+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ETA got Cancelled the same day I was about to board the plane

Di95

Jun 12, 2020
Hello!
Last November my ETA got cancelled the day I was about to board my flight to Canada, actually I was on my boarding scale when I received the email.
The email stipulated the next information:

Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.

Your application has been cancelled for the following reason(s):
You have misrepresented of withheld material facts relation to a matter that induced or could have induced an error in the administration of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act which would render you inadmissible to Canada as per section 40(1)(a).

Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.

You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to canada by air. If you decide to travel to Canada, you may experience delays or be prevented from boarding your flight and/or entering Canada.

Any ideas of why does this happened? I've never traveled to Canada before and my eTA got immediately approved 4 months before my flight, yet they cancelled it the same day. The airline I was travelling with gave me my boarding pass with no problems and I had to comeback from the boarding room and tell the airline about the email I had just received, they reached Canadian authorities and they confirmed that my eTA was cancelled. Airline told me that it was really weird as they received a list every morning with all of the passengers information who are flying to Canada, every passenger with interviews at arrival or cancelled eTAs are indicated in those lists and my file was clean that morning.
I would like to know who I have to address this issue to? Because what I understand for this email is that I need to clarify whatever went wrong on my file with the autorithies of Canadian Immigration, but there's no email or phone I can reach to nor a clear explanation of what the problem was, section 40(1)(a) it's pretty vague and I really can't imagine what went wrong. I was stuck at the scale airport for a day, lost holiday days from work and a lot of money for all my flights, holiday bookings & of course the eTA itself.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Di95

Jun 12, 2020
Hi Bella! Thanks for the information, a lot of things happened since then, I was checking my email today and remembered I had that unsolved issue and started looking for helpful information, I'll probably wait until COVID 19 is better anyway, obviously it's not time for Holiday and I would keep in track for every detail that may present at immigration around the world after the pandemic, just wanted to get helpful information for my problem

Thank you so much again!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Bella! Thanks for the information, a lot of things happened since then, I was checking my email today and remembered I had that unsolved issue and started looking for helpful information, I'll probably wait until COVID 19 is better anyway, obviously it's not time for Holiday and I would keep in track for every detail that may present at immigration around the world after the pandemic, just wanted to get helpful information for my problem

Thank you so much again!
Most common reason this seems to happen is due to a failure to declare something in your application which CBSA / IRCC discovers later. Often this can be a visa that was refused to a different country or having been denied entry to another country. Sometimes it's a criminality issue. We would need more information to make better guesses about the reason.

Reactions: bellaluna

Di95

Jun 12, 2020
Most common reason this seems to happen is due to a failure to declare something in your application which CBSA / IRCC discovers later. Often this can be a visa that was refused to a different country or having been denied entry to another country. Sometimes it's a criminality issue. We would need more information to make better guesses about the reason.
Hello Scylla!

Thanks for answering and trying to help!

I've been thinking about this as well, but for sure I did not lie on my application (that's a pretty dangerous and pointless thing for anyone to do).
It's going to be really sad if the following is the problem and I'll be thankful with your opinion... you see, I'm 24 years old now, but when I was 9 or so my family took me in a Holiday trip to Cuba for almost a week, I came back to Mexico, and later on at about 12 my grandparents and uncles invited me to Disney on the USA (my parents weren't travelling with us because my sister suffers from a condition that classifies her as a disabled person, she was little and it was very hard for them to take care of her at the moment). When my mother and I went to the US consulate for my american visa it was denied, they didn't gave us a reason, later on my parents tried to research about the possible causes and find out that it was probably because I was underage and I wasn't traveling with my parents but my grannys (although I already had flights, hotels & Disney passes with my name on them). Then when I was 18, my grannys encouraged me to try and get the US visa again for me to go out on Holiday with them, I was at college at the time, my family does not have any economic problems so I tried it but I wasn't really expecting a good response because of the way they denied it the last time... and I wasn't wrong it was denied again... The US consuler executive that received me the second time was way more friendly and really shocked when I didn't tried to ask him anything when he refused my american visa, he stopped me from going home and he encouraged me to reapply for it once I were 21 years old (which is the official adulthood age on the USA), have finished college, got my degree and was a formal employee, he said I may get lucky then. When I applied for the Canadian eTA my intention was only for holiday purposes as well, I'm a formal employee of a logistics international company, I literally work for a company who has offices in all the world, I've been in there for 2 years, I already finished my degree in (this is funny) International Relations in a world-renowned University, I have no economic problems and I did say the truth in my application when they ask if you have been denied an eTA or visa from another country, I explained how things happened back then because they required me to do so on my application, I did not lie about my family taking me on holiday to Cuba when I was a child, and I was really happy when my eTA was accepted at first, so I cannot imagine what is going on, seems like all my attempts on trying to have a holiday in another country are failing :(

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello Scylla!

Thanks for answering and trying to help!

I've been thinking about this as well, but for sure I did not lie on my application (that's a pretty dangerous and pointless thing for anyone to do).
It's going to be really sad if the following is the problem and I'll be thankful with your opinion... you see, I'm 24 years old now, but when I was 9 or so my family took me in a Holiday trip to Cuba for almost a week, I came back to Mexico, and later on at about 12 my grandparents and uncles invited me to Disney on the USA (my parents weren't travelling with us because my sister suffers from a condition that classifies her as a disabled person, she was little and it was very hard for them to take care of her at the moment). When my mother and I went to the US consulate for my american visa it was denied, they didn't gave us a reason, later on my parents tried to research about the possible causes and find out that it was probably because I was underage and I wasn't traveling with my parents but my grannys (although I already had flights, hotels & Disney passes with my name on them). Then when I was 18, my grannys encouraged me to try and get the US visa again for me to go out on Holiday with them, I was at college at the time, my family does not have any economic problems so I tried it but I wasn't really expecting a good response because of the way they denied it the last time... and I wasn't wrong it was denied again... The US consuler executive that received me the second time was way more friendly and really shocked when I didn't tried to ask him anything when he refused my american visa, he stopped me from going home and he encouraged me to reapply for it once I were 21 years old (which is the official adulthood age on the USA), have finished college, got my degree and was a formal employee, he said I may get lucky then. When I applied for the Canadian eTA my intention was only for holiday purposes as well, I'm a formal employee of a logistics international company, I literally work for a company who has offices in all the world, I've been in there for 2 years, I already finished my degree in (this is funny) International Relations in a world-renowned University, I have no economic problems and I did say the true in my application when they ask if you have been denied an eTA or visa from another country, I explained how things happened back then because they required me to do so on my application, I did not lie about my family taking me on holiday to Cuba when I was a child, and I was really happy when my eTA was accepted at first, so I cannot imagine what is going on, seems like all my attempts on trying to have a holiday in another country are failing :(
1. Did you declare the 2 US refusals on your ETA application? If not, then that's misrepresentation.

Reactions: scylla

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
That’s why I think it’s alarming that there are a few recorded cases online of people whose eTAs are cancelled by mistake the last minute.

I know we’re easy to bring out the pitchforks on this forum when someone asks for help over a refusal or cancellation, but there’s already some claims of IRCC making similar mistakes.

Reactions: Di95