+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Existing Degree+ Canadian Diploma

Kashmira

Dec 7, 2015
Dear Friends,

I have a B.A Degree to add in my express entry profile. Thinking of obtaining a fast track ( 6 months distance learning) diploma course from a Canadian university. This can be added in my profile when I am in pool for getting additional 40-50 points.

If I do this diploma in my country, I will spend money for ECA hence doing it from Canadian uni.

Am I going in right direction?

Kind Regards,

Kashmira

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I read over again the comprehensive ranking system info and I don't see the canadian education section... Where did you see that?

Kashmira

Dec 7, 2015
Hi AnnaBG,

Thanks for your revert.
This additional diploma is just to qualify for more points in two sections

1. Level of Education
2. With good official language proficiency (Canadian Language Benchmark Level [CLB] 7 or higher) and a post-secondary degree
--Choosing 3rd option of- Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years

Current degree+ diploma ( which I will study now and add in profile in 6 months/ fast track), I will get more points right? please advice.

Kind Regards,

Kashmira

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have a degree now (foreign one, not canadian)? If yes, what?
And also what about the language cert - what is the CLB of it?

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
A Canadian degree does not require ECA

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes but still I don't see how it gives you "40-50 points" more ..

Kashmira

Dec 7, 2015
I have a degree from UK (I will get the ECA done) and am currently on CLB 8 but again giving IELTS to achieve CLB9.

to get additional score I am planning to do a 6 months diploma course from Canadian uni ( Distance learning- No ECA) or recognized Indian University ( will get ECA done )

By the time I complete diploma I will be in pool. Adding certificate will increase my score ( As per CRS requirement mentioned in my 1st post).

Is that alright?

Thanks a ton!

Kashmira

AnnaBG

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Well apart from the points awarded for the certificate (bachelor, master bla bla) the important section is the education+language.

this one:

Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer - (13 with CBL7 and 25 with CBL9)

Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer - (25 with CBL7 and 50 with CBL9)

But it is very controversial if the course will do the trick for the second option. I read a lot regarding the issue because I did not quite understand what it meant. I have bachelor and master and the system approved me to the second option. But as far as I understand there are people who applied with one degree and one other certificate and it only approved them in the bachelor category.

This is what CIC says about it. I guess it should fall in some those explanations in order to get the points:

Post-Bachelor's Certificate
Post-undergraduate certificateFootnote 1
Post-Bachelor's Diploma
Post-undergraduate diplomaFootnote 1
Graduate Certificate
Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Postgraduate certificate
Postgraduate Diploma
Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Graduate diplomaFootnote 1
two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
one-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Study Toward a Master's Degree

Language makes the big difference so emphasize on it. If you decide to take the course, find out what is the certificate first and if it will qualify you in the two post-secondary programs section.

Didona84

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
The list above refers to the ECA results for foreign degrees. Nothing is specified for Canadian degrees.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm not sure if all the certificates and diplomas from Canadian universities apply. I'm saying this because many programs available online do not require the first degree, so they are post-secondary, but not postgraduate.
Not many countries have a practice of postgraduate diplomas and certificates. It's a very grey area, indeed. You may spend thousands of dollars for nothing (except for the joy of distance education :D), if CIC doesn't recognize your diploma as applicable.