+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry/Exit date from Canada to meet RO requirements

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi All,
I would be completing 730 days RO in Canada on 22nd June 2015, with 5 entry/exits from June 2010 to June 2015. Please let me know if I should count the day I landed into Canada and the day I departed from Canada(in each of these 5 visits) to arrive at 730 days or are these partial days to be omitted in my calculations ?
Thanks in advance

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
For PR RO: The departure date and the arrival date for your trips count as a full day IN Canada.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For purposes of the PR residency obligation, dates of entry and dates of exit ordinarily both count.

I do not know, though, if the date of landing counts.

However, cutting it so close that whether or not this or that particular day counts is risky. So risky as to be foolish.

In this regard some reminders:

-- February 29, 2012 does NOT count.

-- As of the fifth year anniversary of the date of landing, the rolling five year period begins, and thus for someone who landed in June 2010, days present in 2010 begin to fall out of the calculation as the same date in 2015 is reached, thus --

-- -- as of the fifth year anniversary of the date of landing, the date of landing for sure will not count because it is outside the relevant five year time period

-- -- and, likewise, no date in June 2010 will count after the same day of the month in June 2015; and so on

Additionally, it is not what you know, but what the evidence shows, and a lot of the evidence is subject to interpretation and inference. It is very easy to infer that someone who was outside Canada most of the time, such as a PR outside Canada for more than 1000 days in a five year period, say, outside Canada 1090 days compared to, as claimed say 735 days in Canada, quite possibly was outside Canada more than the individual is acknowledging, unless there is strong evidence to document presence for those 735 days.

Not too long ago CBSA and even CIC seemed to be fairly liberal, if not lenient, in how they assessed a PR's compliance with the residency obligation. The trend, however, appears to be toward more strict scrutiny and enforcement. Thus, again, cutting it close to the 730 minimum can be rather risky.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ryan007 said:
Hi All,
I would be completing 730 days RO in Canada on 22nd June 2015, with 5 entry/exits from June 2010 to June 2015. Please let me know if I should count the day I landed into Canada and the day I departed from Canada(in each of these 5 visits) to arrive at 730 days or are these partial days to be omitted in my calculations ?
Thanks in advance
I hope you arent applying the exact same day you qualify and not letting few days pass to account for possible errors and admin processing. Wait at least 2 extra days for each trip you made. 10 days in your case.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
CanV said:
I hope you arent applying the exact same day you qualify and not letting few days pass to account for possible errors and admin processing. Wait at least 2 extra days for each trip you made. 10 days in your case.
This is a good idea. There have been a few people who applied with 1095 days. They later found out (whether themselves or at the interview) that they forgot a few trips and was shot a few days.

I applied with roughly a 2 week buffer. I had actually had a error with one of my trips (off by a day) and the interviewer caught it. But then she said that it is just one day and I applied with a lot of extra days so it is fine.

Oops, I just want to clear up that my interview was for Citizenship. I got confused and forgot I was in the PR forum instead. That is why I mentioned 1095 in case anyone was confused.

But still the advice is good. You want to be over the minimum instead of right at the minimum days.

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks all for your guidance. I have buffered in 10 extra days before I apply for my PR renewal. i.e. 740 days stay in total in Canada.

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks once again to all who contributed to answering my query.

I am planning to visit my home country for my mothers 1st anniversary memorial mass which is on the 23rd of Sept 2015.
Incase I book my return ticket and attach a copy of the same to my PR application form, would the processing be expedited ?
I am a bit concerned as I have been reading delays of 5-6 months in processing PR Renewal applicants.

Please advice.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ryan007 said:
Thanks once again to all who contributed to answering my query.

I am planning to visit my home country for my mothers 1st anniversary memorial mass which is on the 23rd of Sept 2015.
Incase I book my return ticket and attach a copy of the same to my PR application form, would the processing be expedited ?
I am a bit concerned as I have been reading delays of 5-6 months in processing PR Renewal applicants.

Please advice.
Applying with ten days margin is probably OK for someone who is staying in Canada . . . . for someone who can handle the risk of some delays in processing if CIC is concerned about compliance with the residency obligation and makes requests for additional information or documentation.

Making an urgent processing application based on just 740 days, in turn supported by a purchased ticket to go abroad soon, could be cutting it close.

Of course the return date, and thus the planned duration of the trip, matter. And the purpose of the trip may matter as well. Other background and current circumstances may also matter.

In particular, this is an area in which how it goes for one person does not indicate much about how it will go for another person. There are many it depends factors in play.

The real problem is that while CIC does provide urgent processing for PR card replacement/renewal for many PRs, there are NO guarantees, and for the PR who cuts it close, the risks of not being given expedited processing increase, and indeed there is some elevated risk of delays in addition to the normal processing timeline.

Also be aware that if you are relying on days present in 2010, and if in going abroad again in the latter part of 2015 your presence in Canada within the preceding five years falls below 730 (as days counted in 2010 fall outside the five year time frame), a new PR card does not mean CBSA cannot conduct a residency evaluation to assess your compliance with the residency obligation upon your arrival at the POE when returning to Canada. For clarity: as of the day you return to Canada you need to have been present in Canada for at least 730 days in the five years immediately preceding that day, even if you have a nearly brand new PR card that will not expire until 2020.