+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

exchange of an ALBERTA driving license in QUEBEC

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi everyone,

can anyone please shed some lights if they have any valuable informations.

i would like to know if a class 7 learners license from alberta can be exchanged for the same in quebec or not....also would like to know if a holder of an alberta class 7 learners license for more then 12 months can directly pass a road test in quebec and get his class 5 or he/she has to start all over again and hold a quebec class 7 learners license for another 12 months...if you have any infos please help.

thank you

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
canadavisa13 said:
hi everyone,

can anyone please shed some lights if they have any valuable informations.

i would like to know if a class 7 learners license from alberta can be exchanged for the same in quebec or not....also would like to know if a holder of an alberta class 7 learners license for more then 12 months can directly pass a road test in quebec and get his class 5 or he/she has to start all over again and hold a quebec class 7 learners license for another 12 months...if you have any infos please help.

thank you

New Residents Who Hold a Driver's Licence Issued by a Province or Territory of Canada

If you hold a valid driver's licence issued by your jurisdiction of origin authorizing you to drive a passenger vehicle (Class 5), a motorcycle (Class 6), or a moped (Class 6D), you may drive the corresponding class of vehicle for up to 6 months after settling in Québec. After that, you must obtain a licence from the SAAQ. You can exchange your licence for an equivalent Québec driver's licence. The exchange may be made as soon as you are settled in Québec.
If you hold a driver's licence that authorizes you to drive vehicles other than a passenger vehicle (Class 5), a motorcycle (Class 6), or a moped (Class 6D), you are not allowed to drive these vehicles after settling in Québec. You must first obtain a licence from the SAAQ. You can exchange your licence for an equivalent Québec driver's licence as soon as you are settled in Québec. However, a medical exam is required.
During the exchange, you are not required to pass the proficiency examinations provided that your licence is valid or has expired within the last 3 years. If your licence has been expired for 3 years or more, you must pass the proficiency examinations.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi zoya_99 thank you so much for the reply,

i have read that from the SAAQ website but the confusion is wether a class 7 can be exchanged for the equivalent in quebec in this case or not because im not sure if they consider it a driving or learner license and they mention nothing about learners here

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
canadavisa13 said:
hi zoya_99 thank you so much for the reply,

i have read that from the SAAQ website but the confusion is wether a class 7 can be exchanged for the equivalent in quebec in this case or not because im not sure if they consider it a driving or learner license and they mention nothing about learners here
A learner’s permit does not transfer over to a new province, so when you move you will have to reapply and take the test to get the equivalent license for your new home. You will then have to complete all of the requirements of that province to move on to the next stage of the graduated licensing program.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
thanks but i am asking about quebec specifically here because i am very sure some other provinces transfer a learner license from alberta or you can directyl pass a road trip if you hold a learner for 12 months.
the question here is,am i going to be credited for the 12 months spent holding an alberta learner or will have to hold a quebec learner for another 12 months
thank you

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
canadavisa13 said:
thanks but i am asking about quebec specifically here because i am very sure some other provinces transfer a learner license from alberta or you can directyl pass a road trip if you hold a learner for 12 months.
the question here is,am i going to be credited for the 12 months spent holding an alberta learner or will have to hold a quebec learner for another 12 months
thank you
I'm not sure then. I'm so sorry

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
I'd recommend you to call SAAQ. As far as I know, a learner's permit doesn't transfer over there but you should call them and ask to be sure: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/reach_us/phone.php