+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry documents for American

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
What sort of entry documents can I get for my American spouse who is here on visitor status? And from where can I get it? I would like to add him to my provincial healthcare account but it says we need to show a Canada entry document for spouses who have work/study/visit status.

Thanks.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
You can get a Travel History Report from CBSA, the info about it is here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

It sounds like you've checked, but just be sure that your province covers people with visitor status, because most don't. I live in NS and they'll only cover citizens, PRs, or people with work permits that are valid for over a year.
Thanks for the link! It says the request can take 30 days to process. Is there a more immediate route we can go? He'll arrive in a couple weeks. I've heard you can ask at airport customs and immigration but I don't know if it would subject him to more questions on why he wants one? I would like to add him as soon as possible after he lands

Yup, I checked for Alberta. They accept spouses with visitor status if the other spouse is a resident.

Reactions: phaeo

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What sort of entry documents can I get for my American spouse who is here on visitor status? And from where can I get it? I would like to add him to my provincial healthcare account but it says we need to show a Canada entry document for spouses who have work/study/visit status.

Thanks.
Normally, a CBSA stamp in the passport would be sufficient to show a legal entry. However, he might have to specifically ask for this to be done, as he passes through the immigration primary line. Kiosk entry will not provide a stamp.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Normally, a CBSA stamp in the passport would be sufficient to show a legal entry. However, he might have to specifically ask for this to be done, as he passes through the immigration primary line. Kiosk entry will not provide a stamp.
Thanks! Do you think they will consider it odd if he asks for one? We're trying to avoid anything that may raise any flags since we want to do an inland application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks! Do you think they will consider it odd if he asks for one? We're trying to avoid anything that may raise any flags since we want to do an inland application.
They may but he can simply explain that he wants to keep a record of entries for later use.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Yeah, just worried they might ask for what possible later use or more detailed questions.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
The might also give stamp for less than 6 months right? Eg, Especially if he says he's only staying for a month or so and they give him a stamp for only one month?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The might also give stamp for less than 6 months right? Eg, Especially if he says he's only staying for a month or so and they give him a stamp for only one month?
Is that the same as the visitor history report mentioned above?
I don't think so. A Visitor Record is a document attached to the passport that explicitly states the individual entry information and the permitted stay period. It's often used to vary the permitted stay period, usually downward.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
I don't think so. A Visitor Record is a document attached to the passport that explicitly states the individual entry information and the permitted stay period. It's often used to vary the permitted stay period, usually downward.
Sounds like it'd be better to get the visitor history report or ask for the stamp then, hmmm.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Thanks!

I think we'll just end up getting the visitor history report and wait the one month. Don't want to risk anything asking airport immigration.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks.
If you want to add your visitor spouse to your AHCIP, he needs a Visitor Record, not a history report. A VR is issued by CBSA upon entry or by IRCC when applying for extensions.

Note that asking for a VR when entering Canada is a double-edged sword. It shows CBSA more of an intent to live in Canada and therefore increases the risk of being refused entry.