+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA - PR with expired card

xocomil

Apr 6, 2011
I'm a Canadian citizen. My partner and kids have Canadian PR status. Their cards expired last fall. We applied for new cards, but they were not mailed out to my family's address in Canada. We have to pick them up in person.

However, we are living in Central America. Getting a PRTD is a bit complicated / expensive for the three of them (double the cost of renewing the PR Cards). Plus we're supposed to fly back to Canada in 4 1/2 weeks time.

I spoke to the airline (aeromexico) and it appears they need to have valid PR cards / valid PRTD / eTA to be able to board the flight (I have Canadian passport). Is it possible to apply for an eTA instead? Has anyone done this? I could enter the info for my kids, but didn't proceed to pay the $7, in case it raises any issues.

Please advise.

Many thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
No, PRs are ineligible to apply for eTAs.

To board a plane to Canada they must have valid PR card or PR Travel Document, no exceptions.

Or they can fly to USA (with necessary US visa), and enter Canada via a land border. For land border crossing they don't need PR Travel Doc, just passport plus COPR or expired PR card is fine.

Reactions: xocomil

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Applying for an eTA won’t cause them any problems. It will either accept it or reject the application because they are Permenent residents and not eligible for an eTA (most likely the latter). You can try for the eTA, but if it fails you are out 7 bucks and will need a PRTD. The other choice would be to fly into the US (if you have a visa) and drive/walk across the birder and continue your trip from there. As long as they meet RO, they can cross the land border with an expired PR card and their passport.

xocomil

Apr 6, 2011
Flying into Calgary - the tickets are already bought. Flying into the US and crossing border by land is not an easy option out in the prairies.

The PRTD (with processing charges, photos, courier fees, etc) will be more than $500 CAD for the three of them.

I tried calling Aeromexico to see if they would make any exception (with expired PR cards, passports, me with my Can passport, and printed email from CIC detailing pick up for their new cards). But it looks like it'd be unlikely to get on board.

Wondering whether to try the eTA route ... $21 is a heck of a lot cheaper than $500 (seeing as it's just to be able to get in and get the cards). But don't want to risk not being able to get on the plane either. Even if the eTA was approved, could it still be cancelled in the 5 weeks before we fly? Anyway to find out without paying the $7?

I appreciate your responses / advice!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
There are quite a few examples on this forum of people who were PRs years ago, forgot all about it and then tried applying for an ETA. In response they were offered apply for a PRTD or renounce PR status then apply for an ETA. This sort of implies the checks in the system for PRs applying for ETAs are pretty robust given some of these people had PR status 30/40 years ago so odds are even slimmer would imagine for relatively recent PRs.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The odds of their getting eTA are remote, at best.

If somehow the eTA applications are approved, it is very likely they will have no problem boarding the flight to Canada. But again, there is virtually no chance of getting eTA.

You can make the application for just one and see how that goes. The outcome is known very soon after making an online application.

But overall, unless you can navigate the process to obtain PR Travel Documents in time for the flight to Calgary, you will almost certainly need to make other arrangements.

Note: if your family can travel to the U.S., you can fly to places like Detroit or Buffalo, NY, cross the border and resume taking public transportation once in Canada, including flying from Toronto to Calgary.

Overall it looks like there is going to be some added expenses for this trip, one way or the other.

Reactions: xocomil and scylla

xocomil

Apr 6, 2011
Hmmmm .... consensus seems to be that eTA is VERY unlikely. Man they've made this a difficult and expensive process. Wished I'd have waited to apply for the PR until I knew we'd be staying in Canada for awhile.

Any other advice please let me know.

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hmmmm .... consensus seems to be that eTA is VERY unlikely. Man they've made this a difficult and expensive process. Wished I'd have waited to apply for the PR until I knew we'd be staying in Canada for awhile.

Any other advice please let me know.

Thanks!
Unfortunately that's pretty much the lot.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/facts.html
Travellers who cannot apply for an eTA and need to carry other identification:
If an eTA was granted by accident, it could easily be subsequently taken away again, once the error was detected. This might happen at any time up to check-in, leaving you stranded.

Reactions: xocomil and scylla

xocomil

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks all. Sounds like I better prepare myself for an expensive and time consuming process to pick up the PR cards.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Rent a car from Seatle and drive 12 hurs you will be in calcary. Return the car back to Seatle and you fly back. Looks this is the simplest way. To save money, you can sleep in the car at the rest area.