+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry for further examination

gholikhan

May 6, 2021
My spouse and I entered Canada 2 weeks ago as part of a parental sponsorship application which was approved. After 5 hours at the port of entry (TO), our passports were taken and they took pictures, finger prints, weight and height information. We were issued a form called "Entry for further examination or admissibility hearing". The officer marked "further examination" and asked us to return in 6 weeks. What is the potential outcome? What can we expect on our return? How should we prepare? Any help is much appreciated.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My spouse and I entered Canada 2 weeks ago as part of a parental sponsorship application which was approved. After 5 hours at the port of entry (TO), our passports were taken and they took pictures, finger prints, weight and height information. We were issued a form called "Entry for further examination or admissibility hearing". The officer marked "further examination" and asked us to return in 6 weeks. What is the potential outcome? What can we expect on our return? How should we prepare? Any help is much appreciated.
So you entered with stamped passport/COPR and you got this from parent sponsorship? This is the first time I heard about this for parents landing the first time. This looks very serious and you may need to consult with an immigration lawyer.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/detention-hearings/Pages/hearings.aspx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Get a lawyer. There must be a reason why this happened and you must have some idea of what the problem is based on the questions that would have been asked. Do either of you have an undeclared crime or a recent criminal charge? Anything you may have misrepresented in your application?

gholikhan

May 6, 2021
Get a lawyer. There must be a reason why this happened and you must have some idea of what the problem is based on the questions that would have been asked. Do either of you have an undeclared crime or a recent criminal charge? Anything you may have misrepresented in your application?
Not that we are aware of. We had the COPR and TRV as part of a parental sponsorship application and answered the officer's question exactly as the application record. We asked if we can have a lawyer present and the officer denied us, as we are not detained yet. I just don't know what to expect on the return date. I was told we can't have a lawyer present as its a reexamination. Not sure how to prepare for it. Any help would be appreciated.

gholikhan

May 6, 2021
So you entered with stamped passport/COPR and you got this from parent sponsorship? This is the first time I heard about this for parents landing the first time. This looks very serious and you may need to consult with an immigration lawyer.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/detention-hearings/Pages/hearings.aspx
The officer marked examination not admission hearing on the form so I am assuming there won't be a hearing, since we were also told we cannot bring a lawyer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The officer marked examination not admission hearing on the form so I am assuming there won't be a hearing, since we were also told we cannot bring a lawyer.
Just to be clear, are you the parents in the parent sponsorship application or are you dependents in the parent sponsorship application?

I would order your GCMS notes asap. They will take 30 days to arrive. They may provide some insights.

gholikhan

May 6, 2021
Just to be clear, are you the parents in the parent sponsorship application or are you dependents in the parent sponsorship application?

I would order your GCMS notes asap. They will take 30 days to arrive. They may provide some insights.
We am the parents in the parental sponsorship application who landed in Canada. My son is the sponsor and Canadian citizen. What is GCMS and how do I go about that? Thank you for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: gholikhan

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Unfortunately this is quite unusual for the parents sponsorship so it is very hard to help in any way without the slightest clue about the issue. Maybe try to recall the questions that were asked or at least the theme, asking about medical, background check, travels... Based on the questions they asked, it should give an indication of what seems to be a concern and therefore could help you prepare proper documentation/support for your case.

Also, even if you can't bring the lawyer, I would suggest still hiring one as they may be able to help you prepare for it and even determine maybe what the issue is with your file.

Reactions: gholikhan

gholikhan

May 6, 2021
Unfortunately this is quite unusual for the parents sponsorship so it is very hard to help in any way without the slightest clue about the issue. Maybe try to recall the questions that were asked or at least the theme, asking about medical, background check, travels... Based on the questions they asked, it should give an indication of what seems to be a concern and therefore could help you prepare proper documentation/support for your case.

Also, even if you can't bring the lawyer, I would suggest still hiring one as they may be able to help you prepare for it and even determine maybe what the issue is with your file.
Thank you. They asked about previous refusals and we provided the same answer that we had provided in the application. There were previous visa refusals. We disclosed them. Complete transparency. We sat waiting for the officer in the back room for about 5 hours. She came back with the notice to return and said you have to come back. I will try to get a consult from a lawyer.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Not knowing your actual situation, my guess is that maybe you disclosed only refusals/order to leave from Canada or the US maybe, but missed some refusal/order to leave from other countries? If they focused on that, try to really make sure that you did not forget any other refusal, from ANY country. If none of those and you disclosed other refusals, just get as much documentation as you can and expect them to look into this in particular.

gholikhan

May 6, 2021
Thank you for all your responses. We went back for further examination and after 8 hours of questioning we were told that there will be an admissibility hearing with date to be determined.

Does anyone have any idea as how long this might take? We were expecting to land with PR and now we are on a temporary status. We will have to look into travel insurance and I just don't know how long this may take.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for all your responses. We went back for further examination and after 8 hours of questioning we were told that there will be an admissibility hearing with date to be determined.

Does anyone have any idea as how long this might take? We were expecting to land with PR and now we are on a temporary status. We will have to look into travel insurance and I just don't know how long this may take.
It's really hard to say given COVID. I would recommend that you be prepared for a wait of several months.

Based on this second meeting, I'm assuming you now know the reasons for the inadmissibility hearing. If you don't have one already, you'll want to hire an excellent immigration lawyer to support you through this process.

Rupi**12

Feb 19, 2022
Hello. Same thing happen to me. I landed on montreal airport as permanent residence. The immigration officer seize my passport and landing documents and issue the form entry for further examination under section 23. She said someone will call me for appointment. I don’t know anything what’s wrong. Does anyone know what is next procedure or they can deport me?