on these matters would be greatly appreciated as I navigate this situation. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am writing to seek guidance on a matter concerning my current immigration status in Canada.

Due to an unforeseen emergency, I find myself in a situation where I need to exit the country in February 2024. However, my student permit and co-op work permit and my TRV are set to expire on March 31, 2024. Given this circumstance, I am uncertain about the advisability of leaving the country in February.

To provide some context, I recently encountered a challenge in one of the subjects within my PACE program. Consequently, I have enrolled in another college to retake the subject, with the anticipated completion date being February 7, 2024. Following this, I plan to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in March 2024.

Considering these factors, I am seeking your guidance on the following:

Is it advisable for me to exit and return to the country in February 2024, given that my student and co-op work permits and TRV expire on March 31, 2024?

If exiting in February is not recommended, could you please advise on the latest date I can exit Canada and reenter without jeopardizing my immigration status?

Your insights on these matters would be greatly appreciated as I navigate this situation. Thank you for your time and assistance.
So you went to PACE for at least a semester and then changed to another DLI with the approval of IRCC. You changed your IRCC profile and asked to change DLI. Your co-op work permit is tied to your new school, not PACE.

You can leave and return before March 31.

Nov 17, 2020
Hi
Thank you for your response.
I did PACE course throughout for almost two years but I flunked a subject hence doing that subject with another DLI. That is the only subject that I am left with to complete my course so that I will obtain my certificate from PACE by end of February or Early March
What do you reckon the best option for it ? Okay to exit and return ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi
Thank you for your response.
I did PACE course throughout for almost two years but I flunked a subject hence doing that subject with another DLI. That is the only subject that I am left with to complete my course so that I will obtain my certificate from PACE by end of February or Early March
What do you reckon the best option for it ? Okay to exit and return ?
Is PACE through U of W? So you changed DLIs and notified IRCC about the change through their online form. If you changed DLIs you would have started a new program to maintain full time studies. How is this course being included on your transcript if you went and completed it at another DLI. Was the other DLI, U of M? If so are you getting a certificate from both universities? FYI - you may not be eligible for a PGWP if you took another course at another DLI because you must study at the DLI on your study permit.

But you can enter Canada by the end of March.

Nov 17, 2020
Is PACE through U of W? So you changed DLIs and notified IRCC about the change through their online form. If you changed DLIs you would have started a new program to maintain full time studies. How is this course being included on your transcript if you went and completed it at another DLI. Was the other DLI, U of M? If so are you getting a certificate from both universities? FYI - you may not be eligible for a PGWP if you took another course at another DLI because you must study at the DLI on your study permit.

But you can enter Canada by the end of March.

Nov 17, 2020
Hi Thank you for your response .I did not change my DLI. I will be receiving my transcript from UofW l. Just that I failed one subject so I am going to repeat it with another college which is approved by UofW. Which is suggested by UofW
So I think I am eligible for PGWP ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Thank you for your response .I did not change my DLI. I will be receiving my transcript from UofW l. Just that I failed one subject so I am going to repeat it with another college which is approved by UofW. Which is suggested by UofW
So I think I am eligible for PGWP ?
You need to talk to your advisor. You can only study at the DLI on your study permit. If you do, then you are studying illegally. Will your transcript state you took the course at UoW or not? Doesn’t matter if UoW approves it. This may make you ineligible for a PGWP for studying at a school not listed on your study permit, not informing IRCC of changing DLIs, not being a full time student at U of W, and being part time at another DLI.

Reactions: canuck78