16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
dpenabill said:
The real question is whether a PR carrying a visa-exempt passport can obtain the eTA using his or her visa-exempt passport.
Not legally, no.

The IRPA defines a foreign national as such:

foreign national means a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and includes a stateless person. (étranger)
A foreign national is generally required to get a visa:

7 (1) A foreign national may not enter Canada to remain on a temporary basis without first obtaining a temporary resident visa.
There are some exceptions:

Visa exemption — nationality

190 (1) A foreign national is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa if they

(a) are a citizen of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federal Republic of Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland;
This was amended to require an ETA:

7.1 (1) A foreign national referred to in paragraph 7(2)(a) who is exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa and who, on or after March 15, 2016, is seeking to enter Canada by air to remain on a temporary basis is, nevertheless, required to obtain an electronic travel authorization before entering Canada, unless they are exempted by subsection (3) from the requirement to obtain one.
http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2015/2015-04-22/html/sor-dors77-eng.php

A permanent resident is not a foreign national, therefore they are not required to get a visa, therefore they are not required to get an ETA. As such, they are not permitted to get one. This is why CIC states:

You cannot apply for an eTA if you are:

a Canadian citizen or a dual Canadian citizen,
a Canadian permanent resident, or
a U.S. citizen. (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.)
That is, once the eTA system is fully in force, will a Canadian PR be able to use his or her visa-exempt passport to obtain the eTA? If not, if the system screens and identifies PRs and precludes eTA for PRs, that will indeed make returning to Canada more difficult for PRs without a valid PR card and not in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . and may require many PRs who live with a Canadian citizen spouse abroad to obtain a PR TD rather than use their visa-exempt passport to travel to Canada.
When you apply for an ETA, it specifically says you are not permitted to. When you actually apply, it asks if you ever applied to enter Canada, and asks for your UCI if you have. If you don't provide it, they will almost certainly find it, as that is part of the screening process.

Unless you are willing to lie, they will find out. If you do lie, you run a significant risk of being found out later.

IRPA s40:

40 (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation

(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;
That would apply in this case, and you've given them everything they need to prove it. Even if they don't catch you immediately, they might notice when a visa-exempt traveller does not leave, and do an investigation. At that point, it would be pretty trivial to figure out what happened. When an ETA was issued to "John Smith, born in the UK, on this day", and there is a PR with the exact same information, they won't have to look too hard if they want to.

CIC's canned answer is superficial, which in many respects is typical:

No, you will not need an eTA if you are a permanent resident of Canada. When eTA becomes mandatory on March 15, 2016, you will need to travel with your permanent resident card of Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada.

That basically says nothing more than the absolute obvious (a PR abroad with a valid PR card can use the PR card to board a flight destined to Canada . . . same as it has been) with a misleading twist.
It's not misleading. It's "may". You can use a PR card. There are a few exceptions, such as a PRTD. There are a few other exceptions, such as a NEXUS card if travelling from the United States. You might also be "Her Majesty in right of Canada and any member of the Royal Family", in which case the requirement does not apply. You can also be a US national, at which point the ETA requirement is not applicable. You can be "a citizen of France who is a resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon who seeks to enter Canada directly from St. Pierre and Miquelon". You can hold a diplomatic passport. You can transit through Canada as a passenger on a flight stopping in Canada only to refuel while in transit to or from the United States.

What does "otherwise" mean? It is so broad as to be, in effect, meaningless and in some respects misleading. A PR abroad with a valid PR Travel Document, for example?
That's one exception. I listed some of the others.

PRs with a valid PR card could previously board a flight destined to Canada with no other documentation as to authorization to enter Canada.
Yes.

The eTA program does not change this at all. (Individual countries still have their own border controls, which may include other requirements for leaving the country or boarding an international flight, and thus may impose exit controls or may require airlines to require other documentation, such as a passport.)
Yes.

To date, and still, Canadian PRs are technically required to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to board a flight destined for Canada. CIC's response to the question does not address the PR TD situation, but it is quite certain this continues and is not affected by the eTA program.
Yes. The regulations for this are here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5023-eng.html

The carriers are required to enforce this to the best of their abilities:

Passengers carried by transporters must be properly documented for travel to Canada. Transporters are prohibited from carrying to Canada any person who does not hold the prescribed documents required for entry to Canada. Failure to meet this requirement can result in an assessment of an administration fee, as well as prosecution in certain circumstances.
The requirements for PRs and Citizens are:

Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and registered Indians in Canada enter Canada by right. To be accepted for travel, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and registered Indians must be able to produce satisfactory evidence of their identity and status.
Practically, the airline has no way to know if you are a Permanent Resident or not, so if you present them with the documents they need to permit you to travel, they have done their job. The ETA won't change that, however, by requiring you to provide them with an ETA, the government of Canada has the ability to require you to get approval from them before you are permitted to travel. This has the side effect of making it easier for them to catch Permanent Residents who have not met their obligations.

Thus, PRs with a valid PR card OR a PR TD should continue to be allowed to board flights destined for Canada.
Per the regulations that apply to commercial carriers, yes. You may be required to present a passport:

International transportation companies may require travellers to present a passport.
However, you are not required under Canadian law to have one, nor is the carrier required by Canadian law to insist you do. The statute does, however, legally permit them to require one from you before they accept you for travel.

To date, most reports indicate that Canadian PRs in possession of a valid visa-exempt passport can routinely board a flight destined for Canada by presenting their visa-exempt passport, without displaying a PR card or a PR TD. Technically this should not be allowed, but practically this appears to be at least common.
Yes. The airline follows the rules, and you showing a visa exempt passport meets their requirements, as far as they are able to know. Those requirements apply to them. Technically, if you are improperly documented, you cause them to violate the IRPA:

If a transporter has carried an improperly documented person, the transporter will be notified that it is in violation of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Which brings us back to s40 misrepresentation:

for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act
Technically, it's misrepresentation, however as a practical matter, it does not seem to be enforced in any way, shape, or form. CIC and the CBSA mainly seem to care about what you tell them, not what you tell the airline.

Obviously this will at least partially end under the eTA program.
Yes. The only way to get an ETA as a Permanent Resident is to lie. I applied for one (as a test) for an upcoming trip, and they refused me because I was a Permanent Resident. They told me to get a PRTD instead.

Note: there has been NO reliable suggestion I am aware of that airlines might accept an expired PR card for purposes of showing status to enter Canada. I am quite sure that the regulations requiring airlines to screen boarding passengers for status to enter Canada do not allow this. Individual passengers may, on occasion, persuade airline staff otherwise, but this is likely unusual if not rare. Boarding the flight screening is different than POE screening: at the POE, presentation of an expired PR card can facilitate entry.
This is correct. The regulations prohibit the use of expired documents for identification for a commercial carrier. An expired PR card, however, is evidence of identity, and evidence supporting a claim of Permanent Residence. Under the IRPA, it is not considered presumptive proof, but like the CoPR it has evidential value.

Once the eTA program is in full force, visa-exempt travelers will be required to obtain the eTA in advance of the flight destined for Canada. For this purpose, PRs are not really visa-exempt travelers regardless of their possession of a visa-exempt passport: they are PRs. The question is whether or not a Canadian PR in possession of a visa-exempt passport will be able obtain the eTA authorization for travel using that passport.
The answer to that likely depends on whether or not they lie. If they include their UCI, as required by the form, they will be rejected. I've tried it.

Reminder: once a visa-exempt traveler obtains the eTA authorization, that authorization remains valid for a period of . . . I forget, I think it is five years . . . or until the passport expires. The airline has little or no discretion. Travelers with visa-exempt passports (except U.S. citizens and a few others) will have to go through the eTA process in order to have their passport cleared for boarding a flight destined to Canada.
It is indeed 5 years. The "few others" is why they use the phrase may, instead of "must". If you have a diplomatic passport, the rules get a little different even if you are a Permanent Resident.

As I noted, the oft reported practice of Canadian PRs boarding a flight for Canada by displaying a visa-exempt passport (without displaying proof of PR status) will at least partially come to an end under the eTA program. That is because all visa-exempt travelers (U.S. and few others excepted) will have to have their passports cleared through the eTA program. So there will be no just walking up to the gate, presenting a visa-exempt passport, and thereby being allowed to board a flight for Canada.
Yep.

In effect, to just walk to the gate and be allowed to board, the PR will need to display either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document.
It will likely be required prior to check-in, similar to what they currently do for passports.

The key question: what will happen if a visa-exempt PR uses his or her passport to apply for the eTA?

Will the system be designed to screen for and identify visa-exempt passport holders who have Canadian PR status? That's the question.
It did when I tested it.

If the PR in Paris wants to book a flight to Toronto, will he be able to do so just using his visa-exempt passport?
No.

So far, all the CIC information regarding the program indicate that its purpose is other than to screen travelers for PR status. But will it anyway?
It's primary purpose is to screen for inadmissibility. It's part of the Harper changes that included getting entry records from the United States (which was done to help prevent Citizenship fraud), so it's hard to say if nailing PRs that violate their ROs was a secondary purpose, or just a side effect. There are a number of people who obtained Citizenship despite not living in Canada for any length of time, and the government did want to fight that.

We do not know.
The regs are surprisingly clear. CIC is not, but the carriers have to follow the law, and they do, too.

What we do know is that if a PR with a visa-exempt passport makes the eTA application and obtains the eTA authorization, that passport will be good for boarding a flight to Canada for (I think it is five years . . . or until the passport expires). That is, the traveler only needs to go through the eTA once and is then good for . . . five years I think.
Yep. The system is not perfect, but there will be a record, if anyone ever decides to look.

Thus, in the near future some PR with a visa-exempt passport is bound to try this and find out . . . and sooner or later someone trying this will report his or her experience in one of the forums (this one seems the busiest these days).
I already did. Now we just need a few more data points, and someone to try lying (as they inevitably will).

Of course, going forward, even if initially the eTA system allows a PR to obtain the eTA using his visa-exempt passport, that is no guarantee that updates to the system will not suddenly, sometime in the future, screen and identify PRs and preclude eTA for PRs.
Yep. That's a big red flag to keep over your head the rest of your life. Technically, if they wanted to, it could be used to strip someone of Citizenship (even pre C-51). If your PR status was the result of fraud, and your Citizenship was a result of your PR status, you are gambling with something very important.

I would note that the electronic databases have grown considerably more sophisticated in the last several years and that it is very easy for the system to identify CIC clients (including PRs of course) based on passport identification (passport number for example) . . . so it would be very easy for the eTA system to in fact identify any visa-exempt passport as belonging to a PR . . . the question is whether CBSA/CIC will include this in the program's screening functions. (Actually, the question is more in the vein of when will this be included?)
If the passport number itself matches, it's easy. If the person has multiple passports, it likely will not be automated (due to the possibility of false positives), but it will show up in an examination.

This is what we see in criminal databases right now. If you travel across the border, you have to be specifically flagged to be automatically stopped. If you get pulled into secondary, they look by name and approximate birthday, and if anything shows up they have to figure out if it was you or not. This is why people with DUIs can enter Canada repeatedly, yet they end up in secondary for something and then end up banned for being criminally inadmissable.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Finland said:
is there any news rules after march 2015
Do you mean March 2016?

Many are referring to changes effective in March 2016 based on the date that the eTA becomes mandatory. The practical effect, for those who are Canadian PRs, is that now PRs with a visa exempt passport will be required to have a valid PR card or PR Travel Document in order to board a flight destined for Canada, just like PRs without a visa exempt passport have been required to do for a long time.

Despite the language in the warnings posted by CIC for several months, the rules for actual entry into Canada are not affected. However, it can be anticipated that PRs who do not have a currently valid PR card who attempt to enter Canada via a land crossing from the U.S. are likely to face more scrutiny than in years past.

sonnenstern

Star Member
May 22, 2014
For anyone considering to travel by air without their PR card on a VISA exempt passport since introduction of ETA:

It still works, I was able to board my flight back from my home country in april without any questions asked. Arriving at the airport in Canada the only question I was asked by the officer was: Still waiting for your PR card? Answer: Yes...

Overall during the leniency period until fall 2016 one should still be fine travelling without PR card, provided one has a VISA exempt passport. As always, a risk is always present...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sonnenstern said:
For anyone considering to travel by air without their PR card on a VISA exempt passport since introduction of ETA:

It still works, I was able to board my flight back from my home country in april without any questions asked. Arriving at the airport in Canada the only question I was asked by the officer was: Still waiting for your PR card? Answer: Yes...

Overall during the leniency period until fall 2016 one should still be fine travelling without PR card, provided one has a VISA exempt passport. As always, a risk is always present...
Thank for this report.

As you note, of course there remains a risk otherwise. And of course the difficulty for any particular individual facing decisions related to this is that the extent of the risk is uncertain.

A little more detail would help clarify the context. The country in particular is (to my view) a significant factor. Whether the trip itself was the return leg of a scheduled round-trip is another, or was a one-way trip after an extended absence from Canada, or . . . .

The screening at the PoE is of course not really much of an issue for those with PR status, as PRs have a right of entry (statutory right), thus there should be no problem so long as there is no reason for screening officers to perceive PR Residency Obligation compliance issues (and even then, the PR is still entitled to entry).

In any event, not sure why you conclude a PR "should be fine" with a visa-exempt passport during the leniency period when this only illustrates one example, and thus shows that such a PR may be fine but not necessarily will be.

While others disagree with me, I would continue to caution that the most prudent course to follow is to be prepared to comply with the rules for PRs (which are amply stated and emphasized in the forum and at IRCC web pages), and thus depend on presenting just a visa-exempt passport only if it is impractical to comply with the rule for PRs, and if planning to do this, then be prepared for the possibility of delays or even being denied boarding.

I suppose the most salient question, though, is for those PRs with travel plans, expired or expiring PR cards, and for whom obtaining a PR TD would be excessively inconvenient or totally impractical: whether they want to cancel or postpone those travel plans or go ahead with the travel relying on reports like this that they too will be allowed to board a flight to Canada by presenting a visa-exempt passport. To my view that is a very personal decision and what is prudent will depend on a lot of individual factors. In contrast, I recognize some may assert there is little to no worry in doing this, that those with a visa-exempt passport should-be-fine. I am confident the risk is such as to warrant giving more thought to the decision than that.

sonnenstern

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Agreed, it is a personal decision if one wants to take that risk or not. In my case it was a return trip from a european country. I only stayed for four days and the time was too short to apply for a PRTD (I inquired beforehand and was told by VFS that it takes two weeks).

Also take into consideration the leniency period for ETA, I am citing here from the CIC website:

"However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this time, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada."

The airline does not have the information if I am a PR or not. Therefore it was fine to board the flight, since ETA wasn't mandatory yet.
When I disputed for myself if I should travel or not, I searched the internet all over for reports of people who had done this, and found many reports pre-ETA, but none yet during the leniency period. In some cases, one has to travel in an emergency situation and in this case, until fall 2016, visa exempt passports have some reason to believe they are able to board their flight and make such travel plans happen. After fall 2016, this situation will change of course.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sonnenstern said:
The airline does not have the information if I am a PR or not.
Yep this is really the only thing that matters. There have been a few cases now since the March eTA date, and in each case the airline appeared not to be able to see PR status of the traveler, so allowed them to board the flight as a foreign national. I would approach this situation the same as people have done up to now... just make sure you do NOT tell the airline you're a PR, and instead pretend you're a foreign national traveling to Canada on visa-exempt passport. I suspect this will not change until the next key eTA date in the Fall when it finally becomes mandatory for all travelers (not sure if they've announced a specific date yet).

People should also know that CIC/CBSA has always had dire warnings on their websites that all PRs must show a valid PR card or risk being denied boarding... but everyone knew this promise wasn't worth the paper it was printed on as there is no way to enforce this unless an airline can determine ones PR status on their own. I assume this will continue for a while longer... unless we see a real life situation indicating otherwise.

reikiprince

Apr 28, 2015
Hi

I landed with wife and child in July 2014 and got our pr cards effective till Sep 2019.

I was an indian passport holder when I landed and now I got my Portugal passport which is European and visa exempt to go to canada.i have Uae residence visa on my Portugal passport as I work in Abu Dhabi.

I am planning to send my wife and child who are still indian passport holders and having valid PR till Sep 2019. They will go to canada in September 2016 ie 3 years before their PR ends. Will they face problem to enterCanada.They are still indian passport holders as they did not apply for Portugal passports.

I want to continue working in Abu Dhabi and visit them every month from Sep 2016. I will land in USA and take a greyhound bus to canada to visit them for a week every month.My pr card is valid till sep 2019.

My question is should I enter canada as PR or as a visa exempt tourist.If I enter canada with my Portugal passport as a visa exempt tourist through land border of USA and hide that I have PR since I entered canada with indian passport for my initial PR will immigration be able to detect that I am same person

if I enter honestly as PR through land border Can I enter and exit multiple times till sep 2019 without being reported as I am not going to meet 730 days residence rule.can they report me even if my Pr is valid till 2019.

I just want to visit my wife and child for 2 years when they are there. Even if I am reported can I then enter with my Portugal passport as tourist or they can refuse me entry even if I have visa exempt passport and enter through land border of USA?

Please guide me as I am very depressed as I will miss my wife and child when they go to canada and just want to visit them every month. I have Middle East Uae residence visa on my Portugal passport.
Regards
Reikiprince

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
reikiprince said:
I am planning to send my wife and child who are still indian passport holders and having valid PR till Sep 2019. They will go to canada in September 2016 ie 3 years before their PR ends. Will they face problem to enterCanada.They are still indian passport holders as they did not apply for Portugal passports.
No, they have valid PR cards and will be in compliance with the RO, so will face no problems at all entering Canada.

I want to continue working in Abu Dhabi and visit them every month from Sep 2016. I will land in USA and take a greyhound bus to canada to visit them for a week every month.My pr card is valid till sep 2019.
Since your PR card is valid until Sept 2019, there is really no need to cross into Canada by land. You could fly here directly. Either way, you will face CBSA and there is no more or less chance you will be reported for not meeting RO.

My question is should I enter canada as PR or as a visa exempt tourist.If I enter canada with my Portugal passport as a visa exempt tourist through land border of USA and hide that I have PR since I entered canada with indian passport for my initial PR will immigration be able to detect that I am same person
Yes if you go to secondary inspection, they can certainly determine your PR status even if you use a new country passport. And if they think you were trying to deceive them, you could be in a lot of trouble.

if I enter honestly as PR through land border Can I enter and exit multiple times till sep 2019 without being reported as I am not going to meet 730 days residence rule.can they report me even if my Pr is valid till 2019.
Since you landed in July 2014, you won't be in violation of the RO until sometime after July 2017 (adding days you were physically in Canada up to then). Until then you can come and go from Canada freely with no worries.

Once you are in violation of the RO, you could be reported for not meeting RO at either an airport or land border.
If you're reported you can decide to renounce your PR on the spot and enter as visitor instead. Your wife can then sponsor you for PR later, and during this time you can enter Canada as a visa-exempt visitor.

Or you could decide to appeal the decision. Although in your case since you plan to go back overseas to work, I can't see how any appeal would be successful for you.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Rob_TO said:
but everyone knew this promise wasn't worth the paper it was printed on as there is no way to enforce this unless an airline can determine ones PR status on their own.
The eTA lets them skip that (once launched). If you're a PR, you don't get an eTA. If you don't get an eTA, they don't let you board. The airline doesn't have to know anything.

As for Canada finding out, even if you do lie, they will attempt to match based on the combination of name, birthday, and place of birth. They use algorithms like Soundex to match similar sounding names. If it doesn't match, you can likely get away from it.

If they want to, they can use those as a nice indicator of who to look for Residency Obligations violations.

roopakamath

Apr 26, 2016
You said "If you're reported you can decide to renounce your PR on the spot and enter as visitor instead. Your wife can then sponsor you for PR later, and during this time you can enter Canada as a visa-exempt visitor."

Please advise if with the Portugal passport which is a visa exempt to Canada and I enter through land border of USA and declare that I am PR but want to enter as tourist will they allow me to enter even if I have an UAE residence visa on the Portugal passport. I have heard now they have stopped issuing tourist visas to Indian passport holders who have UAE residence visa on their passports. Then if I have UAE residence visa on Portugal passport can they deny me entry as visitor through land border of USA.

I am not interested in PR but entering only as tourist to visit my wife and child.

regards
Reikiprince

Rob_TO said:
No, they have valid PR cards and will be in compliance with the RO, so will face no problems at all entering Canada.

Since your PR card is valid until Sept 2019, there is really no need to cross into Canada by land. You could fly here directly. Either way, you will face CBSA and there is no more or less chance you will be reported for not meeting RO.

Yes if you go to secondary inspection, they can certainly determine your PR status even if you use a new country passport. And if they think you were trying to deceive them, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Since you landed in July 2014, you won't be in violation of the RO until sometime after July 2017 (adding days you were physically in Canada up to then). Until then you can come and go from Canada freely with no worries.

Once you are in violation of the RO, you could be reported for not meeting RO at either an airport or land border.
If you're reported you can decide to renounce your PR on the spot and enter as visitor instead. Your wife can then sponsor you for PR later, and during this time you can enter Canada as a visa-exempt visitor.

Or you could decide to appeal the decision. Although in your case since you plan to go back overseas to work, I can't see how any appeal would be successful for you.