+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry documents for American

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
If you want to add your visitor spouse to your AHCIP, he needs a Visitor Record, not a history report. A VR is issued by CBSA upon entry or by IRCC when applying for extensions.

Note that asking for a VR when entering Canada is a double-edged sword. It shows CBSA more of an intent to live in Canada and therefore increases the risk of being refused entry.
Thanks for the reply! I just checked the form and it's not limited to Visitor Record. Under "other" they have "Legal entitlement to be in Canada - Must be FEDERALLY issued with NAME and BIRTHDATE" and one of the options listed under this category is "Canada entry document". A previous thread I found, the OP had shown her stamped passport to be added to AHCIP. If they're looking for a federal document with name, birthdate, and entry date, then traveler history report could satisfy that, no? I will call tomorrow and check with them. I don't want to ask for a visitor record for the exact reason you stated, that it increases risk of being denied entry.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Okay, to update: I called Alberta Health and they said any document from Immigration showing he's staying in Alberta for six months would work, including a stamped passport, visitor record, letter, or any application that shows he intends to be in Alberta for at least six months. I asked if a travel history report would work, which shows date of entry and she said that would work.

But now I'm not sure whether to believe that is the right info, because I had to explain several times to her that as an American my spouse wouldn't receive a stamp in his passport since he is visa exempt and she didn't seem to quite understand that he doesn't need to apply for a visa and so wouldn't have any visa documents.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
update 2: called a registry office and explained the situation, she double checked and said the travel document I mentioned (the history report with date of entry) would work since it will show them the length of time he's been here (i.e. under six months).

Definitely feel reassured by this! So it looks like we'll be going that route and hopefully don't run into any issues.

I'll update the thread again with what actually happens once he arrives and we get the history report.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply! I just checked the form and it's not limited to Visitor Record. Under "other" they have "Legal entitlement to be in Canada - Must be FEDERALLY issued with NAME and BIRTHDATE" and one of the options listed under this category is "Canada entry document". A previous thread I found, the OP had shown her stamped passport to be added to AHCIP. If they're looking for a federal document with name, birthdate, and entry date, then traveler history report could satisfy that, no? I will call tomorrow and check with them. I don't want to ask for a visitor record for the exact reason you stated, that it increases risk of being denied entry.
update 2: called a registry office and explained the situation, she double checked and said the travel document I mentioned (the history report with date of entry) would work since it will show them the length of time he's been here (i.e. under six months).

Definitely feel reassured by this! So it looks like we'll be going that route and hopefully don't run into any issues.

I'll update the thread again with what actually happens once he arrives and we get the history report.
I would not trust that the history report is accepted, as it does not appear to state how long a person is actually allowed to stay in Canada. The date of entry does not confirm that a person was actually granted the full 6 months; for all AHCIP knows, CBSA could have limited the stay to a week.

If AHCIP has said that the stamp is accepted, then he should ask for that. It is far less risky than asking for a VR.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
I would not trust that the history report is accepted, as it does not appear to state how long a person is actually allowed to stay in Canada. The date of entry does not confirm that a person was actually granted the full 6 months; for all AHCIP knows, CBSA could have limited the stay to a week.

If AHCIP has said that the stamp is accepted, then he should ask for that. It is far less risky than asking for a VR.
I spoke with Alberta Health again and they said if his intent is to stay in Alberta then he can apply, after I said he'd be on visitor status but applying for PR.

If CBSA gives him a stamp for less than 6 months, then kind of screwed since AH wants to see he's eligible to stay for minimum 6 months. My understanding is that presumption of allowed to stay 6 months unless otherwise noted by CBSA. From this website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/about-visitor-visa.html) it says that if not given stamp, then allowed to stay 6 months. So can't we show no stamp in his passport + date of entry on history report to show he's allowed to stay 6 months and those 6 months haven't elapsed?

From another thread (bold mine):
Replying again to add, we just went to a registry and my wife said she recently got married and wanted to add her wife to her insurance. We got a form to fill out and I had to show my passport as the lady there looked at my last entry into Canada stamp as a way of calculating the six month cutoff point. So that insurance card of mine (and the coverage) expired six months after my entry to Canada, on the day my visitor status expired.

Then I just got some basic coverage from a private insurance company to cover any emergencies between that point and me getting my work permit (visitor status expired in April, I got my work permit in May).
It sounds like only entry date was given on the stamp in the above case and it wasn't an issue?

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I spoke with Alberta Health again and they said if his intent is to stay in Alberta then he can apply, after I said he'd be on visitor status but applying for PR.

If CBSA gives him a stamp for less than 6 months, then kind of screwed since AH wants to see he's eligible to stay for minimum 6 months. My understanding is that presumption of allowed to stay 6 months unless otherwise noted by CBSA. From this website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/about-visitor-visa.html) it says that if not given stamp, then allowed to stay 6 months. So can't we show no stamp in his passport + date of entry on history report to show he's allowed to stay 6 months and those 6 months haven't elapsed?

From another thread (bold mine):

It sounds like only entry date was given on the stamp in the above case and it wasn't an issue?

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the advice.
You could try. I honestly can't say if it would be accepted.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
You could try. I honestly can't say if it would be accepted.
Yeah, I wish it was more clear exactly what they required. I'll tell him to ask for an entry stamp but not to push if they don't want to give one. If they don't give, then will try the travel history report, I guess.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dang. And I suppose it would go straight to IRCC? Or do they mail it to you and you're suppose to include with extension application?
Not sure what you mean. The Visitor Record is mailed to you after the extension is approved.