+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Everything about Medical Exam (PR applications only)

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
Good day,

Many people are often worried about passing the medical exam. I have found some very nice information online that might help some of you in future and created this thread.

Situations of medical inadmissibility in Canada:
  • Danger to public health (whether you may have certain infectious diseases, such as active tuberculosis or active syphilis, or whether you’ve been in close contact with others with an infectious disease)
  • Danger to public safety (loss of physical and mental abilities; violent behaviour)
  • Excessive demand on health or social services (Treating you will cost $108,990 over 5 years (or $21,798 per year))
Validity of medical exam:
  • 12 months;
  • If your medical is expiring in 6 months or less, they will ask for remedial as your medicals should be valid to be issued COPR

As of 2020, the medical exam includes:
  • urinalysis – applicants age 5 and older
  • chest x-ray (posterior-anterior view) – applicants age 11 and older
  • syphilis – applicants age 15 and older
  • HIV – applicants age 15 and older
  • serum creatinine – applicants age 15 and older

In the previous years, the medical exam included: (Serum Creatinine was not there before)
  • urinalysis – applicants age 5 and older
  • chest x-ray (posterior-anterior view) – applicants age 11 and older
  • syphilis – applicants age 15 and older
  • HIV – applicants age 15 and older

All information regarding Canadian Panel Members and how they do medical examinations can be found:
Understanding your GCMS Notes for medical exam - Medical assessment coding for (M1, M2, M3, etc.):

Most Common Cases of Applicant Worries:
  • Blood in urine:
    • Blood in urine is classified as: 1+ (Small), 2+ (Moderate) and 3+ (Severe)
    • Prior to 2020, serum creatinine was not part of the medical exam. Creatinine is a waste product that comes from the normal wear and tear on muscles of the body. Everyone has creatinine in their bloodstream. With this test, CIC checks how well your kidneys work. Usually, when blood is found in urine that might indicate that there is some kidney damage and that would definitely fall under excessive demand on health or social services (Treating you will cost $108,990 over 5 years (or $21,798 per year)) in case you need kidney transplant, so on so forth.
      • Because they didn't use Serum Creatinine before to check how well your kidneys work, most of the information on having blood in urine causing application delays, as well as remedial, etc. are outdated in this forum. Nowadays because they check how well kidneys work, they do not have big issues with finding minor blood in urine, especially for women.
    • Below is a link that provides the information on how urinalysis is done, however, that is also outdated as it was last updated in 2013 and then, serum creatinine was not used as part of the test. However, to give some peace of mind to people who do have blood in urine, only 2+ or 3+ were reported then as well. If they did find 2+ and 3+ in urine for blood, then they performed serum creatinine as additional test.
    • Nowadays, as of 2020, CIC does not care about blood in urine as much as they care about having Protein in urine. CIC only looks for the following: if dipstick shows 2+ or 3+ for protein or microscopy is abnormal with protein of >0.30 mg/l and they don't mention blood in urine here at all anymore.
    • People have reported the following cases:
      • Prior to 2020, if blood was found in urine they were asked for repeat of urine, serum creatinine, and in worst cases, ultrasound as well (all for kidneys)
      • After 2020, some people had blood in urine and didn't cause a thing, as long as their serum creatinine was in order.
  • Protein in urine:
    • CIC treats with caution. if dipstick shows 2+ or 3+ for protein or microscopy is abnormal with protein of >0.30 mg/l, CIC will ask for repeated urinalysis and in case still the same, your eGFR will be calculated (another blood test that is taken with serum creatinine)
    • People have reported the following cases:
      • They tried to take medications, change diet, and really lower protein and then apply
      • Some proved they had nothing wrong in Kidneys with additional tests and therefore, passed.
  • Kidney diseases:
    • https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-guide.html#sec3.4
    • CIC treats with caution. Long standing diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and chronic renal or cardiac conditions are responsible for end-organ damages and gradual loss of kidney function over time. Chronic renal disease is responsible for a high burden of disease in Canada and lifesaving renal replacement therapies (dialysis and/or kidney transplantation) remain expensive and in short supply.
    • Your eGFR should be above 30 for CIC to approve your application (kidneys are damaged, but somehow still functional)
      • Clients identified to have impaired renal function (eGFR < 30 mL /min /1.73m2), require the following:
        • Urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (ACR)
        • Clients with advanced chronic renal failure or end-stage kidney disease (eGFR of <30ml/min at any time during the IME) have been identified in the latest Canadian TB standards as a high risk group for Latent TB reactivation. These clients should therefore be screened with IGRA
  • Obese and overweight people:

Some advices before medical exam:
  • Try not to work out
  • Avoid sex, if possible
  • Drink lots of water
  • When giving urine sample pee, hold pee, take sample, finish your pee in toilet
  • Try to be fasting, therefore, avoid the glucose and stuff
  • Avoid protein and eat high fibre food for 1-2 days before
  • Don't smoke before exam
  • If you have high blood pressure, try taking a medication before to regulate it

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
Hi Guys,

My account says: "Review of medical results - Sept 1: you passed the medical exam". my question is: Can it be my dependents, mine, or both? How does this usually work? my dependent did her medicals on 20th, Mine was uploaded on the 31st.

Reactions: shipping

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
@legalfalcon Hi Sir.. Thank you so much for everything you do! Maybe you can help my case as well..
My account says: "Review of medical results - Sept 1: you passed the medical exam".
my question is: Can it be my dependents, mine, or both? How does this usually work?
my dependent did her medicals on 20th of Aug, Mine was uploaded on the 31st of Aug.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon Hi Sir.. Thank you so much for everything you do! Maybe you can help my case as well..
My account says: "Review of medical results - Sept 1: you passed the medical exam".
my question is: Can it be my dependents, mine, or both? How does this usually work?
my dependent did her medicals on 20th of Aug, Mine was uploaded on the 31st of Aug.
It could be both, you as well as your dependent. MyCIC portal doe snot give individual medical status for all individuals in the application.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Any covid treament that can harm your exam cert buddies? @legalfalcon please?
There are no IRCC advisories on it yet. If you have taken any medication or protocols to treat COVID, you should discuss it with your panel physician.

Kinkin

Jan 22, 2021
Hi @Whateverman I have a question regarding your medical exam. Were you asked for to provide proof of vaccination when you did your medicals? Did they attach this proof to your file?

Also did you do your medical in Canada or outside? Thanks!

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
Hi @Whateverman I have a question regarding your medical exam. Were you asked for to provide proof of vaccination when you did your medicals? Did they attach this proof to your file?

Also did you do your medical in Canada or outside? Thanks!
No they never asked about vaccine. I did it in Canada, end of August.

Reactions: Kinkin

nik2021

Oct 4, 2021
Hello, looking forward to get some suggestions. There are three doctors listed for Chicago region can anyone share their experience which one to choose and any idea on current fees ? Thanks

KP29

Dec 31, 2021
Hello guys, wondering if a person is underweight and her/his BMI is abnormal? What are the chances of rejection. Thanks in advance:)

Whateverman

Jul 1, 2020
Hello guys, wondering if a person is underweight and her/his BMI is abnormal? What are the chances of rejection. Thanks in advance:)
BMI Has nothing to do with medical as long as there are no health issues associated to it. If you are skinny but otherwise all healthy - you should be fine

sampiu1989

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Edmonton
AOR Received.
23-01-2021
Hiii all
Just had my re-med in Kolkata. Had to travel from another city bcoz its available here in Kolkata.
And the test centre gave me the paper I have to upload after all the tests were done
And they said all done and clear. We will upload the report by evening.
Any idea if this is it or they can call me for any other tests required again? I mean since they said they will upload their report today.. does it mean my medicals are OK?